1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pleae Help!!! Extracting Reg. 2 DVD on Mac????

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by erikaf, Feb 26, 2005.

1. erikaf

erikaf Member

I am on a Powerbook (Mac) set up for region 1.

I got a region 2 DVD (England) and I want to convert it to NTSC and pull clips from it.

When I put it in the Mac a window pops up asking me if I want to reformat the DVD drive for Region 2 and that I can do this 5 times (switch back and forth between regions). It will not let you exit this message without ejecting the DVD.

I tried running BBdemux and DVD Extractor and VLC (this program that is supposed to let you play any DVD on your Mac) and I got error messages reading the DVD on all three.

Any ideas how I can open this? If I re-format the drive for region 2, you think I can then extract using BBdemux and then just set the drive back to region 1???

Any input from Tech Gods is mucho appreciado!!

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

I'm guessing you probably have the superdrive. In any case, check 'About This Mac' from the Apple menu and click on more info. This will give you the specific drive model. After you've got that head over to The Firmware Page for firmware : -
    http://forum.rpc1.org/

Once you have the exact info on your drive -- its only a matter of getting the appropriate firmware to make it Region Free !

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2005
  3. erikaf

erikaf Member

Thanks for responding. I found out the drive I have:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-816

I am not clear where to go at the link to get the right flasher to make it work for all regions? That link looks like a bunch of newsgroups/

Thanks - Erik

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Powerbook Superdrive RegionFree Apple Firmware
    For ALL Released-After-Sept 2003 (but Before April 2004) ALUMINUM Powerbooks as well as region-free behavior
    (filesize: 1.0 M)
    (Flashes UJ-816 -> UJ-816 XXJ3)

The patch is at your own risk --- like all firmware changes !

you can get it here : -

http://superdrive.cynikal.net/#q21

Scroll down to the bottom -- careful check if is your model and region free you are downloading.

The link I gave you originally was to get you to do some of the work ~~ smiles -- It's a firmware forum where you can post your questions for Mac O/S

Edited for addendum.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2005
  5. erikaf

erikaf Member

Thanks!!

I have a newer 17" Powerbook with 1.33 GHz/PowerPC G4/OS X 10.3.8. The superdrive is the UJ-816.

The only place in the Q & A section where he refers to this laptop is:

"Q: What about the Powerbook's released after September 2003 (but before April 2004)? (the Aluminum 15" and the newer 1 ghz 12" and 1.33 ghz 17" pb)?
    A: This drive comes with the UJ-816, which already supports 2x dvd-r and 1x dvd-rw, as well as 16x cd-r. Therefore, this firmware is unnecessary on this version of the powerbook superdrive.
    -- UPDATE - Apr 17th, 2004 --
    I deeply apologize for the lack of updates, however it is necessary for reason I cannot disclose, the large wait will hopefully ensure the smooth, trouble-free release of the UJ-816 firmware, region free, as well as original version to restore to your superdrive to OEM revision.
    Why did I wait till now? Like I said, I can't get into it, but today being a special day to me, makes it an appropriate occasion at least :) And while my friends and loved ones wish me all the best, on this, the day of my birth, I have this to offer all the fellow powerbook users out there: The long-anticipated UJ-816 firmware w/ optional region-free capabilities. This is my way of giving back.
    Of course none of this would be possible without XVI's help and support. We all eternally owe him a debt of gratitude. :) "

In the download section at the bottom, I am assuming this is the right updater but it does not specifically list my newer 17" powerbook although the drive type is the same:

"Powerbook Superdrive RegionFree Apple Firmware
    For ALL Released-After-Sept 2003 (but Before April 2004) ALUMINUM Powerbooks as well as region-free behavior
    (filesize: 1.0 M)
    (Flashes UJ-816 -> UJ-816 XXJ3) "

I just want to confirm that this is the right updater before I run it. I'm pretty sure it is by his above Q&A statement, but he have ALUMINUM in bold and that is why I was concerned (and mine is Titanium).

Also the most important thing for me is that by making it region free, and being able to view Region 2 (PAL) DVD's, will I also be able to extract those DVD's (VOB files) into Quicktime files using BBDEMUX and other extracting programs so I can then convert them into US Region 1 (NTSC) versions?

Thanks!!

Erik

6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Smiles --

I am pretty sure this is the right firmware -- but -- i gave you a link to the forum that provides those firmware ~~ It might be reasonable for you to post there the exact description of your hardware -- then ask for a confirmation from a user that has the same as you .

Dont want to pass the buck !! But I would feel sort of numb if i was to induce you into a drastic error.. ! your hardware is new and it cost a pretty penny !

Am giving you sort of a steer as to what to get and where to get it --- however am no expert in Mac O/S , we have 35 of them in our graphics Dept , but i use a PC myself. -- Software design and engineering is my field , but i would not pretend to be in a position to fill in for all Mac hardware . Am sure you can find the answer on that board.

Good Luck

7. erikaf

erikaf Member

Thanks!! The main guy wrote me back from that page and it seem like it is the right one so I am going to give it a shot. I really appreaciate all your help.

8. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

The main guy.. is tops.. in firmware for Mac .. you can trust him..if he gave you a green light .. you doing right. !

Take care ~~ was a pleasure to help.. !

9. erikaf

erikaf Member

It totally worked!!

10. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Heyyyyyyy.... way to go .. ! but ..but...but -- you did it the right way ~~grinzz.. you checked first if it would !

Take care.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

erikaf
    In the future, it may be helpful to ask Mac questions in the Mac section. AD has a section especially devoted to Macs. Glad to see the problem got resolved irregardless of where you asked. I'm not correcting you, I'm just pointing out there is the special Mac section for Mac users.

12. erikaf

erikaf Member

Absolutely!! Once I realized that I posted there too.

PS Everything worked with feeing up the regions and I was able to extract with no problems.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Hope the mods don't get you for double posting. The usual process is to get a mod to move a post if you found you put it in the wrong place. Sometimes they overlook it and sometimes they don't.