1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help me, computer wont boot up...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by indienemo, Nov 13, 2004.

1. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Hi guys, as some of you may know I recently have purchased a complete upgrade for my system, however I did not, however, upgrade my hard drive, as it is full of needed games, apps, music etc. On the IDE cable, the HDD is set to master (have not changed jumper config, possible problem?), and the cd-rw drive is set to slave and has slave jumper config. When I turn on my computer it comes up with the O/S menu, and I have tried all available options at least once, however, no matter what i click i always get the same problem...

The monitor flashes off, then back on again. Sometimes I see the Windows XP professional boot screen comes up, quick enough to see the bar move across the screen slightly, then crashes to the blue screen with the following error message:

'Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed Hard Disk Drives and Hard Disk Drive controllers.
    Check your Hard Drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
    Run CHKDSK /F to check for Hard Disk corruption.

Technical Information:

***Stop:0x0000007B

(0xF8B50528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do you have a spare hd to load windows as an experiment to see if problem stays or goes away

3. indienemo

indienemo Guest

No I dont have a spare HDD...

I asked one of my mates the same thing, he said that 'The problem is down to microsoft, and theres pretty much nothing you can do... youll either have to install linux and back up to CD, or just f*** it and buy a new one..'

Is this correct is thee really no hope..?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2004
  4. ddp

there is always hope, can you ask any of friends for spare hd, trying to isolate problem, is it software or hardware

5. heybilly

heybilly Regular member

Well one thing im hoping u didnt do is just install the old hd in the new setup without running the xp install again... not having the proper system drivers loaded for the correct mobo will cause BSOD during startup.

6. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Nope, they are all console bashers unfortunately and the friend in question (with the quote) comes from where I used to live..(only 350 miles up the track). My dad wont even let me use his HDD, says I'll blow it up (LMAO). I was thinking, should I buy a new HDD, format it, intsall windows plug in my current one, (so it doesnt actually need to boot up O/S), then transfer from one to another?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2004
  7. indienemo

indienemo Guest

No I havn't reinstalled windows on it, because i dint want to risk losing all my data, but i did try though putting the xp disc in and setting it to boot from cd-rom, and nothing happened, just carried on to the O/S choice menu.. should i download the program from the micrsoft site for floppy boot discs, so i can re-install?

8. heybilly

heybilly Regular member

No what you need to do is go into the bios and setup ur ur boot sequence to goto the cdrom before the hd... then u should be able to boot right off the xp cd... once u get that started just do a xp repair install not a full... that will just rewrite the xp components not touch the rest of ur hd

9. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Ive already doing that, but as ive said it just skipped booting it and went straight to the O/S choice menu...shall I try doing doing it again now?

10. ddp

what was old chipset on motherboard, if not same as new chipset go into safemode, remove drivers, restart & xp will install correct drivers either from self or from your cds

11. indienemo

indienemo Guest

yes it was a different chipset, but ive tried and it wont even boot up into safemode...

12. ddp

1 it sounds like xp cd is not bootable, 2 is hd formatted as fat32 or ntfs

13. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Im not sure if my XP cd is bootable, its not quite ummm, L364L, shall we say... and second my HDD is formatted to NTFS..

14. ddp

you didn't mention 2nd hd before on posts or info, is bios seeing both hd & what is on 1st & 2nd hd

15. heybilly

heybilly Regular member

16. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I know, thanks, Ive just this minute finished downloading that, as I thought it might be worth a try, Ill update progress later, cheers all.

17. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Dammit, and i was so close as well.. I repaired windows up to the point of restart to finish (overwritten all the old drivers etc.) but then...geuss what it crashed. But hey, maybe if i reset it and try again it will still have those xp install files it might still work...no luck. Im getting pretty desperate now, the only solution now appears to be put my HDD in my dads PC and back everything over to his HDD, then put back in my PC do a complete format then install windows XP on a fresh partition, finally putting the HDD back in my dads PC to get back my files? Would this work, a good idea guys?

18. ddp

go for it, you got nothing to lose

19. indienemo

indienemo Guest

but has he?....if i somehow manage to hurt his system all hell will break loose!

20. ddp

what windows does he have & whether fat32 or ntfs. if different format than yours, he won,t be able to see you in windows