1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by phoenix69, Nov 7, 2004.

1. phoenix69

phoenix69 Guest

hi there

I am new to all this so please bare with me

I used this guide to help me rip dvd's
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/small_dvd_2_dvdr.cfm

I followed it exactly!!
    But when it came down to burning, the only file extensions I had were, MDS, and I00 and I01, there was no DVD extension as it says in the guide.

I am using the new dvd decrypter as well.

Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong.

The Phoenix

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Just click on the ISO image file that is around 4.35GB, it should lauch DVD Decrypter.

3. phoenix69

phoenix69 Guest

thats the whole thing, it won't let me, keeps telling me I have chosen the wrong one and to use the .mds one that is only like 10 kb's

4. flip218

Hmm, I believe with the new DVD Decrypter you should only end up with two files. The ISO and mds.

Did you choose ISO Read R to rip?

5. oneacer

oneacer Regular member

Try this, it should get you up and running.

Simple DVD Backup Steps

First create a folder for your HD backup. Try to put it someplace where you won’t forget it (i.e. C:/All DVD Work).

Next download DVD Decrypter (link below) and under mode select “ISO, Write”. Un-tick the box that says, “verify”. Where it says, “source”, you’ll leave that blank, as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file automatically. Lastly, where it says “Destination”, select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter; DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it.

The link for the newest DVD Decrypter -

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Download DVD Shrink (link below). Open it and click “Edit”, then click “Preferences” on this page we’re going to select “Target DVD Size” as custom and set the size to 4360MB - we do this to make extremely sure that our disc isn’t too large. Then under the “File I/O” tab un-tick “Enable burning with Nero” then click “OK”.

The link for the newest DVD Shrink -

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner’s drive. (Many people suggest using Ritek G04, Verbatim or media boasting “Advanced AZO Dye. All other media could very well cause errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Now is definitely not the time to put your cheap stuff in, although there are a lot of people that have success with the cheaper media including myself, however I am currently using Ritek Ridata, which you can get for approx. .35 - .39 each (+R).)

Click on “Open Disk”.

Before you rip with Shrink, you have the option of selecting “Full Disk” or selecting “Re-author“. Most of the time before I rip with Shrink, I select re-author and then double-click on the Main Movie (usually Title 1). This moves over only the main movie to the left to be ripped. I don't even bother with the menus, as you can still select chapters with your player.

Now, click on “Backup!”. Take just a second and under “Target Device” go to “Select backup target” once there, select “ISO image file and burn with DVD Decrypter”. Finally, where it says “Select target image file”, browse till you find your created folder (i.e. C:/All DVD Work) for your backup and click “Save”. That’s it! Click “OK” and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.

P.S. You will find it easy if you place a shortcut on your desktop for “All DVD Work”. This way you can open it and empty it often as the movies stay there, in case you need to backup again. However the more you keep in there, the quicker you run out of HD space.

Also don’t use your PC for anything at all while it’s backing up, including turning off anti-virus, screen savers, and all other programs that might be running in the background.

Good Luck

6. flip218

Ok, I did a quick test.

Ripped w/ Decrypter in ISO mode. (click mode -> choose ISO Read R)

Got 2 files. ISO and mds.

To burn the ISO either:
    1) just click on the mds file, and select DVD Decrypter to open the file

or,

2) Delete the mds file, then click on the ISO image file

7. phoenix69

phoenix69 Guest

I tried what you two suggested, and I just keep getting a .mds file and an I00 and I01 file, and it telling me to choose the .mds one.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

phoenix69,

Here's the "Uncle" ScubaPete's, can't miss, step-by-step guide to using DVD Decrypter -

HINT:
    I always create a folder on my Desktop named " All DVD Work" and before ripping my DVD's I create another sub-folder with the name of the movie I'm backing up. (i.e. C:\All DVD Work\The last Samurai Kills Bill by singing Dixie.)

