1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help! Ive no idea and think ive semi bricked my wii!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by wiinovice, Oct 5, 2007.

1. wiinovice

wiinovice Member

Ive just recently returned from malaysia to the UK with a japanese modded wii.

It worked great straight away but now some games dont seem to work

the games i have are as follows - i think these may be copied but didnt ask too much in malaysia - they were very cheap!

Im assuming they are JP games (NTSCJ)

Wario ware (NTSC J) - doesnt even register disc
    Zelda (NTSC J) - works fine
    Mario Striker (NTSC J) - works fine
    Boogie (NTSC J) - works fine
    Metroid Prime (NTSC J) - doesnt register disc
    Mario Party 8 (NTSC J)- works fine
    Happy feet (NTSC J)- works fine
    Elebits (NTSC J) - works fine
    Wii SPorts (NTSC J)- works fine
    Resident Evil (NTSC J) - works fine

I am in the UK and have purchase Wii play (PAL) and this is registered on the wii menu but freezes when i click to play it.

I dont read japanese (unfortunately) but i have worked out that its semi bricked as the settings menu is locked!

I also dont know which mod chip i have as it was purchased with it already in.

Ive read that this is something to do with updates/firmwares on discs and updating the WII - my wii isnt connected to the internet as i was advised against this - could break it supposedly??

I was also informed that my wii would play games from any region, so if i went to the states could bring some home. Will this be possible or could it brick my wii?

PLease please please help me!

Im totally confused and dont want to end up with an expensive door stop!!

Ross

2. slibs

slibs Regular member

Whoa, lotta question there lol.

With a modded wii you are able to play most other region games, the only way to brick your wii is if you grab a different region game and update the wii firmware with it. It is common sense really, say you grab a PAL game which has an update and you update your wii, you now have a PAL update on your NTSC wii, ofcourse this is gona mess it up.
    (above is quoted by me from another post, don't wana write this 50x)

Settings locked does sound like a bricked wii. Have you updated your wii through Games at all? Do you know what your firmware is on the wii? Most games are playable from other regions, but sometimes they have problems like freezing, people ussually use regionfrii for this and it changes the region of the game to whatever you like but it's not a guarantee that it will work.

The wiikey is the most common modchip out so it's probable that it is, there is no way to know unless you open it up, you can also try the wii key config disc to see if it reads it.

Possible solution to Bricking: Find a game which is the same region as yours and has an update on it that is more recent than your current wii firmware, this should fix it but ofcourse again it's not a guarantee. BUT there have been problems where some backups stop working after a firmware update is complete, but it's the cost of unbricking, I myself have encountered this but it was the same time as i flashed my modchip so i don't know which caused the stop of working back-ups on my system. Do you know much about self modding? Hope this helps a little, Im always on for a reply

3. wiinovice

wiinovice Member

thanks for the quick respones

Still somewhat confuesed - i dont know anything about this and anything i do know ive picked up through reading forums and getting thoroughly confused as my name says "wiinovice" LOL

Ive not actually downloaded any games, wouldnt know how to and where to actually download them from. I only have the games i bought in malaysia and a wiiplay which i bought in the shops in the UK when i got my second wiimote.

How would i know if ive updated my wii through games?

How do i find out the firmware of my wii?

I have managed to find where to download the wiikeydiscs - which update do i need/want they all seem to do different things - are these easy to put onto a disc - is it just simply brning the file to a dvd?or do i need some special software.

i dont understand why this has happened as i am assuming that all the games i have are japanese - it doesnt really say on the discs - they just say ntsc. If they are all the correct region (Japanese same as the wii itself) - why has it done this?

Really sorry for all the questions - just trying to get my head around all of this!!

Your help is very much appreciated

Ross (wiinovice)

4. slibs

slibs Regular member

Ok think of firmware as the setting on your wii that you can't touch, and in some games, more recent games, they have nintendo wii firmware updates on it which fix bugs n stuff on your wii. When your in the wii menu and you click on a game which has an update it prompts you to update the wii, in which case you can choose to accept or turn off your wii.

If you go into your wii settings it will say what firmware your at in the top right corner, the latest are 3.0U 3.0E and 2.2J, the letter corresponding to the country, Im pretty sure.

The updates on the site that you find update your wiikey not the wii, which the wiikey in itself has bugs aswell which it fixes through the update. Try running the config disc not the update, to see if you in fact have a wii key. If you have Nero all you have to do is write from image and pick the disc corresponding to your region wii and burn it, if your not using nero refer here:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/566540

Even if they say NTSC there are 2 types, NTSC-U and NTSC-J.

If you havent recieved any messages of updating and it has done this it's quite probable that it was like that when you got it. How did the place look where you bought it from?

5. wiinovice

wiinovice Member

thanks

I understand what the firmware is as my network media player(ROKU) also does this. thanks for the explanation though

If you go into your wii settings it will say what firmware your at in the top right corner, the latest are 3.0U 3.0E and 2.2J, the letter corresponding to the country, Im pretty sure.

Unfortunately i cant get into the wii settings to check the firmware.

im not too sure what you mean by "write from image". If i click the link on the wiikey website and open the japanese one that i want - do i just burn this to disc? does any burnable dvd work?

i think it must have done an update as warioware did work and then now it doesnt - reading forums - could mario striker have done this - i know warioware was the first game i tried when i got it when it worked!

It may have asked re an update when the disc went in - my wife does play it so who knows what she pressed and also everything is in japanese so wouldnt have know n what it was asking

it was a very respectable shop in malaysia (KL) - in a shopping mall full of electrical retailers.

So to clarify - if all my games were ntsc j the firmware update wouldnt effect any of the games as they are all the same region. Does this therefore imply that some games are NTSCj and some NTSCU and it has been updated with firmware of one of them, therefore the other regions dont work?

