1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please help a noob out!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by chas85, Oct 7, 2007.

1. chas85

chas85 Member

yeah i've been trying to find out a sure way to back up my games being that i have three bad-a$$ (4,3, & 2 year olds) kids who destroy everything including some of my favorite games. from what i have seen there are mod chips and flashing and changing out drives and firmware and etcetera, etcetera. can someone please school me on how to back up xbox 360 games? i have read the tutorials but i have no idea what an Xtreme firmware update or clone cd or ss merger 1.5o is. i am basically starting from scratch. i know nothing. i have also heard that there are different methods but is all preferable. it really doesn't matter to me. whatever instructions i could get to do so or what ever materials i would need to get would be very appreciated. i also heard that the xbox 360 has to be modded (modchip) to play a back up disc but i was informed that they didn't exist. is this true? thanks for any help in advance. - charles

2. steimy

steimy Active member

Ok, here is the basic and easy way. It will cost you some money up front but save you a ton compared to replacing $60 games.

1. You need to flash your DVD drive (that is if you have one that can be flashed). There are guides on doing it here in the forums at the top. To find out which drive you have compare them to this picture:
    [​IMG]

2. after that you can then read the guide for flashing that drive. You want to use the newest iXtreme firmware for your drive.

3. Next go to Ebay and buy a Samsung DVD-Rom drive for your PC that is flashed with Kreon firmware.
    SH-S162C if you have an IDE connection in your PC
    SH-D163A if you have SATA connections
    If you have no idea what that meand just check the maker of your computers site and they will usually have technical specs on your motherboard and it will show you which you have.

4. Get the latest version of Xbox Backup Creator. I think right now it is 2.6

5. Go to Supermediastore.com and pick up some Verbatim DVD+R DL 6X max speed DVD's as you can only use dual layer for 360 games and you need a good quality disc. they are not cheap at about $37 for 20 but like i said, do the math and everything you just bought is less then the price of replacing two games.

After that you are all set and ready to back up games. Do not worry about SS merger, stealth patching or anything else you read because that Samsung drive will read an original Xbox 360 disc and all of the files needed to be stealth will be there automatically

Once you have all that set and ready then come back and some will explain what you need to do as far as backing them up. It is very, very simple.

3. chas85

chas85 Member

thank you for giving me the basics. so from what i understand, first i flash my samsung (is what i have) disc drive on my xbox360 with iXtreme firmware; then i need a dvd+/-r dl (SH-D163A or SH-S162C depending on which my mother board uses) disc drive in my pc already flashed with kreon firmware; and then use xbox backup creator.

i just have a few quick questions.

1. my laptop (not my desktop) has a dvd+/-r dl burner already, is this capable of burning the games?
    2. am i able to flash my laptop disc drive and does it have to be those specific drives?
    3. am i able to flash my drives myself or does it "have" to be predone?

once again thanks for the info already and any info in the future.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, that is pretty much the general idea. The programs to back up and burn them are free.

1. my laptop (not my desktop) has a dvd+/-r dl burner already, is this capable of burning the games? Should be able to yes. But not sure how you will get the ISO and DVD file from the PC where you ripped it with the Samsung DVD-Rom drive (and so you know the Samsung will only read, not burn) to your laptop.

2. am i able to flash my laptop disc drive and does it have to be those specific drives? Those specific drives

3. am i able to flash my drives myself or does it "have" to be predone? You can do it yourself, you should be able to find Kreon firmware on the net and the flashing programs are very simple one click and done type of programs. But it will cost you pretty much the same so why not have it pre-done.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  5. chas85

chas85 Member

thanks, i'll just go ahead and get the pre flashed drive. the reason i was asking is because i would've liked to be able to do everything from my laptop. i was hoping i would be able to just flash the disc drive in my laptop since it already has the dvd+/-r dl capabilities and use that but i guess not...

"and so you know the Samsung will only read, not burn) to your laptop."

what does this mean? that the pre-flashed samsung with kreon will only read it and i will have to use another dvd+/-r dl drive (like on my laptop) to burn the game? (i'm sorry, i know i sound like an idiot).