1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation asking for a format disk? Please HELP!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by dsgirl, Mar 11, 2003.

1. dsgirl

dsgirl Member

Sorry, I am only a girl trying to help her husband here. His playstation is asking for a format disk. It will not play games or DVD's and once this morning we got it to load a game but it was very slow. Now when we restart the machine it is again asking for the PS2 format disk.

We went to an electronics store and they told us our PS2 is shot and we could pay $120 to send it in to Sony to be fixed.

I have surfed a little and see something about burning said "format disk" is there anyone out there that can explain this to me and tell me how I get a copy? Either purchased or whatever?

2. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

what happened to the machine before it started acting up?
    what it's asking for is a ps1 or ps2 game? If u have not pulled it apart (this would void the warranty) u should be able to carry it to a local parts and service store or call sony to get info.

3. dsgirl

dsgirl Member

It was when he tried playing Nascar 2003. He only plays that game and Madden 2003 other than that we mainly play movies, We haven't done anything to the console at all. Neither of us knows anything about it (I was thoroughly confused when I came to this sight and all the techno PS2 stuff)

The machine sits on a shelf on our enterainment center. It hasn't fallen or received any type of shock.

We did take it to an electronics store like I said, they said $120 to send to Sony, plus repair charges... at that point we might as well just buy a new machine.

4. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

no, call sony first hear what they say u should do then u decide if u should get a new one.

5. compy168

compy168 Member

Sounds like a reading problem. It could be the disc is dirty or scratch. It could be the laser len is dirty. Here's what I suggest to do:

1. Make sure the PS2 game is clean and not scratch.

2. Try buying one of those len clean disc from any electronic stores.

What happens when you put a dvd movie in there?

6. dsgirl

dsgirl Member

Thanks, a friend said the same thing about cleaning it and my husband is going after work to get a laser disk cleaner and we are going to try that.

7. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

Funny that the electronic store you carried it to did not think of that.