1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ple help me w/ my magic 3.1 ps2 v.7

Discussion in 'PS2' started by BENCH`, Jan 22, 2003.

1. BENCH`

BENCH` Member

i have soldered a magic 3.1 to my ps2 v.7
    and took me a day to finish it....now the
    problem is my originals work but the copy
    doesnt work both on (Ps2 and Ps1)...all i get
    is a message saying Please insert a PS2 or
    Ps1 format disc.....how do u check if the
    installation of the modchip is any good?
    any suggestions guys? thanx!!!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2003
  2. r34v

r34v Guest

eh, I have the same problem and I've tried holding reset for 4 secs but that only restore it to factory condition. So it doesn't play back ups!! I still can't play ps1 Japanese backups...

but I can play ps2 US and Japanese originals

help? please ^_^

3. jr_

jr_ Guest

Mod chip is bad or more likely you didn't get something hooked up correctly. Sounds like your PS2 is ok so just tear it down and double check everything. If you can't find anything wrong get someone else to look over the install and see it they spot something.

4. TBX

TBX Member

Yea I have the same problem 3.1 & V7. I am gonna pull the L board and Clip and toss'em. And then direct wire everything. Did you get yours from modchip.ca by chance. Maybe they had a bad batch as many seem to have problems recently. Their support staff have been no help what so ever. Online help page is also worthless.imo. No call backs or email responses in 4 days. Return is too much BS and they dont have test scheme for it. Probably will just get the 38 buck chip from dim next time. BTW Ive worked with smd devices for many years and know its not a install prob.

5. BENCH`

BENCH` Member

my modchip works!!! hehehe!!!
    but theres one more problem some DVD copy
    doesnt work... does Ps2 console choose a specific
    dvd-r media? cause the one i ordered 3 dvd' games work
    but 2 of them doesnt read and also the CD-R cant read it either (contra shattered)

i also tried to use my old copy games from my playstation 1 and none of them work....did i missed
    a point to solder or ....

guys dont quit! tried to work on my ps2 all day and thought on giving up and go for a professional help
    but hey on the third time i opened it and check guess
    what it pays off...1 tip dont put it all back to test it!

tnx!!!

6. r34v

r34v Guest

TBX, let me konw your results when you are done! Thanks

7. jimyfixit

jimyfixit Guest

ihad the same problem, i had to get rid of the l-board and hard wire noe it works great :))))

8. r34v

r34v Guest

jimyfixit- so you hard wire the back side part and now it plays everygame??

9. JDecal

JDecal Guest

Before you dou any more mods, try this. I had the same problem...
    Power up PS2
    Open disk tray
    Power off PS2
    Insert PS2 or PSX backup
    Power up PS2
    Hold disk eject button (blue LED) until tray closes and blue LED ceases flashing.
    Should work....let me know

10. TBX

TBX Member

Well I said to hell with it and opened it back up today. I went over it with a meter one more time and found a open on the Magic 3.1 board at the RST point. Jumpered over it and it still didnt work. (real F'n Nice work china) took it back apart to yank the L board and 'Clip" crap out and direct wire. Now it works, a little buggy but does play most games. I Suspect the chip is still a bit off, the same boot procedure doesnt work each time. You have to mess with it a bit and then it'll boot. ps2CD based games boot 95% of the time, DVD based games may require 1-8 boots to run. Originals cd/dvd work fine. Anyone have any thoughts on the "buggyness" ?? Whats a source for a cheap'o clone for comparison, might stick that in and see if its more stable.