Next - you need to download this:
    (Get your DVD Decrypter's newest version here - )
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

To do the backup with DVD Decrypter it's best to do it in the ISO image mode. First go to "Mode" then "ISO," then select "Read." Where it says "Source," select the drive containing your original DVD. Hopefully, this drive is your DVD-ROM drive. Using your burner to read a disc is hard on the drive. The constant starting and stopping of the drive can cause over-heating and can prematurely wear your burner out. If you have just the one drive, there's not much you can do but use it. Where it says "Destination," Browse until you find your pre-made folder and select that. Now "Click" the Disc-to-HD icon

When the "Reading sound" signals that the job is complete, remove your original DVD and insert your *blank DVD. Then go back to "Mode," then "ISO" and then choose "Write". Now we go to "Source" and locate our folder where our ISO and mds file resides. Choose mds. Then, let's head to "Destination" and select our burning drive where our blank DVD disc awaits. Lastly, we "Click" the HD to disc icon and STAND BACK FROM THE COMPUTER ! It's too late in the game to want to make a **coaster, isn't it ?
    Your PC requires more resources while it's burning than at any other time. The only other thing that requires that much of your PC's resources is the encoding of your DVD. To copy a DVD successfully it's only necessary to use a decent grade media and to let your PC do its "thing" without your interference -
    until we hear the "Finished tune". This method will also make excellent copies of previous backups made with any other application, as your backups don't require any additional compression.

*. DO USE; Phillips, RiData, Sony, TDK, Ritek G04, Verbatim DataLife, Verbatim DataLife Plus, media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO", Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Other media could cause unnecessary errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video burning. Now is defiantly not the time to put your, "Boy did I save money buying this crappy cheap stuff." in - )

**Coaster is a single-write DVD that for one reason or another hasn't been burned correctly and therefore cannot be played. Its only use is for a beer coaster.
    NOTE: It is illegal to use a DVD coaster for any other drink but beer.

Thanks for stopping in and remember,

When you want Guides with a dysfunctional personality, shop ScubaPete :p)

Cheers,

oneacer,

a pretty fair guide you wrote there, lQQked kind of familiar (Lol)

Pete

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  9. brobear

brobear Guest

phoenix69
    Here is a real simple one for you. Ditch DVD Decrypter for right now. Decrypter is a great ripper, but as a standalone recording app it is lacking. By the way, you never said what you were recording and what size it is. Is it below the 4.36 GB limit for using DVD Decrypter?

This is guaranteed to get you going unless you start pushing some wrong buttons. Download the Nero trial if you don't have Nero. (Don't load the InCD portion of the app as it causes recording problems.) Currently, the Nero trial can be downloaded an unlimited number of times (so, no initial cost). The Nero burning rom will burn from Shrink automatically as the default. Next download DVD Shrink. (Don't mess with the settings until you learn how. A little reading in the guides will help. I don't know of a good guide on the 3.2 Shrink with the quality settings yet unless one was recently published. The guys in the Shrink section can help there. So you won't have to worry about anything other than the download.)

[bold]So, just download the Nero and the DVD Shrink. Put the disc in the drive. Hit open disc. Choose the full backup option to get started and you're off.[/bold]

When you read up on your guides you can play with the editing. With Shrink and Nero, things will work automatically without changing a lot of settings and you aren't limited to files less than 4.36 GB. Oh yes, Shrink will open up those ISO files on the HD as well and burn them with Nero. You have to open the file with a different command than the disc. So, read the manual for the different controls. There are a lot of guides for Shrink. DVDShrink.info has some good interactive quick guides. There are also some guides here at AD and Doom9.org has some more in depth guides. Good luck and do the simple first and then read up and try the more complicated things. I fear you may have started the other way around.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

phoenix69
    Depending on how new you are you may find this post I have prepared for beginners handy.

So, remember:
    Decrypt + Transcode + Burn = Backup DVD

If you don't need to decrypt it or shrink it, just referr to the copy section of your recording suite.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2004