1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plays in DVD player but not computer

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by KJ100, Jan 1, 2005.

1. KJ100

KJ100 Member

I just ripped a movie by using DVD decryptor 1st and then used DVD shrink to strip bits out to reduce the size and burn it. The copy plays on home DVD player with a small problem that it skips a bit of the intro and then you need to press play to kick it back into action but fine apart from that. The problem mainly is that the copy will not play when put back into computer (useing Power DVD and Win DVD) - it basically causes both programs to hang. My original file on the Hard Disk ripped by DVD decryptor plays perfectly with the above progs so I suspect I have gone wrong with some of the options on DVD Shrink - Has anyone got any ideas to point me in the right direction of my error before I waste further DVD's !!!

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What brand of media and how fast are you burning it?.

Your win dvd and power dvd are playing the files ok but not that backup disc.

Stand alone plays it but skips.

Do you only have 1 dvd drive or 2,one dvd rom and the other dvdrom rw.?

It sounds like a media issue. Your pc "the drive that burned it" should be able to play it's own backups if you only have 1 dvd burner drive.You may be burning too fast or the media is junk.

Get some rw's and see if they will burn and play ok on your pc. Rw's are a little trickier on stand alone players to play them. We need to know if your pc can play it's own backups.

Symptoms of poor media: freezing,pixelling,skipping,jumping,no disc inserted errors and many more problems.

Poor media has to be burned slower,just to get them to play ok in stand alones,let alone even trying to get them to play them at all.

Try a media change,some rw's, and slow that burn speed down. The rw's will save on coasters and have limited burn speed and is a change. All 3 things i just listed in 1 change. Good luck

3. KJ100

KJ100 Member

Thanks Saugmon - I will give a different media a try - and try out the RW's as you suggest. I had previously read the various posts on the subject and I suspected it was the media or the burn speed especially as you say the drive that burned the DVD should be able to play it. I tried the disc in both the drive of the dvd rw drive that burned it AND on the dvd rom drive of the same new computer AND on my older computer which just has a dvd rom AND on my new laptop which has a combo cdrw/dvd ! and it does the same thing with all of them with the only partly successfull result being on the home DVD player. (ps. I think the burn speed was 2x if the info being shown by DVD shrink / Nero was correct - I will go into the Nero software and double check the settings). Thanks again, hopefully I won't be creating many more coasters, although I have seen some quite ornate mobiles made from discs - I could always have a go at one of those !