1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playing on dvd player

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by mudflap, Sep 23, 2004.

1. mudflap

mudflap Guest

Having a problem. Some movies I copied are playing on my dvd player and some aren't. All copied the same way, same discs,and same program. Also some movies will play then you stop it and try again and I get no disc error. Why will it play once then not again.

2. iFix

iFix Member

Just a thought... you've taken care of CSS encryption & RCE Region right? If not, than the movies that work are prolly older and don't have those security features.

3. mudflap

mudflap Guest

yes I have taken care of that.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

What media are you useing?

5. mudflap

mudflap Guest

memorex dvd+rw 4.7 gb 4x

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

That is your problem more than likely. You never know what you are getting with memorex since they have several different companys make their media (some ok some bad). Try some good quality media. Taiyo Yuden is the best verbatim and maxell are good as well. Poor quality media is the most commmon cause of freezing and pixelateing. Stay away from memorex. Here is a good media guide. http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

7. mudflap

mudflap Guest

I took the discs to my sisters house and my moms house. All of the discs play on their dvd players. Traded dvd players with my mom. Why will dvd+rw work but dvd+r wont work?

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

They are probobly made by different manufactures. Eg: the dvd+rw is made by ricohjpn (which is usually good quality) and the dvd+r is made by cmc magnetics (which is usually poor quality). There is probably a compatability issue with your set top dvd player. You can look here. http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php Use either dvdinfopro or dvd identifier (search web both have freeware version) to check the media code of your discs. Then use the media guide to see where your media qualifies.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  9. CSimms

CSimms Guest

I'm still new at all of this DVD burning. However, I was having some compatibility problems at the beginning with some DVD+RW working on some players and not on others. After modifying the Book Type to DVD-ROM, this solved my problem of the DVD player not being able to recognize the disc (i.e. disc error). Now, all my 4X DVD+RW Ritek Ridata Ricoh JPN W11-01 work on all 4 of my standalone players. I haven't tried any DVD+R discs yet. If your burner has Book Type support and if the problem you are describing is similar to mine, you might want to consider this. Also, before my Toshiba player would sometimes read it and then not read it. All I did was eject, power off, and reloaded the disc and the player would read it again. So far, I haven't had a problem with this after modifying the book type.

10. mudflap

mudflap Guest

I don't know what your talking about Modify book type. Don't know how to do that.

11. CSimms

CSimms Guest

Again, I don't know if all DVD burners can do this, but if it can, I am using Nero 6.3.1.25 to change the Book Type. The good thing about DVD+RW (vs DVD+R) is that the book type can still be changed after burning the disc. Whereas, DVD+R must be changed prior to burning the disc (which I have yet to try myself). In Nero, you can access this option by going into the Disc Info which will reveal the current Book Type which would most likely be DVD+RW (since that is what you bought). Under the Disc Info menu, there should be a button that will allow you to change Book Type to DVD-ROM, if the burner supports this (or rather, if Nero supports the burner book typing function). I read somewhere that there was a brand of burners that will default to burning DVD+RW to Book Type: DVD-ROM. But, I can't recall the brand. Anyways, if your current disc is book typed DVD+RW, you may consider changing it to DVD-ROM. Worked for me. Also, FYI... if you need to reformat the DVD+RW for any reason, the Book Type gets reset back to DVD+RW. The idea behind book typing to DVD-ROM is to make the disc readable to standalone players like a store bought DVD (as opposed to DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+/-R, which some standalones still cannot read).