1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by shiryo, Mar 17, 2004.

1. shiryo

shiryo Member

hi guys
    i'm buyin a 2nd hand ps2 but i dunno wat kind of questions shld i ask the buyer. can u all tell me wat kind of things shld i look out 4 in a mod version?

2. benagain

benagain Regular member

I'd really want to know what version it is and how old it is. An old console that's got a worn out laser it just no good.

3. martynste

martynste Regular member

Try to find a ps2 with no modchip. The lasers tend to wear out alot quicker on the modded ps2. I would also go for a newer version v8 or above. Obviously, the newer the better cause your less likely to be speading money on it. The later ps2 also read +/- media.

Hope this helps.
    Mart

4. shiryo

shiryo Member

[bold]benagain[/bold]:
    can the version be verified on the ps2 itself or anywhere, cos the buyer can tell me anythin he wants

[bold]martynste[/bold]:
    but if i get one w/o mod chip, i'll be modifying it too. and the same qn i hav as above, can i verify the version?

thanks alot guys! u hav been very helpful!

5. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

ask for the number on the back.. It should start with something like this .. SCPH - 3001 R or something to that effect.. Then you can look that up and see what version it is..Here is a site to help you determine the model number when you find out what is is. Hope this helps. http://www.whitedog.co.uk/ps2-version.shtml

Matt

Last edited: Mar 17, 2004
  6. shiryo

shiryo Member

[bold]Motomatt[/bold]:
    thanks 4 the info! very useful indeed. especially the url. one last qn though. wat versions and below shld i avoid?

7. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

I would definatly get a newer one if possible. The older version PS2's apparently had some problems with certain types of media and not to mention being buggy when paired with a mod chip. If it were me I would try to get the newest model I could. a few reasons why I would get a newer OR brand new one. they are pretty cheap now. Hope this helps

New, more reliable DVD/CD drive
    Much quieter fan (big deal when watching movies on the PS2)
    Built-in infra-red remote control interface
    Progressive scan support
    Updated DVD drivers and in-ROM software

Last edited: Mar 18, 2004
  8. shiryo

shiryo Member

thanks alot everyone! u all hav been very helpful. i think all the info has been very very useful. i also wanna get one new one but no money. haizzz. anws, THANKS!!!