1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help - I need to turn my 360 into a Media Center w/out a modchip

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by apoklyptk, Jan 30, 2007.

1. apoklyptk

apoklyptk Member

Heya everyone,

I just bought a nice big Plasma tv this weekend, and I have been looking at PC-to-TV converters online, wondering how people can get away with gouging us on these prices until it occurred to me that my 360 could be used for this... the problem is, I don't know wtf I am doing.

Just to clarify, I primarily want to just use my comp as a DVR, maybe do some montages of my uber lame Halo skills and upload mp3's faster. I'm not too interested in backing up games, though it would be nice.

Now, let me say I know computers, I know FTP, I know torrents, I know a lot about this type of stuff - this said, I do NOT know my way around an xbox, nor would I like to risk my warranty or hardware by cracking it open.

I was just wondering if there was a way I could ftp into my xbox without hard-modding it, and if so - am I going to be able to play all the diff formats on my tv through my 360? Also, can I just do this through my router?

Cliff Notes:

How do I enable FTPing from my PC to my xbox without hardmodding my 360, in essence, circumventing the required Media Center XP option on the 360?

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks!

2. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

you cant ftp an xbox 360 at all right now, but you can however use a windows based computer using windows media player 11 to share the music from your computer on your 360, you can do the same if you have movies in the right format, which is .wmv

3. mshack1

mshack1 Guest

If you have Windows Media 2005 or Vista installed, you can use the 360 as a media extender and stream video, music and pics through it.

If you wanting to use your pc alone to connect to your TV, then you can use your pc as an HTPC and just need a front end program as it's userface.

4. mshack1

mshack1 Guest

5. apoklyptk

apoklyptk Member

Awesome guys - thanks for the help.

I'm pretty happy with my XP pro setup currently. I was really looking for a way to do it with my current setup.

It's too bad I can't FTP into it - but I don't see how I could synch up WMP11 & the 360, do you guys have any links on this?

Also - I read that post and it looks like I need the Media Center OS in order to take advantage of that.

I am looking to circumvent that....

Thanks