God im confusing myself here!!

AHHHHHH

6. wiinovice

wiinovice Member

7. slibs

slibs Regular member

If it doesnt specifically say NTSC-J it could be either and NEVER update with other region games, strikers does have an update and if it had a US update that could may have well been the answer to your problem.

In nero there should be an option under the actions you can do and one would be, Write from an image, which basically means it burns a CD/DVD from an image file, which you should have downloaded from wiikey.cn/.

The good thing is that you have a Japan wii and that games come out like crazy compared to other countries, which means the newer games should have updates on them and should be easily attainable.

8. slibs

slibs Regular member

1.2 setup disc if that doesnt work try 1.3

9. wiinovice

wiinovice Member

slowly getting there - thanks for bearing with me!

so it looks as though ive updated the wii with the wrong firmware update from a disc! i need a japanese one post the one i have to put it back to the way it should be - any ideas on how to find out which new jap games have these new releases?

Can i burn onto a cd or must it be a dvd? (if dvd +/- etc which one?)

the wiikey 1.2 opens up a RAR file- do i just copy the "bootabledisc _JA" or the whole file rar file?

when there is a new realease on a game does it always give you an option to install or not? its just i dont remember seeing this

How easy is it download and burn games - where do you download them from? would save me from having to buy a jap game

Thanks again

Ross

10. slibs

slibs Regular member

Go into Nero and select the write from image option, then select the bootabledisc _JA file. Burn it to a DVD-R, i think +R is compatible too but -R's are more trusty.

When a game has an update it always tells you when you cick on it on the wii menu screen.

It's relatively easy to download back-ups of games if you know how to download torrent files. It would save you but you'll need to know how to use a bittorrent client.

11. wiinovice

wiinovice Member

im so sorry if i sound really stupid not knowing any of this - i hope its not annoying!

will do that - re config disc

need to get myself some DVD-R's

Will avoid torrents for now - possibly a little complicated for a novice like me! one day hopefully - anywhere you know of that lists which firmwares are on which games?

So assuming i can get the correct JP updated firmware onto my wii, it will put it back to normal with the wiikey working properly and it still being multiregion. My pal games should therefore work as well, but just dont do the update if it asks me? is that correct?

12. wiinovice

wiinovice Member

may sound like a silly question - but why on some websites does it say not to download firmware updates if your wii is moded?

13. slibs

slibs Regular member

Apparently big brain academy fixes strikers update, but u'll need to get the jap version which i dont know the title, also mario galaxy is coming out soon and stuff heres a bit more info of upcoming games:

Japan
    10/25
    Dance Dance Revolution Hottest ...
    Dance Dance Revolution Hottest ...
    Ghost Squad
    Ghost Squad (w/Wii Zapper)
    Gintama: Banji Oku Chuubu
    Simple Wii Series Vol. 1: The M...
    Simple Wii Series Vol. 2: The M...
    Takarjima Z: Barbaros no Hihou

11/01
    Opoona
    Super Mario Galaxy

11/08
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08

11/15
    Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles
    Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles (...

11/22 [/b]
    Dragon Blade
    Gegege no Kitarou: Youkai Daiun...

11/29
    Naruto Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja...
    Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes (Double...
    Swing Golf Pangya 2nd Shot!

12/06
    Disney Princess: Mahou no Sekai e
    Doraemon Wii: Himitsu Douguou K...

14. wiinovice

wiinovice Member

thanks for the list - where did you get that from?

Does this question make sense?

"So assuming i can get the correct JP updated firmware onto my wii, it will put it back to normal with the wiikey working properly and it still being multiregion. My pal games should therefore work as well, but just dont do the update if it asks me? is that correct?"

Does the wiikey only work fully when it has the correct firmware for its region?

So if i put a US game in and it asks about an update - i say no - can i still play the game?

15. slibs

slibs Regular member

Yes that seems bout right, though it's wierd that an original Wii Play won't work, should but i dont know i havent been in your sitch. If you havent tested the game before and it doesnt work it could just be a bad game. Yes for the wii to work properly it needs to be in it's right region firmware, that list was on gamefaqs.com/console/wii/ you can't bypass the update screen unless u use a program called wiibrickblocker, but this is opening another can of worms. One problem at a time lol, goodluck with the unbricking and check back to the forums n let me know how it goes.

16. wiinovice

wiinovice Member

thanks

I think i fully understand now!!

To clarify

Mario Striker has more than likley put 2.2U on my machine (or could be 2.1U) therefore only the NTSC U games are currently working as the multi region on the wiikey isnt working properly.

Therefore, i need to a game with something higher than 2.2/2.1 that is japanese and should make my machine think in harmony as a JP wii

Have i understood correctly?

17. slibs

slibs Regular member

Exactly, but i don't know how the compatibility is when its crossed firmware so i don't think it's as easy as, just NTSC-U games are working nothing else, make sure u do some investigating on how it was updated, eg. which game n stuff.

But thats pretty much the jist.

18. wiinovice

wiinovice Member

One last question.

If i had a modified pal machine in the UK, would it be ok to update the firmware to the latest version online?

Its just some say that you shouldnt update to the latest version - or do they only mean if you are in the incorrect region for your machine?

Or do the new updates detect modchips if your online?

THanks again

19. slibs

slibs Regular member

The update doesnt specify from your location, it specifies to the wii console, so even if your in the UK and you own a Jap Wii if you update online it will do the Jap firmware, though the update button is in the settings menu.

20. wiinovice

wiinovice Member

thats very interesting

I dont understand why some say not to update the firmware on a modded wii - surely doing this keeps it safe from bricking - if it has the latest firmware on it?

i think im confused again