1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please assist - at wits end on a roller "coaster"

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by slammer68, Oct 20, 2004.

1. slammer68

slammer68 Guest

Can anyone assist me with help on suggested media for lg GSA-4120b writer that won't freeze/jerk on playback on Samsung DVD 540 Combo?

Have read various threads and you all seem to know what you are talking about! I have just ordered branded Ritek G04's, but have tried various media....all of which burn fine, but not one playback without freeze/jerk at some stage...... I am desperate for help..Anything will be of assistance.. note: I am a complete newbie, so go easy on me ;)

2. RicTheRed

RicTheRed Guest

slammer
    Can you elaborate about the freeze/jerk problem you have? When it happened, early, at the end, etc.
    Solution might be different :)

3. slammer68

slammer68 Guest

RicTheRed

Cheers for the assist! Gotta say first up that all my backups appear to play fine on PC. However (and depending on the media used) the freeze usually hits about 30-40 minutes into the playback. Play seems to jump forward to a point my samsung combo can read, then get differing results after that.

Eg using Verbatim Datalife plus -R media, plays fine until about 30-40 minutes in, freezes, jumps forward then I don't seem to get any more problems (it's just annoying!). TDK, shintaro, nec -R media I get various freeze/jumps after the first time (again usually about 30-40 minutes in). None of the 15 discs burnt to date play on my PS2 - most freeze straight away (1st 10 seconds)or after a few minutes of playback.

All DVD's backed up using DVD Decriptor, ifoedit, and burnt mostly with imgtoolburn, however the last 2 attempts I used CloneDVD2 - but this didn't seem to improve playback. 1st 5 or 6 burnt at x4, but the rest have been at x2 and then x1 - but again no dramatic improvement. Any suggestions?

4. RicTheRed

RicTheRed Guest

Sure,

To my understanding, it is not a burning engine problem.
    Your problem is most probably heat/media related.
    Heat first, then media.

The laser or your player is generating more heat when it's reading burned DVD (-R/+R) and most player are placed in an enclosure where the cooling is very poor.

I know one samsung combo vhs/dvd that has the same problem. After being moved, the problem disappeared. Different media generate different heat as well. You may want to try with Ritek. With this particular player, the best results were achieved with Ritek.

Now you may test this using two methods.
    Move your player or try to play one of your problematic dvd starting at the 30 minutes point, when the player was powered off for at least one hour. My guess is it will start freezing after 30 minutes or so. If this is the case then bingo. You know that heat is your problem :)
    RicTheRed

5. slammer68

slammer68 Guest

RTR,

I will try your suggestions when I get home (thx) I just hope my Riteks arrive soon! will post my results asap.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Are you using paper stick on labels on your burned movies? Labels also increase the amount of heat absorbed by the disc. The labels also cause the disc to sometimes go off balance. Most members refrain from using them. Just adding another possible cause to your problem.

Jerry

7. RicTheRed

RicTheRed Guest

Jerry

You are 100% right. Labelling your dvd is not a good thing to do.

8. slammer68

slammer68 Guest

RTR/Jerry746

Cheers for the help. Tried testing for heat (Datalife plus -R media)as suggested and got the same problem. I don't use labels, so this wouldn't be impacting.

Interstingly enough, got my RIDATA branded ritek G04's today (real deal according to dvd identifier). My heart pounded with anticipation as I backed up the kids version of the grinch only to have it freeze on the samsung combo about 20 minutes in, then skip about 2 minutes, play for a while, then freeze.....

I think I am going to need to move my thread to another forum (DVD -R Media for complete morons ;D) as I think my problem doesn't suit the topic of this particular forum and I don't want to upset the moderator!.

9. RicTheRed

RicTheRed Guest

Slammer

I still think that the only reason why your dvd start freezing after 20 minutes is heat.
    You have to know if the heat is the problem. Try to move your player somewhere else. Put a fan. After freezing, let it cool and start the movie at the same point.
    Let me know.
    Another thing to do: buy another player!!

10. jimg

jimg Member

Hi Slammer,Have lg 4120b ,same problem and as yet no solution.i have tried various discs and so far only obtained a good copy on a DVD-RW disc.
    Did you find a solution?

