1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing PAL PS2 games on an NTSC PS2

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by nrk4594, Oct 31, 2004.

1. chachamia

chachamia Member

where can I get this swap magic disc in the U.S.? I'd be up for playing in black and white. A part of me is thinking I should just get a PAL PS2 since I already have a multi-system TV. Core2kid earlier gave me a link on HD Loader and exploiting your NTSC PS2, but a lot of it is going over my head. I don't even have a PS2 anymore so since I need one, I might as well get a PAL one. Unfortunately, no one is selling on ebay us or craigslist around my area. Maybe I could buy on ebay.co.uk and import to US?

2. DaTTeN

DaTTeN Member

Unfortunately I don't know where to get it in the U.S, since I live in sweden.. although I do know that there's three types of "Swap Magic" discs, you will be able to find the Japanese version, the NTSC (U.S.A) version, and the PAL (Europe/and other) version.. though I have no idea wich one Oscarin prefered to...

And btw, I would go with buying a PS2 in PAL version in that case, since you have a multi-system tv, and also since it seems to be much easier to patch NTSC games to PAL, and not the other way :)

3. chachamia

chachamia Member

Thanks for the feedback. I just tried to buy a UK PS2 off of Amazon.co.uk, but there seem to be geographical restrictions so that's out. I'm not sure how easy it will be to buy off of ebay, but I'm going to try.

4. DaTTeN

DaTTeN Member

Np! :) Hehe ok, yeah well.. wish you the best of luck! :D If you come to no other option than buying another NTSC console, then I'm sure if you just put your mind to it, you'll be able to solve the problem :) But it takes alot of thinking and searching sometimes ;D

5. marach

marach Guest

I've looked several hours for this, and I have not found anything yet. Hope that somebody here can give me a hint...

I want to play PAL singstar game on my PS2. I live in canada. My ps2 is modded, and can play PAL disks. So no trouble there. But since it's a singstar game, I can't do a PAL2NTSC or it will go out of sync. So, I've tried to put a PAL disk without patching it.

It actually work, and I have all the colors, so I guess that my TV (40 inches samsung LCD) can display 50hz. But the Y offset is very bad, and I don't see the lyrics at the bottom of the screen. Then I've try to patch the ISO file with PAL to NTSC patcher with Y-Fix. Now the Y offset is good, but the sound is out of sync. Is there any way to apply the Y-Fix, without apply the PAL to NTSC patch ?

6. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

You need to get a PAL to NTSC converter. You could also try to use a computer monitor or TV tuner as those are multireigon. I had the exact same problem as you and ended up using my computer monitor.

7. yamyfz

yamyfz Member

i have found a solution to play most pal games even singstar with the screen centered and in sync if you want more info i would like credit for discovering this

8. chachamia

chachamia Member

haha, believe it or not, I'm having an even harder time finding a new PAL PS2 that will ship to the U.S. from the Uk. most of the auctions on ebay.co.uk will ship to the UK only.

btw - anyone familiar with PAL PS2s? do the new slimline ones have component outputs for better picture?

9. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I will give you credit for finding the solution but if you are looking for credit as in money, better look elsewhere. This is a forum and nobody is gonna pay you for answers. Answers here are free.

10. DaTTeN

DaTTeN Member

Right on Core2Kid :) YOU should have credit for that comment ;D hahaha

chachamia; I'm not sure what you mean, really.. I'm pretty bad at understanding english :p but I think, if you mean the outputs to the tv, it's just a regular A/V output.. just as the "fat" ps2 has.. I don't know though if there's any adapters / converters for that either :S shiet, sony is pretty messed up these days, huh? =)

11. yamyfz

yamyfz Member

playing pal games on a ntsc system with screen centered and in sync

required items:
    hdtv
    component cables
    adr patcher
    ps2_pal2ntsc_yfix or ntsc2pal (for ntsc to pal)

i am going to assume you know how to play backups
    first you open adr patcher patch the image with pal to ntsc routine
    then again with ntsc to pal routine (this takes the ntsc patch location for pal2ntsc yfix)
    then patch with ps2_pal2ntsc_yfix (this centers the screen)
    burn to favorite media and enjoy
    note: this works with most games but not all
    note2:for ntsc to pal just reverse order of adr patching and use ntsc2pal yfix

12. yamyfz

yamyfz Member

i understand answers are free its just you cant find any info on this so i just want acknowledged for finding a way

13. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

You are acknowledged, especially by me if this method works for me. I've been looking for a long time for a solution for this.
    Do you think you could upload the versions of the programs you used on http://drop.io

Thanks again for finding a solution.

14. 67TML

67TML Member

Does anyone know what the y-offset would be for Final Fantasy X (PAL)?
    I tried 48 but it doesn't work since there are double screens in the game.

Thanks

15. yamyfz

yamyfz Member

im not familiar with final fantasy but some games have more than one elf in that case you have to extract the elfs patch them then make a new image with image burn
    here are links for the programs:
    http://sksapps.com/mis/ps2_pal2ntsc_yfix.rar
    http://sksapps.com/mis/adrpatcher059ap.zip

16. 67TML

67TML Member

Sorry to bother you guys again,

I used the ps2_pal2ntsc_yfix and the adrpatcher and the cut scenes work perfectly. Also, when I hit pause a clear screen can be seen. However, during gameplay I am able to see two screens with one slightly above the image in the game. Does anyone else have any idea on how I can fix this and get rid of that second image?

