1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play's fine on computer but not on standalone

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by meottani, Mar 10, 2005.

1. meottani

meottani Member

I have a DVD that I burnt from an image file. The dvd plays perfect as an image file, the burnt dvd-r plays excellent in my computer, the problem is the burnt dvd-r won't play in my standalone player. I was thinking maybe its a region code or it is not recorded in NTSC? How would I find the dvd's region code and the recorded color system? Any other suggestions as to what it might be? Thankyou!

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Best you lookup your Player specifications -- Use the leaflet that came with it -- check WHAT it CAN play ? and what FORMAT it needs !

If you dont have that leaflet ~~ lookup the model number on the tag and do a Google search with that model number -- you will find a review that will give you the info you need.

Edited for typo !

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2005
  3. Gringle

Gringle Guest

I'd install a backgound program, like AnyDvd or maybe DVD43. And if that didn't work.. re-evaluate the problem.

gringle

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi meottani, welcome to aD,

First check your standalone's conpatibility -

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php

If that's fine, you need to give us some information about what you are doing -

LQQk, This is an example of the type of information we need, fill in as much as you can - it's all very important -

What are your PC's specs ?

Have you updated all your OS updates ? i.e. If you're running XP, do you have SP2 and all the updates for it loaded onboard ?

What type of media are you using ?

What is the name of the DVD you are trying to backup ?

What programs are you using ?
    To rip ?
    To edit ?
    To Burn ?

What Guide OR Guides are you using ?

Where did the files you're working with come from ?
    Are you ripping an original DVD ?
    Are you trying to copy a copy ?

Are these downloaded files ?
    What format are they in, RAR, Bin/Cue, AVI, VCD, SVCD, MPEG2, DVR, WMV, MPEG 2 DVD compatible, ISO or VOB's ?

Pete

5. meottani

meottani Member

The dvd and my computer are fine. I am not trying to copy a movie, its just a clip of a concert that someone put on into a dvd format. It has the menu's and everything, it just won't work on my standalone player. I figure maybe its recorded in PAL or has a different region code. Is there any program that will give me specific details about an individual dvd? What I want to knoe is how do I find out what region code and color format the dvd is in?

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Try this
    http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

Does your player play those same -R disk's whatever they are if you put a movie on them? In other words is this the only thing you have problem playing?

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

never mind anydvd for now, thats irrelevant in this instance. we need to establish if (on your pc) the disc is indeed in correct dvd format. but also go thru scubapete's list of stuff to check.

Rich

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you are trying to play the original disk you borrowed it may just be your DVD doesnt like that media either the brand of format +or-. Have you tried ripping it to your hard drive and then burning it onto a disk that you know your player will read?

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Well since you have checked that out and determined that the DVD is perfect, why not tell us what type of files are on the DVD. We might then recommend a proggy to determine whether it is PAL or NTSC.

(though I don't know what knoe is) - I'll wager that the person you got the disc from would knoe what color the DVD is in ~

I'm so sorry we all misunderstood you and provided you with so much worthless information ~

Our Bad -

Me sorry :(

@BB,

Remember, our friend doesn't wish to hear anything negative about his PC or the disc as he states there is nothing wrong with either. As he states, all he wants are some programs that might tell him what region and in what format his disc is written.

We can't win them all . . . .

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

OK Pete forgive me but I'm gonna help the poor guy out :)

@meoyyani,
    You can use AnyDVD to find out Your disk info along with a hundered other proggys but this is as simple as I can put it for you...
    [​IMG]

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Aaaawww, you cheated :(

Guess his problem is totally solved :)

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Why do I doubt that.... ;-)
    But it should be right??? I mean his computer/proggys and media are all pefect... Wish we aere all that lucky :) hey wait... Come to think of it mines all perfect too... How bout you Pete? LOL ;-)

13. meottani

meottani Member

Thank you bbmayo. Thats exactly what I wanted to know. Excellent demonstration too. I have never had a problem with my media, burner, player or computer as I back-up many DVD's, all working perfectly. If my DVD is indeed in NTSC instead of PAL, can I delete the menu's and just record the main movie as a VOB file. This way it would just play very simply from start to finish without any menu's, special features or chapters, eliminating in the format of the DVD? The format is,
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_0.VOB
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    Shouldn't there be a video_ts.vob in order for a dvd player to load the menu? Is there any way I can re-order this in order to get it to work? Also, I'm not a fool, I have my A+ Certification, unfortunatly DVD-RW drives wern't on the test. I also apologize for any misspellings as I type fast and rarley have time to re-read. I don't know, I think if I read my post for the first time, I would have been able to tell what every word meant. bbmayo, thank you for your help =)

14. meottani

meottani Member

This way it would just play very simply from start to finish without any menu's, special features or chapters, eliminating <bold>errors</bold> in the format of the DVD? Sorry, I left the word "errors" out in my post above. I figured I better clear things up before someone gets extremly confused and starts a contest over who can make me appear more un-mindful.

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

The best way to do that would be to run those files through DVD Shrink and only grab the main movie..

When you go into Shrink just click on re-author right away and then browse to the folder your movie is in and drag only the main movie from the right window to the left window.. :)