1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please close this thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by larrylje, Jun 19, 2007.

1. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Sorry to do this but I am taking down all of my guides.

My original post for the reason I am doing this has been edited. Most of this stuff can be obtained by doing some research.

There are some here that have a good handle on the scene so hopefully someone else will step up to the plate and resume where I have left off.

Its been a nice ride and hope the best for all.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  2. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

smart thing to do larry so many people make new threads asking the same question on this topic

3. ricky3318

ricky3318 Member

Nice guide,Thanks

Ricky

4. rufusrex

rufusrex Member

As Borat would say "Very Nice".........

5. juice381

juice381 Member

Excellent work

6. rcjian

rcjian Member

Perfect post, thanks!!!!

7. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

You should add this info to your first post:

Games that have been known to brick systems:

NTSC(U): Mario Strikers (PAL)

PAL: Super Mario Paper (NTSC)

How to fix Bricked NTSC(U): Download Brain Academy NTSC and do an update.

Ofcourse, this is just off the top of my head and the list could use expansion. Also my laptop is about to run out of batteries, but that info would be quite useful if added and expanded on.

8. tigrfire

tigrfire Member

Great thread, hopefully the Wii scene will eventually not have to worry about bricking anymore, but in the mean time, this is a very in-depth and explanative look at the problem and how to stop oneself from running into it. (Running into a brick wall? lol.. awful though, really was just awful).

9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@brucedlx

Thanks for the suggestions you gave.

I did add a little more into the guide. I hope I didn't make it to confusing. LOL

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  10. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

The info is good and clear, but the organization isn't the greatest. It would be a lot more organized if you did it in a FAQ kind of fashion.

I.E.

Q:What does it mean to "brick" your wii

Answer: When you "brick" your Nintendo wii, it means you have rendered it useless, so you might as well use it as a brick.

Q: What is the difference between a "full brick" and a "semi-brick"

Answer: Full brick means that the Wii is completely useless and will not function whatsoever (i.e. loads an Opera style error screen as soon as you turn it on). Semi Brick means only some features of the wii have been rendered useless or "bricked", namely, the settings part.

Q: Why does the Wii get bricked in the first place/How does it happen exactly?

Answer: bla bla bla

Q: How can I avoid "bricking" my Wii?

Answer: bla bla bla

Q: Any specific games I should watch out for that are known to potentially cause problems?

Answer: If you have a PAL Wii (i.e. if you live in Europe) watch out for: __________

" " " " an NTSC-U Wii ("""" live in North America) watch out for: _________

" " " " an NTSC-J Wii (" " " live in Asia) watch out for: _________

REMEMBER: It is SAFE to play ANY region game AS LONG AS YOU UPDATE TO THE MOST RECENT PATCH THROUGH THE WII MENU FIRST! JUST BECAUSE IT'S POSSIBLE TO BRICK THE WII W/ A DIFFERENT REGION GAME DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN NEVER PLAY THEM! JUST BE MORE CAREFUL!

Q: HELP! I have bricked my WII! Is there any hope??

A:
    - If you semi-bricked your NTSC Wii using PAL Mario Strikers then: ______

- If you fully bricked your NTSC-J or PAL Wii using Super Paper Mario then: ______ (you're proper f**ked for the time being)

