1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help converting my AVI files

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by TuneOut, Oct 25, 2003.

1. TuneOut

TuneOut Guest

I downloaded some MacGyver episodes and they play fine in Divx. I would like to convert them so that I can burn them on DVD. My problem is that TMPGEnc doesn't recognize the avi file. I can convert the audio into a new file, but not the video. I downloaded Gspot and this is the error that I receive. I'm not exactly sure if I'm doing something wrong.

- - ** Problem ** ** File Missing: C:\Program Files\InterVideo\WinDVD4PR\divxdec.ax

What in the duece does that mean?

2. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

Try using VirtualDub to recompress the video to something else (mpeg-4 will work).

3. dnet48

dnet48 Member

If you can play back DivX on your computer, then TmpgEnc should be able to read the AVi file. Select Option->Environment Setting..., then select the tab VFAPI Plug in. You should give DirectShow Multimedia FileReader the highest priority (4) to read DivX, next is AVI (OpenDML), and then AVI VFW. It works for me.

After the mpeg2 conversion, your DVD may exceed 4.38 GB DVD-5 capacity. If you need simple tools to do disc splitting, check out
    www.dvd-replica.com

Good luck.

4. fallguy26

fallguy26 Guest

Hi, i have succesfully encoded many AVi video's to DVD usiing CUCUSOFT (3.38 is better)
    it doesnt loose quality and it pretty quick too.... also no sync problems, no messing with different setting it just does it all for you..... try this im sure it will sort that out.... as for tmpg... what can i say.... i hate it... it has sync probs.. quality loss... takes too long...and thats if it recognises your file...

5. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I would like to burn video files to dvd to watch on my tv but some need to be compressed to fit on one dvd. TMPGenc seems to work fine for this but there is no sound on any dvd's I have burned or in preview, no matter what settings I use. They work fine on my pc. I am fairly new to this and don't know what I'm doing wrong. Thankyou in advance_X_X_X_X_X_[small]mistycat[/small]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2003
  6. Minion

Minion Senior member

"Cucosoft" is a mickey mouse Low end Encoder and is Very slow compared to real encoders, and the Quality is Not good at all especially in High Motion Parts..."Mistycat" your Problem with the audio is that Tmpgenc doesn"t support all audio Formats so the audio in your AVI files is not of a format that is acceptable to Tmpgenc..So what you have to do is extract the audio from your AVI files to Wav format then use the Wav file as the audio source in Tmpgenc, you can extract the audio useing Virtual-Dub or you can use a Little tool called "Decompress.exe" that will uncompress the audio in your AVI file...And when encodeing to DVD In Tmpgenc it will Usually leave you with a Seperate Audio and Video File of which Both need to be authored to DVD..If you choose "Mpeg-1 Layer-2" audio in your DVD settings then you will get a single Mpeg file and the File will be smaller with Mpeg audio....Cheers

7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Thanks Minion