1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLEASE HELP... I don't know what to do

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by MD_50_50, Jan 11, 2005.

1. MD_50_50

MD_50_50 Member

First off I would like to apologize if I am asking this question in the wrong forum. Ok I have no trouble backing up movies to an ISO image with DVDShrink. In fact I backed up about 6 of my movies without ever deleting the ISO files. Eventually I ran out of HD space and went to go delete the iso files... no problem right? I got the typical alert message saying that files larger than 2G could not be placed in the recycling bin yada yada yada would you like to pernamently delete. I clicked yes and the file(s) seemed to delete fine. So I go to check out how much HD space that cleared up but I find I still only have the 2.8 gigs i had before I thought I deleted all my ISO files. Has anyone come across this before?? If so does anyone have any suggestions, short of reformatting my whole drive, to regain my lost disk space.

I even gone into the console to see if dir would list the files but they seem to be gone... I just don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated and once again if this is the wrong place for this question I apologize.

Thanks in advance

2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Did you empty the Recycle Bin?
    Did you empty the Norton Protected Recycle Bin? (if you have that)

Right click on the Recycle Bin and do the first and the second if that is also there.

3. MD_50_50

MD_50_50 Member

Yes that was one of the first things I tried. I also ran disk cleanup, and disk defragmenter(altough i only have 5% of my HD available).

4. MD_50_50

MD_50_50 Member

I have now also tried dust buster with no effect

5. stxpsycho

stxpsycho Guest

What version of Windows are you using??

6. MD_50_50

MD_50_50 Member

XP... i should mention that i would like to avoid a system restore if at all possible

7. stxpsycho

stxpsycho Guest

When you right click on recycle bin you should have an option that says "empty protected files" right? Click on that and then purge all.

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

MD_50_50 I found this post on another thread maybe this will help. He said it worked for him.

aut0psy says
    I had this SAME issue and resolved it after a few days of being stumped.

When you delete the LARGE DVD images and they are too large for the recycle bin, they are erased but dropped into the "Recycler" folder, you need to go inside this folder and manually delete all the files in there to regain the space again.

I was unable to get to the "Recycler" folders from Explorer and had to use Nero, I basically started a new compilation as if I was to "ADD" files to it and used that little explorer window to navigate to the "Recycler" folder and delete the unwanted files which in turn regained ALL of my lost space back.

I was a happy camper! :)

If you want to see that thread its close to the end here.

forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/118030

9. MD_50_50

MD_50_50 Member

Thanks but i got newer version of dustbuster(also one that was not in french) and it seemed to work.

Although there has to be an easier way get retrieve the missing HD space. Unfortunately it seems that Dust Buster loses some, if not all, of it's effectiveness after a few uses... or at least according to this post
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/139378

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read/help

Hopefully my 27 gig of free space will last longer this time around