1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing PAL on NTSC

Discussion in 'PS2' started by devilray, Jun 23, 2007.

1. devilray

devilray Member

I recently purchased the PAL version of Cricket 07 from EA Sports (Do not make for NTSC) and I am looking at Swap Magic and Slide Card to play it as I do not want to get it modded. I am wondering if I get Swap Magic, do I have to get Slide Card or the Flip Top to play the game, and how difficult is it to install the Slide Card/Flip Top as I do not want to mess around with the inside of my PS2. If it is just taking the cover off/clipping something on I am fine but anything else, may be quite the challenge. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  2. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Swap Magic, not Swamp Magic. If you were trying to do a search using Swamp Magic as a keyword, that could be why you didn't get any results. Anyway, I'm assuming you've done a little research, hence, why you've asked whether or not you needed a custom flip-top specifically for the fat PS2 or the use of a slide card.

The major griefs I probably have using the slide card is forcing the drive tray to unlock and lock each and every time. If you don't do it properly, you might end up having to repair a broken cog or something if you messed up like you accidentally didn't lock the tray in and you confirmed the Swap Magic menu to go forward to boot the backup game you inserted into the tray unlocked... But if you have the utmost confidence, have short-term memory, easily forgetful, rarely don't make small, minuscule mistakes and so forth, don't worry about it.

You could opt for a custom flip-top, but you should look up through previous threads about custom flip-tops for the fat PS2 and see what issues people have had using them. The common problems I think people encountered when using the flip-top foremost is improperly installing it and a loosen flip-top after awhile. What I mean by loosen is that the flip-top is suppose to hold a particular switch or whatever within the fat PS2 so the PS2 can't detect the swap taking place. Gradually, the weight might loosen holding the switch so you may have to tinker around with getting that switch to being held again. Check here as someone, and some others too, have had this problem happen or trouble installing.

Also, as a warning, I suggest you be careful playing PAL PS2 games on your NTSC PS2 or vice versa. Sometimes you need to run the game through a PAL to NTSC converter or vice versa if you want the said game to display properly on your TV but converting the game is only an option if you decide to make a backup of it. In more common situations, people have had trouble displaying a PAL game on their NTSC PS2 or vice versa because their TV couldn't display the screen resolution properly so they either switched to another TV around the house or bought a new one. Of course, not all PAL games don't require much trouble or hassle in displaying on an NTSC PS2 and vice versa. Different results for different games.

If you want to avoid all this, you could consider getting a mod-chip installed (by a professional of course). The investment might be big, but it could very well pay off dividends in the long run, and plus, playing games is as simple as you playing any backup or import game as though you were playing any regular game you bought from your nearby store; however, if you can't get the game to work and if you do decide to play backup games, then problems you might be experiencing could then be based upon what DVD media brand you are using and so forth.

3. devilray

devilray Member

Yeah, I meant Swap... guess I can't type... also, I have a slim PS2 so I am wondering whether or not there is anything that works with the slim one.

As for getting my PS2 modded, I have no idea where to even start to look as I live in rural NW-Wisconsin. Does anyone have any suggestions as what kinds of stores I should look at?

4. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Regular member

the newer swap magics work with the slim lines but if you are going to run copied games thats a bit more annoying since SM needs help and patches on games to run them right.

5. devilray

devilray Member

It isn't copied, just PAL version. Neither of mentioned whether or not I will have to purchase a Slide Card or Flip Top for my slim. I also forgot to mention that I already have bought a video converter for TV, just in case. I have been looking at modchip.com as well as they sell a combo of slide card and swap magic, just wondering if anyone has ordered anything from them and can let me know of the quality.

6. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

You could try teammodders since you live in the U.S. From my understanding, that site has been around for quite some time with quite a reputation, reliable and reputable in services although they might be slow in responding sometimes.

If you are trying to get Swap Magic for any slim PS2, you need the use of the Magic Keys or try and do a simple tissue and tape/straw method instead of using the Magic Keys. You can check out here for a method on how to do a simple tissue and straw without opening your slim PS2 up if you are afraid to do so. You can check here on how to do a tissue and tape mod and also get an understanding through those pictures on what exactly you are doing by using the Magic Keys.

The slide card are generally for fat PS2s. And don't bother with a flip-top for the slim PS2. You already have a flip-top really. Why bother getting a flip-top to replace a flip-top?

7. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Regular member

I was goign to to say I cant find any spring tools of the slim top,I suppose you can just make a piece of plastic to hold the close button down during swap.

8. devilray

devilray Member

So, using the tape and tissue method, this means that my regular games will also work, and I will not have to use Swap Magic to play them, right?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  9. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Regular member

Ya in order for swapmagic to work you have to not let the system know you are switching the games,so while its taped down you load a SM then when it gets to the load screen you load your game you want to play (back up or pal) the press start or X and bam it should load it.

just be sure you have a SM 3.6 or 3.8