1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please advise on proper equipment needed

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by michelle9, Nov 24, 2004.

1. michelle9

michelle9 Member

I am building a second computer system and need to have something that will let me hook both computers up to the internet. Am I right in assuming that what I need is a router? This will also allow me to communicate with my other system, will it not? If I didn't need to connect with the other system and just needed something that would allow both systems to connect to the internet(dial-up), is there no other piece of equipment that would work? Thank you for any input. Michelle

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

get a router either linksys(i prefer) or dlink. get wired version if both computers in same room

3. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

If your running win 98Se or newer you can take advantage of 'Internet Connection Sharing'. Your machine connects to the net and the other one shares it's connection. You'll need a NIC(network card)or onboard connection on each computer and crossover cable(Cat5e RJ-45) The cable will run you about $10-15 for 25feet.
    this is a good option if the machines are fairly close or if you can hide the cable.

You could also use a Hub instead of Router and configure one machine as the gateway.

Hope this helps.

4. michelle9

michelle9 Member

The systems are both on the same desktop actually, so that sounds good. I thank you both for your replies!