1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plays on PC but not DVD player

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by mossfan18, Apr 18, 2007.

1. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

Most movies will finish in uTorrent and then I can convert the file with VSO DIVX2DVD and then burn the Video-ts files with Nero. I use uTorrent to download my movies which places them in a folder. Often the files are automatically in Video-ts format which I then use Nero to burn them to DVD-R for my standalone DVD player. This without having to even use VSO DIVX2DVD to convert them.

However, this method sometimes fails to work. It's only some movies that will only play on the computer.

For instance, I downloaded We Are Marshall with uTorrent and it finished successfully. However, instead of putting the movie in my folder in the Video-ts format like it often does, it put it in AVI Video format with the RealPlayer logo on it. It came with a codec which I installed and it plays on my computer. However it won't play on my home DVD player no matter what software I use.

Here's what I've tried:

Used Nero Vision 4 to burn and it finished successfully and plays on my PC but not in my home DVD player.

When I use VSO DIVX2DV I get this message:
    Inpossible conversion: This file contains an A/V stream we are unable to decode.

What am I doing wrong? Why do all finished uTorrent files not automatically go to Video-ts format?

2. attar

attar Senior member

Down load GSpot
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/GSpot270a.zip

Drag the file on to it and try to find out the type of file and the codecs it requires.
    Click on button 1 and GSpot will try to render the file with the codecs installed on your PC.
    If it can render it, you can press button 2 and it will play it.
    Once you know the video and audio codecs required, you can convert it to a format that your player will accept.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  3. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

I download G-Spot and heres what I got :

Codec : VP70 Name: On2 VP7

Container :
    File Length Correct
    AVI v1.0

User Data : [ISFT] PQDVD-3
    Movie played in box and underneath said:
    Codec: 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3

Where do I from here? I ran it through WinAVI Viodeo and I'm going to try and download it to a DVD-R now. Is this what I should do?

4. attar

attar Senior member

5. ilcmdme

ilcmdme Regular member

Guys, when you convert with divx2dvd, how is the quality? is it dvd quality or just divx quality on dvd.
    If i want to convert anything to dvd quality what program should i use? - I'm talking the best quality video here.

6. attar

attar Senior member

The quality won't improve - but if it's a decent quality file then you should get a decent quality DVD.
    I'm inclined to using 'DVD Flick' for the conversion (and optional burning).