1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me pick a broadband

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ABMone, Aug 14, 2003.

1. ABMone

ABMone Guest

Has anyone tried aol broadand? any good?
    how bout comcast? theres a deal here for like 35$us for comcast

any suggestions please and thank you!

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Get the fastest u can afford - im on 512KB and Herbsmans on 1MB. my uni is on an gigastream connection. Shit...i get 4-5MB a sec downloads in there.

3. ABMone

ABMone Guest

what does better through a cable or a dsl modem and how does that work?

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Personally, i prefer the DSL method. I looked into cable and found it to be more expensive. This was due to me having to get cable installed in the first place. With the DSl all it took was a modem, a dsl filter and some guy to push a switch at my local exchange. It was great.

In UK cable is a lot harder to get, but im sure Americans and Canadians get theirs quite easily because cables in so many home already.

The advantage with cable is that i dont think that there are line compression ratios. What this means is that in my area, as many as 10 people can connect to the one line at any one time. This means i may have to share my bandwidth with up to 10 other people. If 10 other people were ever to use the internet at the same time as me, it would go back down to around 52k, instead of 512k. This is very very unlikely to ever happen though, but it is a possibility.

5. ABMone

ABMone Guest

ok one more question on this one it says up to 1500kb on speed but the fine print says price for 1.5mb/256k high speed internet is blah blah

what does 1.5mb/265k mean?

thanks for the help its much appreciated

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

1.5MB is the download speed, the 256K is the upload speed. 256K is pretty good, most companies only allow 128K. When it says up to, thats what i was talking about the compresions and contention ratios used by telephone companies. Most of the time it will be near the peak anyway.

7. ABMone

ABMone Guest

thanks oriphus looks like ive found a winner

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Good man, 1.5MB is pretty damn fast. Hope yu enjoy it :)