1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 2 free advise and repair Guides

Discussion in 'PS2' started by john179, May 6, 2004.

1. john179

john179 Active member

At present i have been haveing a nightmare with ps2's.My kids have had 2 up to now and they both have broken down and i'm now telling them i will not purchase another as i'm not made of money.My question is does anyone know of any good web sites where i can get free advise on how to repair them.I know it would be cheaper to swap my kids but they have also got an xbox which has never broke down so i think it is sony have produced a bag of rubbish.Both Playstations have been modified so i can not send back and both worked perfect for a while.Now one has no power and i think the other i may need the power ribbon repaired.I would be greatful for any help
    Much Appreciated
    John179

2. account

account Guest

i know how to repair them

well most problems

i need a little bit more info on the ps2:
    what version
    and describe the problems in detail

you can also got to http://www.richspsxparts.com
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]check out my site http://jgames.50megs.com

ps2 v7 with magic 3.1 (broken)
    ps2 v5/6 with v7 mainboard with dms3
    xbox unmodded right now
    gamecube upstreaming until chip comes out[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2004
  3. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

see my sig...

If the fault was not caused by the install then the most common issues are
    1) wear and tear on the laser
    2) Dust or dirt on the laser
    3) power surges
    4) Mechanical damage (dropped)
    5) overheating due to bad placement or excessive use
    6) spillage

Apart from the 3rd one all of these can usually be fixed with no parts required - just time and the know how.

How ever if the installs were bad then you may need to check to make sure no wires have come loose - or been crushed when the stations were re-assembled - always send back to the guy who modded the station first - it is his responsibility to determine if he is at fault and fix the problem before you attempt to fix it yourself.

If he is not at fault then again see my sig...

4. john179

john179 Active member

The 2 main problems are as follows both of the ps2's have no power and the second one has disc read errors as well which i have adjusted the little white wheel behind the laser.This worked at first but then when back to disc read errors and then the power went down on this.I think they are v8 and v9 ps2's if this is whe right way of telling what is what as i'm not 100% sure if this is how you identify them.I have managed to get hold of a ps2 repair guide but it mainly goes on about disc read errors.It does mention poewr loss but not in great depth and i feel if i can get the power back on i should be able to resolve the other issue through this guide.Obviously i will be grateful of any help and advise you may be able to give
    Cheers John179

5. john179

john179 Active member

Sorry i believe i said v8 and v9 but meant v7 and v8.
    Anyone have any clues yet as it is driveing me up the wall
    Cheers

6. Bonafide

Bonafide Member

Hello
    I opened up my PS2 and some sort of plastic metal connected to both power and open buttons was removed.. It is not broken. It is still connected to the 2 buttons but on the other end I don't really know where that goes. I believe it goes somewhere inside the system but I don't know where. If anyone knows please tell me. I would be greatful

Last edited: May 14, 2004
  7. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

I think you are refering to the reset and eject button silver ribbon cable - this connects on one side to the reset button and on the other to the PS2 main board into a little connector that sits between a smaller one and a larger one that robbon cables from the CD drive connect to.

8. Bonafide

Bonafide Member

Do u have any pictures I could look at to help me

9. ukbsktbll

ukbsktbll Member

Yeh my silver ribbon has come loose as well. That is the problem with the power most likely. Can I get any pictures or advice on how to reconnect it??

10. LiquidR

LiquidR Member

Version 8 Playstation 2s are Japan-only...are you sure one of thems a Version 8?

11. john179

john179 Active member

To be honest i may have been told the wrong version's off my wife.I will pull my pc apart but not the ps2's this way she takes the blame.My wife has now begun to give up on them and iam telling the kids to stick with the xbox.Somewhere along the line my pocket may become lighter once again for a 3rd ps2.I know they are both different version's and the last 2 as none of them are over 2 years old.To be honest i wish i would have never set eyes on them but i'am pretty desperate for advise to save myself another bundle of cash.

12. Cloner

Cloner Regular member

Hi there, if you cant get them fixed would you consider selling them?, i could fix them.

13. SPIKE2004

SPIKE2004 Member

Hi To john179,
    Probably a bit late but what is scph number on back of PS2's, also, are you in uk.

------------------------------------------------------
    PS2 V7 39003 PAL VERSION
    About the 25th PS2 thats past through my door

I have spare parts for 30003 model, including power board.

14. bmw4000

bmw4000 Member

Maybe you have advice for my problem. The gear doesnt move when it is time for the cd tray to go in, but it is fine for it to go out. This causes the games to not be seen by the laser when i push the tray in manually. is there anyway for me to fix this myself or is the a problem a place like best buy or something can fix?

15. john179

john179 Active member

I have checked to see which versions i have and according to the box i have a scph-30003r and a
    scph-39003 pal of which i'am not sure which is the better version.I know i defentley need a ribbon for each one which is connected to the power button and probably the main power board for the scph-30003r.The 30003r is the one i would most like to get working as this has a messiah chip in it where the other has a cheap neo chip.I don't want to sell either to be honest as i have only had about 9 month's use out of both and paid around about £500:00 for both in total.I know you can now buy for £99 in the uk but then you have got the cost of fitting of my old chip or a new one on top.Can anyone please advise the best course of action.Please no funny comments like purchase a new one as iam looking for the cheapest way to resolve.
    Thanks
    John 179

16. SPIKE2004

SPIKE2004 Member

john179,
    the 30003R model is either V4 or V5, and the 39003 model is V7(better one, as newer).
    Spare parts I have include a power board for V4-V8
    and also 1 ribbon cable for the reset/power switch.
    are you on ebay at all, or have paypal.
    I could do £25 for the 2 bits.
    or where in uk are you?

Ian.

17. john179

john179 Active member

Thanks fo everyone's help this has been much appreciated.I have decided to take these for repair at a local computer market as i'm not 100% sure of the in and out's of these machines.

18. SPIKE2004

SPIKE2004 Member

hi, playstation do an exchange scheme for £65 you give them the faulty console plus old leads and pad and they give you the same back but fully refurbished, and this is all done on your doorstep.

Just remember to remove any modchips first.
    and i remove the laser if it work....

UK ring 08705998877 and ask for a playstation exchange not a repair as this is £85 and takes 3 weeks

19. KingRock

KingRock Member

My PS2 cant read CD's properly,when i put a CD or DVD ar game,it says error cant read Disc.So wath can I do to fix taht problem,do i have to open the hole thing and,clean it from the inside?

20. SPIKE2004

SPIKE2004 Member

hi may sound stupid but have you tryed a cd/dvd lens cleaner, if not get one that says for use with dvd games systems, stick the cleaning cd in follow process and you might be surprised, as i've done this on a few ps2's and brought them back to life.
    if it doesnt work then opening up the ps2 is your next thing to try.

Ian.