1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLEASE HELP ASAP

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by swearhino, Sep 12, 2007.

1. swearhino

swearhino Member

Ok new here... here's the deal, like an idiot, I bought a used PSP off of ebay, the seller stated that it just needed a new battery.. well, I bought new battery, new charger, and all that good stuff, problem is when i go to power it up it wont turn on unless the ac chord is plugged in... when it is in there isnt a problem at all but as soon as it is unplugged it shuts off.. I assume the battery isnt charging or holding a charge or something to that affect.. does anyone know what i should do or what the prob is?? says that it is running 2.6 software, and when the plug is in i can use it, and when i go to check the battery in systems it says 100 percent, battery light flashes 3 bars in top right corner (when plugged in only) but like i said, once unplugged shuts off and if try to turn it on with out plugged in it does NOTHING... Am i just screwed?? do i just need to sell for parts?? what do you all recommend PLEASE.... THANKS IN ADVANCE.

2. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

Maybe you should just let it charge for an hour or two.

Or maybe the guy scammed you.

How much did you buy it for. If it was cheap then it might explain what's happening.

3. swearhino

swearhino Member

actually i had it plugged in all night long and nothing.. only if it is plugged in.. is there suppose to be a light on somewhere if it is charging? and also i assume it doesnt matter if it is turned off or on while chargin? i cang figure why the battery says 100% is that just because it is plugged in and running on external power? i guess i got scammed. that sucks. I paid 120 for it.

4. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

I guess 120$ is a scam. And an orange light should be seen when charging. A green light should be seen when turned on. Maybe the battery is bad? Try another one and see. If it still doesn't work, contact the seller.

5. swearhino

swearhino Member

thanks for the replies that stinks.. is it likely that the new battery is bad since i just bought it? it is a non oem and also bought off ebay but was still in package. I guess what i think is weird is that as long as it is plugged in it works fine. so it cant be the charger itself or the machine could it???

6. XEnigmaX

XEnigmaX Regular member

It sounds like the battery is not connected to the PSP at all. Every time you have your charger connected to the PSP without a battery, it'll say 100%. Most likely, the old owner bent or broke one of the three metal prongs where your battery is supposed to connect to the PSP.

I believe that it's illegal to false advertise it as "Needs a new battery" when in reality it's "I broke it and am going to make up excuses." According to ebay's rules, I think you have every right to complain, send it back, and have him give you back your money.

7. swearhino

swearhino Member

ok so, none of the prongs appear broken off, and after alot of jiggling of the battery and stuff, i find that if i HOLD it and Push it in real hard the orange charge light comes on very dim.. but still the minute that you take the cord out it shuts off>>> any other thoughts?? thanks a bunch guys

8. ST2006

ST2006 Member

Errmm why has nobody suggested it may be the battery? (my apologies if someone did) but it might just be the battery if it works when its plugged in.. and buying a PSP off ebay isnt stupid. although you tend to get more ebay scammers in the US then in the Uk.. I got my PSP 2nd hand ages ago.. its worked great!!

9. swearhino

swearhino Member

the user i bought it from stated that it worked when plugged in and likely just needed a new battery, i did buy a battery off of someone else from ebay,. It is a non branded but new in package battery. anyhow, neither of these batteries will charge or work.. it works fine with the batteries in and plugged in, but will not work as soon as the power cord is removed.. i am at a loss.. i guess i could buy a new battery but how likely is it that both batteries just dont work?? i think i was just ripped off and am frustrated with the whole thing.

10. XEnigmaX

XEnigmaX Regular member

Another solution may be to get an external charger that you place the battery in with no need for the PSP. If it charges, try putting it inside of your PSP. Your problem may be that the charging capabilities of the PSP are broken.