1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help. My PS2 is not reading my games, dvd, cds....

Discussion in 'PS2' started by x_rider, Sep 1, 2003.

1. x_rider

x_rider Member

Well, I was playing socom and then the game just foze. I let it sit for a bit since I thought the game just foze up. Well, it sat for a while and nothing happened. So I turned it off and then turned it back on. Well the PS2 would start like normal and then it would just go straight to the browser screen..and the game would not be read. I tried this a dozen times and the PS@ would just go really fast into the browser screen. I mean really fast...like it dosn't even try to read the disc. It would'nt even try to read the disc since it just zips to the browser screen like when there is no disc in the PS2. I tried, dvds, dvd-rw, cd, cdr...nothing would work! The PS2 would just do the same with all the media I have...it would just zip into the browser screen...Does anyone know what could of happened? The laser? Something loose??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

X-Rider

2. billz

billz Active member

does your orginal games work.have you clicked on the cd in the browser?what happens?

3. x_rider

x_rider Member

Thanks for asking billz. The original does not work, since that is what I was using when this happened. My socom is a real PS2 game. When I click the browser, it goes into my memory cards. When I put in a game/dvd/oringinal PS2 game/Copy of a game, it goes into the browser screen really fast like it dosn't even try to read the cd inside the drive. You know when you first start up the PS2 without a game in the drive...it's like that. Could it be the mod chip inside?? Or the laser??

4. billz

billz Active member

yes but if you click on browser it should show your memory cards in and if it reconizes the disk they'll be a blue disk if it a cd or a gold disk if it's a DVD.click on the disk form the browser screen and see what happens

5. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

Just when through this like 4 times on this forum.

Alot of PS2's have shotty laser optics. They need to be reset. Try different console positions for the boot (ass up, ass down, face down - up ect ect.)

Try this before ripping it apart - I just spent $300 last weekend to find out that the origional console was just being buggy.

A lot of consoles want to boot only horizontally, or only vertically.

I also read a thread where buddy had to shake his PS2 gently during booting for the laser optic to un-jam itself.

Let me know what you come up with.

Cheers!

6. telescope

telescope Regular member

Do u hav a modchip?????

7. x_rider

x_rider Member

Thanks for a replys guys. I went to the browser and there is no disc at all. And I turned it on its side(both ways), upside down etc, even shook it...it just goes into the browser screen..really fast. Do I have a modchip? Yep. All in all I have a bad feeling that it may be the laser....I knew the PS2 isn't that greatly built, but heck..I didn't know mine would crap out so fast. So what do you guys recommend? Do I replace the whole laser unit or open it up and take a look if there is any loose cables or what??