etc etc

Q: Whatever you can think of

A: Whatever you can think of

````````````````````````

Of course, this has many flaws and hopefully you can fill in the blanks, but I myself was a newbie (I still don't even have my wii modded yet it's still in the shop being done) and if I personally saw a FAQ organized the in this way, I would not have needed to make a new thread (and I assume that is the goal of this sticky). I didn't make a new thread ANYWAYS, but that's because I know how annoying it is for the regulars to see the same things repeatedly. However, it did take me a long time to get all the answers to my specific questions, and I think that is what causes all the repeated threads.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  11. 400

400 Member

i got lucky i updated with a japanese big brain acadamy but my wii still works.

12. tazzy81

tazzy81 Member

I think I've done the opposite. I've got a PAL and played Big Brain Academy USA and it asked for an update and that's when my problem began. Appears I can only play PAL now and none of my NTSC games are working. Does that means it's semi-bricked?

When I load an NTSC/USA game it loads into start then it goes black screen. I've tried four other games. There's also two channels of the weather and news now.

So I was wondering to resolve the issue if I put in Mario Strikers PAL will it reverse the effect and will it bring up an update and fix my problem?

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks

13. larrylje

larrylje Active member

This shouldn't effect you from playing NTSC(U) games that are region compatible. If you can play PAL games you still should be able to play NTSC(U) Game Disc.

Make sure your Modchip still has region override turned on. (What Modchip do you have?)

Try going into your Wii Settings. If you get the Opera error message and can not get into the Wii Settings then you have a semi-brick issue.

UPDATE:

I have came across information that said you can get rid of those duplicated channels by formating your Wii system. (This will not be possible if your Wii Settings are bricked)

I don't have this problem So I can not verify if it will work. I just thought I would pass on the information for those that do have this problem.

For those that do not want to format the Wii or can not access the Wii Settings you can move the duplicated channels to a different page.

Do this by holding down the B+A at the same time (Make sure you hold down B first before pressing A) on the duplicated channel. Then "slide" the channel to another page. I know this doesn't remove the channel but at least it will remove it from the first page that the other Weather and News channels are on.

At this time there will be no game disc that will fix your PAL Wii. You more then Likley updated to a 2.2U firmware on your PAL system and will need to wait for another PAL update to be released that is higher then 2.2E to recover from a semi-brick.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  14. S2K

S2K Regular member

thanks

15. tazzy81

tazzy81 Member

Thanks for the reply. However I've tried formatting twice on my Wii and it's still there. I also checked my firmware version and appears to be 2.2E so I don't think it is bricked for some reason. (Luckily)

I can access all the settings, internet etc just certain games won't play like Mario Party and Big Brain Academy both USA. Sry if I mentioned this in another thread but what I think if you updated your Wii with Big Brain USA and you're on a PAL system you might be lucky and didn't brick it well that's what happened to me.

Based on the info given I checked and seems like my firmware is still right for PAL and also that I can still access everything. Except on the region patch compatability list it does say those two games I tried won't work.

I don't think I can get rid of those channels but I do think it's from the update that made it. So I might just need to wait for another updated PAL game to come out with later firware and update. But the two channels are just other than annoying it doesn't do much.

P.S. I still can't figure out if it's bricked or not. Oh well.

Thanks again

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  16. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

hey just a question:

I tried playing Super Mario Strikers Charged Football on my NTSC Wii today. Ofcourse, I had updated to 2.2u through the setup on the wii, but still when I put the game in the first time, it said "an update must be installed". I hesitantly pressed OK and it downloaded something. I went and checked, and the setting seem to be fine so I don't think it is bricked or semi bricked.

However, in previous threads larry, I remember you saying that if you already have your wii updated it will just "skip over" the update. Can you describe in detail what it means when it skips over? IE is it what happened to me or is it not even supposed to ask you to update at all?

Thanks for your help, and mario charged soccer is a blast to play especially online.

17. HyperViso

HyperViso Member

I've just updated my Jap Wii to 2.2J over the Internet. I've put in a NTSC-U game (Mario Party 8) and it comes up with the firmware update message with the usual 'OK' to go ahead.

The issue is, I also had Biohazard (NTSC-J) and this also produced the firmware update message prior to the 2.2J firmware upgrade and now, as expected, it doesn't show the message because it's running the latest update and the game just runs.

So why would the the NTSC-J game not ask for the update, yet the Mario Party 8 (NTSC-U) game still does? Am I OK to simply press 'OK' and it will check for the 2.2 update, determine it has and skip to the game, or is it going to attempt to perform an update to 2.2U and brick the console?

18. larrylje

larrylje Active member

After you update via game disc your Wii remembers that information and will not try to update with that game disc again after running it for the first time.

When inserting a new game disc with an update it will prompt for an update no matter if your Wii is up to date or not. As long as you have the most current update the update will search and notice you have the latest update. It then will skip the update all together.

You would think it should check to see what update it has then if it needs to be updated the prompt will appear. But this is not what happens. The update prompt appears and you need to except the prompt so it can search and find what firmware you are running on your Wii.

If your Wii is current with the latest update it will skip the update. If the Wii is not current then it will flash the Wii with the new update on the disc.

19. HyperViso

HyperViso Member

Thanks Larrylje.

20. GeoH2102

GeoH2102 Member

Hey everyone..

I just burnt Big Brain Academy (NTSC/U) and I'm running a PAL (UK, if that matters) Wii with a Wiinja modchip installed.

Put the disc in and said it was initializing an update... quickly removed the disc as I've heard of NTSC games bricking PAL consoles. I currently have the 2.2E firmware installed - do I let it update?

Thanks!
    Geo