1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playing problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bigjeep, Apr 27, 2007.

1. bigjeep

bigjeep Guest

I have tried burning a AVI movie file to dvd and it played once but would hang up. I then tried burning it again and my dvd player keeps telling me bad disc. I have burned it with two different burners Divxtodvd buner and Super DVD Creator. I have tried both PAL and the NTSC formats, but doesn't seem to matter. The file plays through just fine on my computer with out burning it. I'm using Staples DVD+R.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. bigjeep

bigjeep Guest

I meant to put Convertxtodvd burner not divxtodvd

3. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Use Verbatim DVDR- disc

4. bigjeep

bigjeep Guest

Will they record better, are they better disc quality?

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

How fast did you burn them?

Did you slap on any sticker labels?

That's the 1st thing to change. Staple's use a majority of MBI media,which is Moser Bauer-Made in India. Just look on the wrapper for the country they were made in.Get some verbatim. They are usually on sale for almost the same price as those staple's discs.

Also try this free program to find the exact MID code:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

Play one of those discs in your pc,using the dvd-rw drive that burned it,to play it. See how the playback.

What's the brand name,model #,and current firmware version of your dvd-rw drive?

Dvdidentifier will tell you all that info.

It could be a stand alone player compatability with that certain coded staples discs or the Plus format.

Some standalone players can pick out the differences of media,format of your media, even certain burn engines,transferring programs,burn speed,and even burner quality.

Make sure your pc,using the burner that produced the backups,can play the backups and the playback quality should look like that of the original. Also test in other stand alone players.

6. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

For movies yes they are the cheapest to buy but they are the best disc for stand alone players

7. bigjeep

bigjeep Guest

Got it figured out, just like rbrock said it was the discs. I switched them and have had no other problems playing them since.

Thanks guys

8. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Everyone knows not to touch discs like .. Staples !! lol

Taiyo Yuden are the best ;-)

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

How much were those staple's discs?

Avoid staple's dvd media like the plague. Most store brand name media in general is best to stay away-office max,compusa,etc.

There's 1 exception. Office Depot's brand name media is pretty decent. All the batches that I have used and heard from many other members are made by Ritek and Ricoh. Sales on Office Depot media usually runs 20 cents each(disc),last sale being 25 cents each.

Good quality media can prevent a lot of issues and allow you to up the burn speed.

Keep an eye on the Dvd +/- R media forum for the weekly sales by jasper.