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Try using DVD Shrink I had a buddy that was having similar problem. He switched to using DVD Shrink with Nero and he didnt have the problem anymore. I'm not really sure what the difference was, but it cured his problem. :) Also burn the disk at a slow speed x2. Also you could just buy a cheap 40$ DVD player from Wal-Mart and them things play anything you throw in it.. Go Figure

12. slammer68

slammer68 Guest

jimg/bbmayo

bbmayo - you were spot on! As soon as I started using DVDshrink to encode my DVD files (after ripping using DVD decrypter) I achieved top quality backups. I have backed up a quarter of my DVD library (about 25 discs so far) and everyone is perfect.

jimg - I have to be honest and say that I haven't tried any other media (since I started to get success!) other than "branded" RIDATA [RITEK] x4 DVD -R's.(manufacture ID RITEKGO4 when hit with DVD identifier I live in Australia so this might be worthless but they were packaged in a spindle of 50, black, with the big "arrow" stenciled accross each disc. cost me A$52.00 inc. shipping . I think $1.20 per disc is cheap as chips for the perfect result I am getting.

I'd be interested to know what you are using and what media you have tried.

Thanks for the assist bbmayo, owe u big time!

13. slammer68

slammer68 Guest

also jimg... I flashed the LG4120b with the updated firmware A111 (from A102)...freaked myself out whilst doing it in case I fried the writer ,but it updated fine and didn't screw anything up (except my mind :p)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2004
  14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

No problem Slammer
    Glad to be of service :)

15. jimg

jimg Member

Should have mentioned using dvd shrink with nero.No problems getting from shrink to hard drive and having successful burns (tried 1x tried 4x successfully )But when it comes to playback jumps and freezing on several machines.
    When i ran nero scan disc,a number of unreadable sections were deteted,specifically towards the last quarter of the disc,s.
    After buying several spindles i'am reluctant to continue.(could it be bad luck all of these discs are bad ?).
    Slammer-I too are in Australia (QLD),and i,am having trouble sourcing suppliers for quality branded discs.I have used lazer various makes,unbranded ritek G05,s and have just bought some tdk singles i will try.As yet though have only had some good copys on some lazer rw,s.

16. slammer68

slammer68 Guest

Jimg,

Sounds familiar.. I got the same type of freeze, jerk problem using shintaro, tdk and nec -r discs. All ripped ok using DVD Decrypter, and even copied fine and I can play all my backups (on these brand of discs) on my PC. It was when I tried to play my backups on my DVD player and PS2 console that I got the freeze/jerk problem.

After buying the pack of the branded ridata from www.digicity.com.au (have a look - they have some good specials and even after postage they are very competitive and I got my orders within 24 hours of depositing the payment. I am in ACT). I thought all my problems would be solved. I actually found out the first time using RITEK GO4 media I got the same problem. Thats when I started using DVD Decrypter to decrypt the DVD files, DVD shrink to encode my backups and DVD Decrypter again to burn the image.

Just a suggestion - if you have DVD Decrypter (version 3.5.x.x)and are currently using NERO to burn your image after encoding with DVD Shrink, uncheck "Enable burning with Nero" in the File/IO tab of DVD shrink preferences. Shrink will then default to using Decrypter instead.

From what I recall, this is all I did differently to go from coaster to "perfect" backup (after remembering to also grab the VIDEO_TS vob, ifo and bup files from my main movie when I initially decrypt!!!)

Re your "bad discs". If you haven't already, download a copy of DVD Identifier (freeware) and run it over your -r's. It could well be the quality of the disc dye. There is plenty of info on the different types of dye and the results etc. For example: I found that the NEC discs I got used low grade dye, as does shintaro. My TDK -R's use MCC which I here is quite good.

Being a newbie, I don't know if this helps or is a load of rubbish, but it was my experience so I thought I'd share. Good luck :)

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Jimg
    You can try this in Shrink. I have recommended this to several people and it solved all of there problems.
    When in Shrink go to "Edit" then "Preferences"
    under the Preference tab you will see Target DVD size with a little drop down box. Select this box and choose custom then type "4300"MB in the box. This will keep the burner from writing to the end of the disk which is where most problems accure. Mostly due to dye run off or imperfections at the end of the DVD.
    Click "OK" and do everything else as normal.

I hope this helps :)

bbmayo

18. Kiernan

Kiernan Member

Hi Slammer,

I've had the same problem as you with backups freezing. You seem to have resolved it by burning with DVDDecrypter. Which interface are you using (under Settings, I/O tab) in DVDDecrypter and what speed do you burn at? Also, do you shut down background tasks (like antivirus, mail, etc.) before you burn? I've burned the same movie 6 times, all with freezes and it's really bugging me! Thanks!

19. Kiernan

Kiernan Member

Sorry Slammer, one more (stupid!) question! How do you use DVDDecrypter to burn DVDShrink output?? I can only get DVDShrink to output files in IFO, BUP, VOB format and I can only get DVDDecrypter to burn from ISO files. I'm obviously thick! I presume there's an option on one of them I just haven't found! Thanks

20. RicTheRed

RicTheRed Guest

You have to select iso from dvdshrink. Dvddecrytor will not burn video files. It will burn ISO files.