1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please don't kill me - i'm a total newb wanting to know about the best brands.........

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by brick, Mar 2, 2004.

1. brick

brick Member

i know i need to read a million things on this site.....i just want to get some blanks and want to start out on the right foot!

please humor my noobness and let me know what are the highest rated brands for durability and compatibility

also.....should i use +R or -R

man....i'm sure you peeps get asked this WAY too many times so i'm apologizing ahead of time!

thanks much! :)

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

Depends on many things:

1 - Does your player support +, - or both?
    2 - Player make/model
    3 - Does your writer support +, - or both?
    4 - Writer make/model
    5 - Are the copies going to be played on PS2/XBOX ?
    6 - Are the copies going to be played on other players?
    7 - Other player make/model

Need more info.

Byeeee...

3. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

kk gives ya basics

-r is compatable on 90% of machines
    +r is compatable on 85 % of machines
    +r is apparently better slightly than -r but I never seen a difference

+/-r well its a no brainer -r is FAR FAR cheaper than +r

I personally saw today 25 dvd-rs for 31p a piece n I know they are cool My brother bought n burned 2 tonite

4. Preyzuess

Preyzuess Regular member

I would suggest Ritek Media either + or - depending on your drive. If your drive can do both go with the - if not then use the + .
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]2 PIONEER A07 / 107 8x ±
    2 TDK 440n 4x ±
    RITEK RULES !!!!
    Best way to backup that movie
    1 DVD Decrypter
    2 DVD2one
    3 Nero 6.3[/small]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2004
  5. brick

brick Member

DaOst.....what is "kk"???

hmmm....i've pretty much read that the -r is the most compatible...but i have also seen a couple sources that are saying the opposite...either way your word here is def respected in my book!

details::

-have a pretty basic sony dvd player purchased about a year ago....i know it plays -r...never tested a +r

-my burner is the newest plextor and def supports both formats

-the copies will be played on my xbox as well as this sony dvd....

thanks for the info so far...i really appreciate it!

i see Ritek listed often....not very familiar with them at all

i'm a heavy live music trader (legal) so i do know about cdrs and the brands that i've found to be the best are sony, tdk, kodak, fuji, mitsui, tayo yuden and some of the verbatims........discs i've found to be poor are memorex, maxell, imation, nashua etc.

my assumption is that just because a company can make a great cdr doesn't necessarily translate to dvdr....

anyhoo....please keep your suggestions coming...i'm totally pumped to finally get going!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

6. Fill

Fill Guest

I have been burning DVD's for a while and was also wondering what are the best DVD-R for using on the PS2 i was told that the best disks are ones that have a darker dye so anyone know if this is true if so then what brands have a darker dye?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2004
  7. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

brick

kk means 'ok' I have no idea why I posted that lol

8. jacka$$

jacka$$ Member

you must be bord,...

9. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

The main sticking point is your XBOX...

The choices for you are:

1 - Media Brands: Tayo Yuden, Ritek G04, Verbatim Metal AZO for the media (there are may others that will work in your burner, but the XBOX can be fussy)

2 - Media Type: you will have to experiment with plus and minus variants of the above media to find one that is compatible with BOTH the XBOX and Sony

Try the Ritek first (make sure it is Ritek and not one of the rebrands that use Ritek manufacture - there IS a difference)

You MUST make sure your authoring/writing procedure is perfect BEFORE trying to experiment, as a poor procedure will result in failure irrespective of good quality media.

Practice the writing with a couple of DVD ReWritables first (+ and -), if it plays (autostarts) in the PC software player it stands a reasonable chance of working in the Sony.

Once it works in the Sony, try the XBOX.

Be aware, quite a few standalones and XBOXes DO NOT like ReWritables - so you may have to waste a few disks in testing.

Once you have got it working smoothly, then you can try experimenting with other/cheaper brands of media, but stay away from them to start with...

Have Fun...

10. brick

brick Member

ok.....well putting compatibility aside....

which brands are known to be the most durable and produce the smallest amount of coasters???

with the xbox the only brands I know work solid so far are fuji and memorex

thanks again all....i'm looking forward to really getting into this site and learning from you!

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Ritek and Taiyo Yuden.

12. brick

brick Member

anyone else that can chime in here??

is this the definite consensus?

what of the brands that i mentioned??

13. Preyzuess

Preyzuess Regular member

brick, I agree on Fuji as good media. but they seam pricey compared to Ritek. I dont have not used memorex. But I have heard that they have varying batchs of good and bad media because the contract out the production.

14. brick

brick Member

up and away!

15. maxcady

maxcady Member

brick
    speaking only for myself here. I use Leda (princo) 1X,DVD-R, white glossy top, purple writting side exclusively. I have yet to have a coaster (that wasn't my fault)in over 3 years and counting. I backup movies, make home movies from VCR & Hi-8 and use them for digital slide shows. Sorry, never tried X Box or any other game. I buy bulk from Shop4tech.com. When I started the Leda's were .69 - .77 each per in bulk. People started raving about them and the price went up. The price is still good at .81 per 100.

I use a Sony 500A to burn and the movies have played in every PC and set top player I've tried them in over the years.
    Max

16. Reader650

Reader650 Member

I like the TDK 4X +R, they burn at 6-8X and so far zero coasters...

17. pieman

pieman Regular member

ello..welcome to one of the most frustrating bits of dvd burning!!I can only go by my experiences..I have asked the same question when I started.I only use dvd-,and have learnt all from this site mainly from the afterdawn addicts cos they KNOW what they are talking about.Im currently using clonedisc and ridata 4x and only have the odd problem with my ls5 portable (needs a service i think)but all my discs play fine in my pc and standalone.When I started I made the fatal mistake of buying cheap and soon ended up reburning about 100 discs using my current discs.Frustrating definately as i was using the same procedure-dvd decrypter,dvd2one,nero 5.5 1042.The crappest discs in the world are made by princo,closely followed by discwrite,Infinity and any disc that doesnt use ritek go4.As previously stated, discs not made by ritek but who use a ritek dye cant be wholly trusted.The old adage 'you get what you pay for' rings true here.But even the best discs can have the odd failure...probably having your pc set to the optimum is almost as important ie:no multitasking,burning software,source and recorder on seperate ide channels.And as for using labels well thats another arguement, one which i must experiment with,as this might be what is upsetting my potable player!!If youre in the uk, try www.blankdiscshop.co.uk, or www.dvd-and-media.com both tried and trusted.Good luck.

18. brick

brick Member

so how do you peeps stay on top of what is what made by who??

like you say.....this brand could be made by so and so now....but tomorrow it could be made by someone else or made in a crappier factory etc....

how are you staying updated on stuff like this? just hanging in a forum like this to get heads up???

19. pieman

pieman Regular member

absolutely.which is why you must buy only ritek by ritek!.Theres a nifty little program called dvdinfopro that reads your disc and tells you the type of dye etc,thats a help to a degree,but yup! hang around for news bearing in mind theresfake stuff around too!.There are guys here that have contacts at manufacturing level so theyll know.

20. brick

brick Member

hmmm....dvdinfopro....what good is knowing what kind you have AFTER you've purchased them though??? =P