1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLEASE HELP DISC READ ERROR

Discussion in 'PS2' started by smmr, Jan 12, 2005.

1. smmr

smmr Member

Please help me out!! My ps2 is getting a disc read error, I have tried everything from cleaning the laser to adjusting the laser height. It plays ALL BLUE DISC GAMES but not one silver disc game. hope someone can help me!

2. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

your laser is DEAD AS A DOORKNOB

replace it and watch your PS2 fly.........

get one off ebay coz its cheaper

3. hero2004

hero2004 Guest

go to google.com and search: ps2:disc read error and the choose link:
    Dealing with PlayStation 2 disc read errors : Page 1.
    There you should find instructions to fix your disc read error problem

4. hero2004

hero2004 Guest

I have the same problem too but it makes disc read error to nearly every ps2 games

5. scott2453

scott2453 Guest

if you havent opened up your ps2 (broken the warranty sticker thing) then call up the sony tech support. tell them whats wrong and they will more than likely fix it for free. Ive had to send mine in on three different occasions to fix this same problem and not once did I have to pay for the repairs. all you should have to pay is shipping. if you have opened it, then i guess find some info on google or something because then they wont fix it (for free anyways)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2005
  6. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

[bold]PS2 POT Adjustment[/bold]

http://www.geocities.com/djyayo/faq3.html

To make things simpler then the link, the adjustments are located right underneath the laser block itself, even on the ps1 it was on the side of the laser unit where the ribbon (not the power plug) starts. All voltage adjustments on DVD/CD and lasers are almost always located on or near the laser itself.

But in the ps2's case it is right under the laser! Use a tiny flat head screwdriver to turn the adjustment knobs, just a very small turn to the right is all you need.

Basically all it does is increase the strength of your laser beam (therefore it can read data much better). To read cd-r and dvd-r's you need a stronger beam (if you don’t want fmv or skipping in the video and stuff - this will make it run as smooth as an original)!

[bold]Enhance your PS2 Magnet[/bold]

After you take off the top and you see the cover over the cd/dvd drive bay (it has 4 small screws on it); well before you take off the bay top cut a small square off of a small thin refrigerator magnet and put it on top of the silver/grey circle in the middle (it will attach to the ps2 magnet already there). What that does is strengthen the magnet so the disc doesn’t slip out of place. Over time the magnet that holds the cd/dvd in place will weaken this will fix the problem and it’s real simple.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  7. Mobboss

Mobboss Member

Will Sony repair Disc Read Error:
    1) if it's like 4 years after the end of the warranty
    2) uh... for free
    3) i guess that's it

Also if you people know the 800 # to call to get this set up... GREAT

8. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

NO sony will not fix it after 4 years it's well out of warranty. if you bought a car and it broke down after 4 years you couldn't get it fixed for free by the manufacturer.

YOUR LASER IS D-E-A-D

adjusting pots and cogs etc will only waste your time and patience.

it will cost the same to replace the laser as two way shipping costs and you can do it yourself in under 5 mins.

or you could sit and wait 3 weeks on your ps2 returning.

i know what i did and it worked a treat only cost me £20.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  9. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

ok no, accually doing the POT and COG adjustments work great; They almost always work and it doesnt take a whole lot of time or patience if you know what you are doing or have done some of your own research on the adjustments.

I have fixed many of my freinds ps2's disk read errors by doing one or both of these adjustments.

ps: the cog adjustment will not work if you have a v1 or v2 unit, the ps2 will automatically re-adjust back to origional position on these models ;-)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  10. Doulley

Doulley Guest

ur laser is burnt out i hear this all the time

11. agentbad

agentbad Member