1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plays in PC but not on dvd player..why?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by benfica1, Nov 18, 2004.

1. benfica1

benfica1 Member

Hi all - again. I am still having problems- I can now burn the avi-converted mpg to a disc, but it will only play in my pc and not in my dvd recorder-what am I doing wrong? I have recoded the film with main concept mpeg encoder but I am still having no luck. This is my first go at all this by the way.
    Thanks guys

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Have you checked that your player is compatible with the type blank media you are using as in the + & - formats. Some players only handle one or the other.

Jerry

3. benfica1

benfica1 Member

Hi Jerry I got this info about my dvd player, I am using +rw or +r discs to copy with so does this meanthey are not usable in mine?
    DVD Player Features
    -Code Free DVD Player
    -Plays all RCE & REA DVD Discs
    -No built in pal/ntsc converter
    -Play Pal DVDs on Pal tv or multi-system tv
    -Play NTSC DVDs on NTSC tv or Multi-system tv

VCR Features

-Plays both NTSC & Pal VHS cassettes (multi system VCR)
    -Does not convert Pal/NTSC
    -Play NTSC cassettes on NTSC TV or multi-system TV
    -Play Pal cassettes on Pal TV or multi-system TV
    DVD/VCR Combination System
    Space Saving Combination System with DVD/Video CD Playback, VCR Recording and CD-R/RW Playback
    VCR Recording and Simultaneous DVD Playback
    CD-R/RW Playback Function
    Space Saving Design (DVD player and VCR installed in one compact unit)
    Worldwide Automatic Dual Voltage
    CD/CD-R/VCD/CD/DVD/VHS/s-VHS Compatible
    Plays PAL Disc on PAL TV, NTSC Disc on NTSC TV or any Region PAL/NTSC Disc on Multisystem TV
    All region dvd playback including RCE discs
    DVD-Related Features:
    All Region DVD Playback
    PAL/NTSC Dual System
    Digital Gamma Correction
    Digital Super Picture
    Dolby® Digital/MPEG Audio 2 CH Down Mix
    DTS/Dolby® Digital/MPEG Audio Bit Stream Outputs
    Virtual Dolby® Surround (3 Stage QSurroundTM Sound)
    24 Bit/96 kHz Linear PCM Capability
    10 Bit D/A Converter
    VCR-Related Features:
    6-Head Hi-Fi NICAM/IGR Stereo Sound
    Sharp Super Picture for Clearer, More Detailed Images
    12 Hours Recording/Playback in PAL EP Mode with E-240 Tape
    G-Code Timer Programming
    S-VHS Simple Playback Function
    High-Speed Video Search (VSF/VSR)
    PAL/NTSC Tuner Built-In
    NTSC Simple Playback on PAL TV
    Thanks for any help you may give.

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

What make is your dvd player & how old is it? Older dvd players had compatibility issues with + media.

5. benfica1

benfica1 Member

Hi it is a sharp video/dvd player dv-nc60.
    Thanks

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Have you tried your discs on anybody elses dvd players? I have a sneaking suspicion you are going to have compatibility issues with you player. I can only suggest trying different media.
    Welcome to dvd burning, can be both frustrating & rewarding! You have to use good media, branded ritek, verbatim seem to give good results. You will find that you have to experiment all the way. What is good for you may not be good for others & vice-versa.
    Let us know how you get on. I think you will find jumping in with both feet is the best way. Hope this helps. I will say one thing though, perservere & you will not regret it!
    Kind regards,
    Pulsar
    PS, here is a link you may find interesting.
    http://super1000.com/?k=sharp dvs1

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I've read your player specs a few times. I don't see any mention that it plays recorded dvd's any where of either format. I'll do some more checking on your model.

After checking several sites including Sharp, I have come to believe that your player will only play original dvds and burned cd material including video cds. But no where does it list burned dvds of either format. I think you are out of luck.

Jerry

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  8. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

You've also authored them into DVD-Video files (VIDEO_TS folder, IFO-BUP-VOB files) right? If not that's likely your problem. Most DVD players or recorders will look for that structure when they recognize the media is DVD and won't recognize any other files.

9. benfica1

benfica1 Member

Hi guys-thanks for the great advice-after a lot of messing about- I finally managed to copy the avi file to dvdr-I used main concept mpeg encoder-clicked on output format - dvd-then I burnt it with nero-which took about 4 hours(why so long?)the said file will now play in my dvd player but not in a playstation 2 why?
    Any ideas??
    Thankyou

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hi benfica 1, The sony playstation 2 is picky when it comes playing backups. A buddy of mine at work can use only certain media "tdk-r" is his favorite. On his x-box, it will play anything he burns. On my step-son's ps2, I loaned him a backup on verbatim datalife +r at 4x speed. He couldn't play that disc. I gave him a copy using verbatim 8x and it played fine. Its pretty weird burning dvd's when your computer can read them, but a lot of stand alone players and recorders cannot. On my apex stand alone, it can't play anything off of my pc burner, after i shrink and rip off copyright on the pc, then i can reburn them on my standalone burner and they play perfect on them, except i lose quite a bit of quality. I only use shrink and nero, but i was told to try dvd decryptor to rip, but haven't had the chance yet. I know all burners are different when trying to play dvd r's and rw's. You might want to do what i do and expirament with different burn rates, Quality branded media, and software. Good luck and have a good day!

11. benfica1

benfica1 Member

Thanks saugmon, I have burnt this time on an +r disc and it will play back this time on the Playstation 2 so it looks like it might not accept rw discs. Like you say its hit and miss.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Enjoy your day too!

12. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

...early ps2 consoles do not like RW media !!

P.S. After encoding w/ MainConcept MPEG Encoder run MPEG2 file(s) thru TMPGEnc DVD Author to convert to VOB (in VIDEO_TS folder) ... then burn w/ Nero [DVD-Video] and should play in all stand alone DVD players (incl. PS2 & X-Box).

Of course , using -R/+R media :)

13. benfica1

benfica1 Member

Thankyou for that herbsman. I will take note
    Have a good day