1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation w/ HDD and Mod Chip questions

Discussion in 'PS2' started by lowlyfe, Dec 7, 2004.

1. lowlyfe

lowlyfe Member

I have a few questions about mods and similar things.

[bold]Question #1[/bold]
    I have a few games on my computer right now and several of them are PAL. If I transfer them to my PS2's HDD does that it matter that the games are PAL format or do I have to convert them to NTSC before I transfer them? I was thinking that since the laser isn't reading the disk, the hard drive is, it wouldn't matter, but I have been know to be wrong.

[bold]Question #2[/bold]
    I have a v4 PS 2 and I read here that there is a great possibility that it will either die durring the install of a mod chip or shortly afterwards. If this is true, how bad does it "die". I think I read that it was the laser that malfunctions. Would it still be possible to load games from the HD if it fails or would I be completely screwed?

[bold]Question #3[/bold]
    If I buy the HDAdvance, do I even need to risk frying my v4 PS2 by installing the mod chip, therefore wasting the money that I just spent on a mod chip? If I don't need the mod chip can I still copy my games from my PC to my PS2 and run them without any problems?

[bold]Question #4[/bold]
    I also read that some people have successfully installed a HDD greater than 137GB. How do you get a PS2 to recognize a larger HDD?

Thanks in advance.
    I did look through a large portion of the forum and even did a search for something about this but I couldn't find anything, I'm sorry if I've overlooked it somehow.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  2. lowlyfe

lowlyfe Member

.....anybody out there?

3. lowlyfe

lowlyfe Member

Maybe I'm getting impatient, but being back on the third page, I'm wondernig what the probability of this post even being seen is. Can anyone provide me with an answer or point me in the direction where i can find the info im looking for. I've tried searching the forums and on google but I can't find anything.

4. ozzy1

ozzy1 Regular member

Question 1: No it doesnt matter as long as your tv can recieve pal signals
    Question 2: Dont install a mod chip
    Question 3: If you buy hd advance you do not need a mod chip.
    Question 4: If you by hd advance 2.0 hardrives upto 200Gb can be used.

5. dsjason

dsjason Member

if i install a hard drive and ps2 recognizes it can i just insert hd advance into the ps2 and it will automaticlly copy it to hd and play from there w.o ever needing the original copy of the game. i know i will have to insert hd advance every time i want to play a game off of my hd but just curious if i needed to do any work with the pc first. thanks. site is great.

6. ozzy1

ozzy1 Regular member

Hd advance will save the game onto the hardrive and you then use the hd advance disc to play it.
    However some games must be transfered using hdhandines or winhiip to the hardrive using your computer.

7. lowlyfe

lowlyfe Member

Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it. Now I just have to find a buyer for my chip and buy a copy of HDAdvance 2.0.

8. kgray

kgray Member

yeah using the hd is a good idea