1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playing ps2 on your pc screen?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by pinkyD, Sep 16, 2004.

1. pinkyD

pinkyD Member

HI ALL!
    Ive always wondered this, cuz it would be so cool if you could...Is there any type of cord/software to be able to hook and play your PS2 on your pc screen?

I know they have the little lcd's to hook up on your PS2, but I think it would be so cool if you was on the go and could hook it up to your laptop's screen and play.

I read somewhere before that you could...but I wasnt for sure if they was just blowing stuff off or not. If anyone knows can ya let me know! THANKS

2. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

3. pinkyD

pinkyD Member

awesome! So have u used this before? Is there any other things that you can use to do this?

4. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

ive used a tv tuner card on a desktop and thats pretty mush the same as this. that is about your only option since it would be hard to install a card in a laptop.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  5. pinkyD

pinkyD Member

awesome, I'll try it out. Does the picture show up good when u do it? Like I wouldnt want anything that makes the graphics suck, or if it is slow at picking up the picture. Basically would like it to play exactly as how you do on a tv screen. Thanks:)

6. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

well it probably depends alot on the speed of yoour computer. it worked fine for me with pentium 4, 2.6 ghz and 512 mb of ram. im sure it would do fine with slower speeds too. check out their website for system requirements.

7. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

I dont think that will work for a ps2 on a pc screen.

A vga adapter is what you wold normally need/use.

Get one off ebay for about £20/$36

8. pinkyD

pinkyD Member

thanks nelswick, Im sure that it would work fine on my laptop then since I have a 2.0ghz.

matty-have you used this vga thing before? I looked at them on ebay and they have alot of different ones...but I figured the one you was talking about is the one specifically for PS2. One I saw called "xploder vga adaptor". It says it works with vga monitors, but would this work with a laptop? Thanks for your guys help!

9. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

sorry, i read through your post again and you want it on your laptop right?
    That means that the vga adapter wont work as laptop isnt vga.
    I think nelswick is right.

Have you got a video card with tv-out because then all you would need to do is get an s-video to rca video/audio cable which would connect it straight to your ps2.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    -Xbox v1.0, X-ecuter2 lite, EVO-X DASHBOARD,
    -PS2 V4(gap), PS2 V5, duo2
    -BARTON 3200+, wInDoWs XP(sp1),
    asus A7V600-X,120GB HDD, 2x 256DDR pc2700,
    pioneer 106D[/small]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  10. pinkyD

pinkyD Member

ok cool, thanks

11. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

i've edited my last post, did you catch the bit about your video card having a tv-out port?

12. pinkyD

pinkyD Member

no I dont think that my laptop has that. B/C in the back there is a place for an S-Video hook up but it is covered over by a metal peice. So basically I guess that to have a S Video port I would have to install one. :(

13. Fuzzy_C

Fuzzy_C Regular member

i got one of them dazzle things, works o.k. for like making video game screens and videos, but i dunno if i'd ever use it for straight up gameplay, best to get a vga box

14. pinkyD

pinkyD Member

I cant get a VGA. That wont work either since I would be using my laptop. So are you saying that the dazzle doesnt work with gameplay??? Or are u saying you never tried it and just dont think it would work?
    Nelswick said that his works fine with gameplay.

15. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

i dont have a dazzle thing. i have a TV tuner card but it is pretty much the same thing and yes it does work for me.

16. pinkyD

pinkyD Member

cool, I will get it then. Also my last questions was to fuzzy since he was saying it prolly wouldnt work. Thanks for everyones help!

17. smelywely

smelywely Member

from what ic made out usb tv tuner cards for laptops dont actually allow you to use your playstation 2. Its due to the compression they use when sending the picture down the USB which results in LAG. Which is why if you compare the picture to that on a TV you'll see its a few seconds behind. It doesnt seem to matter whether its a USB 1 or 2 sound card as they all use compression - i dont understand why. This applies to all cards which use hardware compression (although i dont know anything about firewire tv cards - even if they exist or not). The only solution is a PCMCIA video card which delivers a RAW image to your laptop and is compressed by it, unfortunately I havent managed to find any except the not-yet-released AverMedia TV Cardbus TV Tuner (http://www.mediaatlantic.com/product.php/10947/0/) although this has not been confirmed by anyone due to lack of availability. I wouldnt suggest buying one unless you've got money to burn and in that case tell me how it goes cus i need something for uni. NOTE i have not actually seen or tried any of these solutions this is just information i have gathered from reading TV card forums.

18. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

the reason for the compressing is the available memory the pc has and the card has... the uncompressed images takes memory... its like playing a high res game on 64mb card... it runs out of mem thus making the game lag... ATI cards are known for the use of the special compression... but getting one of the new 9800/X800/X300 AIW cars is preetty much hard and not to mention lots of cash to spend on one...

vga box works very nice... good picture quality cheap device(30-50usd).... and works on every monitor CRT/LCD.. i have one myself playing PS2 on LCD is pretty neat ^_^

19. pinkyD

pinkyD Member

okay I dont understand why you came in here and said all those confusing details??? because I dont really care about the cards because Im not getting one! All I was wanting to know is something that would play my PS2 on my laptop and I got the answer.

Anyways...Cyprien did you say that the vga box WILL work on my laptop screen?? Because everyone else in this post told me it wouldnt. Just wondering why I keep getting people telling me it will and then it wont. Thanks

20. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

if the laptop supports VGA IN then you can use with a normal vga cord.... if not you can always try your monitor... wich is a much better solution... if you got lcd its even better... using laptop to play ps2 is quite usless since the laptop will heat up by the prosesing of the picture... this aint a mear tv.. the laptop has to decode the signal the ps2 is sending... you can always try tv cards but the best way is using a vga box on a PC monitor not a laptop...