1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstations dvd-drive doesn't work at all

Discussion in 'PS2' started by tisco, Oct 31, 2004.

1. tisco

tisco Member

Hi!

I have a problem with my dvd-drive. When I boot my playstation it goes straight to the boot menu even if I had a cd/dvd inserted. At the boot menu there's two options "browser" and "system configuration".

I checked the position of the disc when I inserted it and it came out in different angle. So the discs does spin.

So my playstation 2 works as if there's no disc inserted. I've tested it with original dvd-game and with some music cds. Could anyone please give me some pointers?

I've checked the fuses on main board and their OK. There has been I chip installed but it's removed now because it didn't work. Cables from main board to the dvd-drive are connected properly and are functional.

I don't know if someone has already posted a similiar error, but there's over 500 posts, and I don't got the whole day to search them through. Search function didn't help...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  2. Ten18

Ten18 Member

i think the chip has trashed your playstation.
    can you hear the disk spinning?

3. tisco

tisco Member

I'm not sure if the disc is spinning because of the noise of the cooler fan in the playstation. I noticed that when I take the disc out it's in different angle than when I put it in. So it has spinned at least half round =).

4. Ten18

Ten18 Member

The fan isnt that loud. you can easily tell if the disk is spinning. Sounds like your drive is ok but your laser is having trouble reading the discs since it only spins half round. you might need a new laser.

5. GTASABROK

GTASABROK Guest

GET A LASER CLEANING CD I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM I POPPED THAT BAD BOY IN AND IT WORKED.

6. Ten18

Ten18 Member

Laser cleaning cd? thats gona hurt the lens real bad, the brushes on the cd wont clean it..only damage it further.
    He needs to adjust the laser angle, if that doesnt work hes gona need a new laser.

7. tisco

tisco Member

The disc doesn't spin! It only turns about a quater round when I put it in and that's it. So the problem seems to be there...