1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help, connecting my lcd tv to my pc.

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by elperra, Oct 14, 2007.

1. elperra

elperra Member

Hi. I just buy a 40" samsung lcd tv, and I want to connect it to my pc, so I bought a vga cable and plug it in to my pc, I can see the start of windows ( welcome to windows) but when is about to start it says " mode not supported". I have a x800xl video card and windows xp pro with sp2. What can I do to make work?
    Thanks.

2. billybob

billybob Regular member

What is the model of your Television?

3. billybob

billybob Regular member

40" ?? Ouch. Chances are you may have to upgrade the graphics or video card in your pc so it is able to display on your TV.

4. byngo

byngo Regular member

plug it back into the monitor it was working on before and change the resolution to 1280 x 768 @ 60 Htz screen refresh rate.
    This might not be perfect but should display.

5. elperra

elperra Member

Thanks for your replies guys. BINGO I will try that to see if it works.

6. raceman94

raceman94 Regular member

Guys, I know this is a little off topic, but I'm wondering here.

I have a 720P HDTV connected to my PC through an HDMI cable. What I do not have, however, is any HD drive of any sorts.

What I want to ask you is if I were to download something in HD at 720P, will that still play in HD my TV or would it be downsampled. I do not have an HDCP video card or anything like that.

7. byngo

byngo Regular member

raceman,
    making sure you are downloading a true 720P file is half the problem.
    There are some WMV files on the microsoft website that are not too big and you have a choice of 720p and 1080i clips.
    You will also need software to decode the HD format.
    Media player 10 i think will do the WMV files.
    I also use PowerDVD 7 Ultra. I think there's another called VLC. (not sure if that's freeware)
    As long as your graphics card is up to the job of high definition decoding acceleration (or you have a powerful processor) the 720P file should dispaly fine.
    The only scaling will be that the native resolution of your TV is most likely 1366 x 768 lines and the file will be 1280x 720 so the file will be slightly upscalled, but that would also be the case if you had a High def player under your telly with a 720P HD movie in it. I believe the manufacturers chocie of 1366 x 768 is a way of reaching a middle ground for many widescreen resoluitons (and it beets the minimum specification for High def)

8. raceman94

raceman94 Regular member

Thanks. Glad somebody responded to me.

The graphics card is probally the only thing holding me back then becasue as far as I am aware of, the Radeon X700 Pro card came out way before HD was in the mainstream. With that said, my graphics card probally does not support it.

One last qeuestion: High Definition and High Resoloution are probally two different things right?

Here is an exaple I'd like to ask you about. I'm looking at the Transformers HD Trailer from Fileplanet, but is there anyway to know if this one is true HD? (http://www.fileplanet.com/176756/170000/fileinfo/Transformers-Theatrical-Trailer-%5BHD%5D)

Thanks.

VLC, by the way, I a free program.