1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me copy a dvd!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cgmp913, Nov 7, 2004.

1. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

Dear People who know how to copy dvds:
    I recently purchased a hp dvd movie writer dc4000 (8x+R, 4x+RW) and hooked it up to my ibm thinkpad laptop (384 mb ram, 13.1 gb free space, windows xp, normally fast) over usb. The Sonic software that came with it wouldn't allow me to copy copyrighted dvds. After looking around on this forum I followed ScubaPete's advice/instructions and downloaded dvd shrink and dvd decrypter. I then followed each step. Using a sony 120 min, 1-8x speed, 4.7 gb blank dvd+r/rw, I tried to burn my first dvd. The analysis took over an hour, and then it was "encoding" for over over 4 hours, before it finally began to copy (which lasted an hour and a half). This seems extremely excessive as well as annoying. Any suggestions for what i might have done wrong or how i can speed up the process? If I can't get this to work I am thinking about getting my hands on dvdxcopy platinum. Please help if you can!
    Thanks, Charlie

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  2. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

Please help if you can! Any advice would be greatly appreciated from scubapete, or any other knowledgeable person.
    Thanks, Charlie

3. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Hi Charlie--
    I am hoping one of the more knowledgable people answer you, but in the meantime, I have copied over 100 DVD's succesfully using Scuba Petes guides and the same programs as you--ie. Shrink and Decryptor--The first thing that comes to mind is--do you have anything running in the background or are you online--I know for a fact that my computer can not be doing anything else when working on a DVD--Mine has 512 Ram only and yours is less--still should work quite a bit faster though--just make sure DVD copying is the only process the computer is working on--the analysis should be maybe 2 -3 minutes for most movies I have done--Good luck--

Whitfield

4. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

Thanks for the reply. Wow, 2-3 minutes of analysis sounds really great, because it honestly took an hour and a half to analyze, 4 hours to encode, and an hour and a half to do the actual burning. I didn't have anything in the background. I think it should work faster I'm not sure how to fix it though. Thanks again for your reply.

5. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Forgot to ask--was the burn successful? If so--then we know the process you used work (I know RW disks are slower generally)I also wonder if being 8x disks mattered--generally 4x or slower is recommended--but wouldn't have anything to do with analysis etc. just thoughts--

6. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

The 2-3 minutes I meant for the original scan of the disk to be copied--you did do that right? --then of course you either copy full disk or re-author for the real analysis/copy--which does generally take about 30-50 minutes on my computer--then burn takes maybe 15 minutes

7. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

8. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

OOOOOOOHHHH, no the original scan when I pressed open disk took about 2 minutes. Then the deep analysis took an hour and a half, and the encoding 4 hours and the burn an hour and a half as well.

9. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

Hi cgmp,
    I can't tell you why your backups are taking so long but if you do a deep analysis it will take considerably longer. One piece of advice I feel obligated to reveal to you is "Don't Waste Your Money On DVDXCOPY Platinum". IMHO its garbage.
    Goodluck<
    HW.
    PS. I'm sure that somebody hear will have some great answers to your questions.

10. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

Thanks Hallywood. A friend of mine recomended dvdxcopy, but if you think it's garbage I'll take your word for it. Do you have any suggestions for software I could buy to copy copyrighted dvds? Or do you think I'll be able to get DVD Shrink/Decrypter to work for me?

11. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

I agree with Hallywood--don't waste your money--I did and then found this site--You do not need to use deep analysis--it will take considerably longer is you do--some say it is well worth it--I only use it on GREAT movies--try just regular copy--(rw is rewriteable disk and will be slower)

12. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

The link you gave me to your DVD's shows they are just DVD+R Sony disks--very good brand--doubt that is the problem--check the backup you made and see if it works

13. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

OK thanks, I'll stay away from dvdxcopy... I noticed during the burning that the write speed was only 839kb/s (.6x), even though my burner is 4x and the dvds are 4x too.

14. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

YES! My backup works. Thank goodness i got something out of 7 hours. I still don't think it should take 7 hours from beginning to end. I could take out the the analysis but that would still take 5 and half hours. Any suggestions for how to speed up the endoding, so it doesn't last 4 hours?
    Thanks, Charlie

15. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

So now that I know it works, I only need help speeding up the optional deep analysis (took 1.5 hours), and the decoding (took 4 hours) and maybe the actual burning (1.5 hours) Let me know if you have any suggestions for speeding up any of these processes, or ideas for what i'm doing wrong.

16. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

I started a new cd to see if it would take as long, and it was so i cancelled out. The deep analysis was going at a rate around 1300kb/s. The encoding was going at a rate around 600kb/s. Does that mean anything?

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

cgp913,
    First off, What is the speed of your processor?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

18. cgmp913

cgmp913 Member

Mort81-
    Intel Pentium III processor
    896 MHz, 384 MB of RAM

Please let me know if that means anything

19. Vedas830

Vedas830 Guest

cgmp913
    I used to be a Beta tester for 321 (werent we all LOL)
    With that said dont waste your time with that software its JUNK
    My Personal favorite is Clone DVD2 used in Conjunction with Slysofts Any DVD
    They have 21 day Trial Versions of both
    Heres the links to get them
    Any DVD
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html
    Install this reboot
    Then go here
    http://www.elby.ch/products/clone_dvd/
    Install this and Reboot
    Use the guide on this site it will show you what to do
    All you have to do is let AnyDVD run in the backround
    As for the slow times you are getting
    Part of this is probably due to the CPU you have
    Another thing is check to see if your Drives our in PIO or DMA
    You want them in DMA
    Another piece of software is DVD Shrink and its FREE
    Checkout the downloads section here youll find it
    and then Checkout this site
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/
    They have one of the best guides for using Shrink that I have found to help people out that are new to using this software
    Hope this helps and Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2004
  20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Ok, I'm not sure if I can help with all your problems but, if you were using deep analysis and adaptive error compensation, then those times are really not excessive for analysing and encoding with that processor.

If you want to dramatically speed up your analysing and encoding times don't check these options. The backup may be a little grainy or blurry but unless you have a bigscreen tv and are very picky you probably won't notice much difference.

As far as your burning times go that is very excessive. I'm not familiar with that burner. Is it internal or external? USB? Average burning times for internal dvdrw 4x= 12-15 minutes 8x= 8-10 minutes. Don't quote me on those times. Those are only approximations.

Let me know if your burner is internal as there's another thing to check. I'm not familiar with external drives but I know they are slower.