Thanks

17. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Thanks for that, I'll try it out once I get my PAL version of singstar back. Currently I only have a PAL to NTSC converted version on my HD. Can that be converted to what you said?

18. yamyfz

yamyfz Member

if you have the original unpatched pal elf or image try my method then after patching with yfix open adr and use undo pal to ntsc routine and undo ntsc to pal routine

core2kid: if you have the original pal image or elf is the only way

19. weltall00

weltall00 Member

Hello,

I have a modded PS2. I was really looking foward to playing PAL games, along with NTSC of course.

It was an absolute 100% shock to discover that my TV cannot display PAL signals !!

The TV I have is 'Samsung LN40A650'. I currently reside in a NTSC region.

In my TVs spec list, it says "Analog Video Input Signals NTSC4.43, PAL, NTSC 3.58, SECAM "

I thought that meant I could have PAL signals... I guess not ?!

However, those specs are not on the official website, or the booklet... they are on websites not affilated with Samsung. Are those 'specs' incorrect and false ?

Then, I found the offical spec list, and it says "TV system : NTSC standard color".

...with no mention of PAL !!

My TV can display a "tiny bit" of PAL signals, but not full. There is color and no "rolling images", but the screen is very off-center and stretched. (however, this "tiny bit" of PAL signal is from a "hack" from the modchip).

I tried to force a full PAL signal through my TV, (the modchip config menu), and it simply says "Mode Not Supported".

This happens with both PS1 and PS2 PAL format games.

So, I wanted answers... I mostly used common sense to figure out the truth of all this....

The people who always say "all TVs made in the past 10 years can play PAL and NTSC perfectly", etc...

...are all from PAL regions !!

Absolutely no people from NTSC regions say that.

PS2 FAQ of Australian consoles :
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/915821/32561

It simply says
    "If you plan to import an NTSC console you will need to make sure your television can display NTSC pictures. Most newer television sets sold in Australia (and other PAL regions) will display both colour systems."

The person who wrote that faq is from a PAL region.

PS2 60Hz FAQ :
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/915821/29981

It simply says
    "Your TV is old. Purchase a new TV to display NTSC signals".

Again, the person who wrote that faq is from a PAL region.

Also, here is another thing of proof, of many :
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/ntsc-pal-ps2-52474/

The people who replied are from PAL regions, with PAL tv's. And... that thread is from 2002... over 6 years ago !!

Here is another thread of proof :
    http://www.fileforums.com/showthread.php?p=364992

That person has an issue with playing NTSC on a PAL tv.
    But... the person says, "My new tv doesn't support NTSC."
    So, in an extremely special, rare case, 1 person in a PAL region has a TV that cannot display NTSC.

Also, some parts of the topic post are misleading. The title "Playing PAL PS2 games on an NTSC PS2" is a bit misleading. A better title would be "Playing PAL PS2 games on an NTSC TV".

A PS2 can output PAL and NTSC. The only thing that "matters", is the TV to display it on.

PS2 PAL can output NTSC.
    PS2 NTSC can output PAL.
    (however, this can only be done with modchip/swap magic, etc...)

If the TV can only display NTSC (which is extremely common in NTSC regions,), there will be no PAL support at all.

The only thing that "matters", is the TV to display it on.

Another thing that is misleading are websites/stores who sell "multi system tv's."

In absolute truth, they are actually PAL tv's, imported from PAL regions !!

And, in the 1st post, it says "Is there a fullproof way of playing PAL games on my NTSC console?"

That is a bit misleading... a better statement is instead "Is there a fullproof way of playing PAL games on my NTSC TV? "

The only answer is to purchase a PAL tv. (which are advertised as "multi system tv's" in NTSC regions ! They are imports from PAL regions !)

These "multi system tv's" in NTSC regions are very rare and not common at all. Because... people from "this region" do not care about other regions' games ! (except people in threads like this).

I guess I will only focus on NTSC PS1 and PS2 games, until I purchase a PAL tv in a PAL region that can also support NTSC signals !

Again - PAL tv's with NTSC are advertised as "multi system tv's" in NTSC regions ! They are imports from PAL regions !

To say it simply : PAL games are meant to be played with PAL tv's (which also have NTSC support) in PAL regions. If one plays a PAL game in an NTSC region... they will always run into problems, and need to take extra measures (patching). Or import a PAL tv...

So, in summary...... people who are interested in this thread are in NTSC regions with NTSC-only TV's.

People from PAL regions with PAL tv's enjoy both PAL and NTSC signals perfectly, without wasting time on the Internet and worrying about "patching".

Closed brains... cold hearts... non-changing, non-international, worthless NTSC regions...

Greetings,
    weltall

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  20. panchdara

panchdara Member

Fantastic! Just managed to get TT Superbikes on my NTSC TV... great thread. Thanks for the heads up on the conversion process.