1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 2 mod chip

Discussion in 'PS2' started by coaa, Jun 16, 2004.

1. coaa

coaa Member

I was reading about different mod chips and was unclear on one thing. Will it play both PAL and NTSC DVD's as well as PS2 games in my NTSC based system? I was going to buy a new dvd player that played both formats but if this mod chip will do that then I will go that route instead. Just wanna be 100 percent sure it will play movies as well as games in both formats. Don't really play many games. Thx

2. WEStar

WEStar Active member

mod chips do defeat the region check for games however, a PAL signal would not display properly on an NTSC tv (whether it be game or movie). There are however ways to get PAL games to play properly on an NTSC system and this is achieved by patching the games to NTSC. I don't know if patches to convert PAL movies to NTSC exist.

3. coaa

coaa Member

Thanks for the help but but I thought there were dvd players that played both. Doesn't an Apex DVD player play both formats? I was just wondering if the mod chip provided this functionality and I believe you are right in saying it doesn't.

Converting PAL to NTSC is definetly possible but I don't even wanna worry about it. I think what I'm lookin for here since I don't play games very often is a DVD player that plays both PAL and NTSC formats.

4. bigboneli

bigboneli Guest

Yes, Apex standalone DVD players can have the firmware flashed to be region free, and they (the 1500 at least), have a pal/ntsc selector button right on the remote. But that's a different forum altogether.
    Good luck finding an Apex 1500 tho, seems they found out and went to the 1200 which is almost identical, but (to best of my knowledge) has no region free firmware...yet. But do a search here on afterdawn, there's gotta be a proper forum for your questions.