1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help Losing Memory

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Adamc2326, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

I dont know if anyone can help me but I have found after doing a system resotre i have lost 1gb of memory is this unusal. If so is there anyway of getting this memory back??

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

List your computer specs. What memory are you talking about? Are you talking about RAM or disk space on your hard drive that you have lost?

3. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Intel Celeron 2.80 ghz processor
    256mb ram
    Ei System
    I have lost 1gb of disc space on my hard drive
    many thanks for your response

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If you altered any programs, such as updating them, since you created that restore point, then Windows will change that entire program to Whateverthename(2), and keep it on your hard drive, in additon to the original program, thus taking up hard drive space.

There are other things that will be changed to the (2) status, also.

When your computer booted up, after telling it to restore, did you see a list of things that were changed? It will usually list them on the lower left side of the screen, when it first boots up.

5. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Hi, to be truthfull I didn't notice any list of what the computer changed but then i wouldn't of been looking. Is there anyway of tracking back and finding if I have got any duplicate files. Thank you for your replies nice to know I am talking to someone who knows there stuff, I phoned up the helpline where I brought the computer from and there answer was to do a complete factory restore and start again this is something I really do not want to do.
    Adam

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You could look through your programs on C:\Program Files, and see if any of them have a (2) by them.

Also, clear out your temp files and temp internet files in C:\Documents and Settings\User Name (User name = your name)\Local Settings.

Local Settings is a hidden folder. Go to My Computer/Tools/Folder/Options, click on View, scroll down to Hidden Files and folders, and click in the circle to the left of Show hidden files and folders. Click on Apply, then Ok. Now you should be able to find that folder.

7. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Hello Again, Im afraid to say that i could not locate any files with (2) next to it. I deleted all my history tempory files and basically any crap i could find but did not free up any memory at all. This is a mystery which is going to be hard to solve, have you any other ideas or do you think i should just give up.
    Adam

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Well, you could go into System Restore, and click on the Undo Last Restore. After it boots up, check the size of the space left on the hard drive, and see if it is still 1GB less than where you are right now.

Also, did you uninstall software, delete files, etc., prior to going back to where you are now?

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hey, it maybe that the information on the hard drive is reporting incorrect files sizes.

Chkdsk may flag these up and repair them.

A link for with some advice http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx

Also a small bit of extra info is that you can remove ALL but the last restore point - this free's up lots of hard drive space if you have lots of restore points.

Double click My computer
    Right click on your root drive (usually c:)
    Select properties
    Select disc cleanup
    When it has finished scanning it will present you with various options.
    Select More options on the above tab
    Goto the bottom where it says system restore and click on cleanup.
    Click on ok, to the, message, then click on OK for are you sure.
    Then it will do it's thing, and if you have a lot of restore points they will vansih and replinquish your hard drive of much used up space.

BTW:This WILL REMOVE ALL but the last restore point...................

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  10. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

This looks like great advice I am at work at the moment but as soon as I get home it will be the first thing I try and then will let you all know what happens.
    Adam

11. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Thank you to everyone for there advice but a massive thank you to baabaa after following his simple steps I deleted all previous systme restore points and like magic I regained 1gb of hard drive disc space. This site is amazing and I would recommend it to anyone, why spend countless hours on the phone to helpdesks who tell you useless stuff when you can just type a few messages and get a cracking result. Again thank you all keep up the good work.
    Adam

12. baabaa

baabaa Active member

You're welcome.

I always have a purge on my PC, usually once a month after installing/uninstalling things and after updates (which all log a restore point).
    I run various spyware/adaware programs, do 2 or 3 virus scans, clean out all temp junk/internet rubbish etc, have a scan through the registry and make sure the majority of lost links etc are gone.
    Check the defrag status and defrag if required.
    Then do a system restore point, and then Ghost my hardrive to DVDRW.

I always try and keep a clean machine and a regular purge always cheers the 'lady' up...................

Just done my mums, her hard drive was sitting at 7Gbs (I know it's not much) but she does not have all that much on there and it just reduced it to 4.6Gb.................

Amazing how much space gets wasted with 'leftovers' and un-needed restore points.
    The only drawback is, that you lose the other restore points, and can result in you losing software that you have installed previously (if you do have to use a restore point), but I keep a note of software I install and always make backups of them.............

Anyway glad you managed a result and hope to see you around the forum.

And [bold]Welcome to Afterdawn[/bold]

13. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Glad you got your space back. Baabaa, you da man!

14. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

I will take that advice and do a clean up monthly, this is the best internet site I have found so far I have been taught how to speed up dvd burns for my personal backup, and now how to keep my harddrive spick and span. I am sure i will be using this site a lot and who knows maybe one day I will be giving the advice :)

Adam

15. baabaa

baabaa Active member

No doubt you will, thats where we all started...................

@GrandpaBW

Just passing on my congratulations on your recent promotion, excellent news for the ever increasing ranks of here at Afterdawn.................

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  16. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Thanks, Baabaa.