1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing Ripped Games Can Kill my Ps2 Laser?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Noriko82, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Noriko82

Noriko82 Regular member

Is it true ? Playing ripped games can kill my ps2 Laser? my friend told me that. I don't know so i thought of posting it!!.....

2. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

It is harder on your laser to read games that are burned to a cd-r than a dvd-r. I don't think it would kill your laser over any short period of time (though probably faster than dvd-r backups.) My recomendation to you would be to burn dvd-r games to a dvd-r for the following reasons:
    1. You don't lose any quality from the game
    2. It's easier
    3. It's harder for your ps2 to read cd-r backups

3. Volcom915

Volcom915 Member

Yea, go with what Hanedrick was saying.

4. Noriko82

Noriko82 Regular member

Alright now i understand. but what if the game is originally on CD? which means something like PS2 Crash bandicoot?. i know i tried making my PS2 read CDRS it struggles for certain amount of time and the machine vibrates slightly than DVD-rs. DVDs read very smoothly on PS2. but even when i make my PS2 read a Pressed CD ( not CDR ). it still spins real faster. Can it harm the PS2?.

5. finty101

finty101 Regular member

It is better to play dvd media in your ps2 than cd, the laser can read dvd easier.

6. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

I would not go so far as to try and burn cd-r games to a dvd-r, though it is possible it's a pain in the ass to do and is a waste of dvd-r. The best thing to do is just burn dvd-r games to a dvd-r and cd-r games to a cd-r. It is harder on your laser to read cd-r backups than dvd-r but don't be afraid to play them. Just don't make a habit of playing them 20 hours a day :)