1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please HELP Optical drives on the blitz.

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by Vrex, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Vrex

Vrex Member

Whenever I try to make a CD I get the following errors:
    Sonic: No compatible recordable devices found on system.
    Roxio: CD Copier could not locate a supported CD Rom reader. Creator API can't see all the cdroms in the system please check if they are connected properly.
    I have two optical drives: HP DVD-RW 400i and HP CD-RW 9300.
    I can't solve this problem by restoring system. I have already uninstalled then reinstalled both drives from the device manager. After rebooting Windows XP correctly identifies and automatically loads the drivers for both drives. After noticing that the "enable recording" box on the properties tab unchecks itself, I changed the device type from "1" to "2" (recordable) for both devices in the registry. Now whenever I enable recording on one of the drives, the other one automatically unchecks "enable recording". And I still get the same software error messages. What is wrong? Thanks in advance for any suggestions, advice. I have already tried several registry cleaners without success.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

They are IDE drives. Are they on the same cable? Are the master / slave jumpers set properly? Have they ever worked OK together?

3. Vrex

Vrex Member

Previously they worked okay together. The CD-RW is a slave to the DVDRW on the same channel. I finally decided to remove the CD drive completely. Then I also uninstalled the software that didn't work and replaced them with NERO express and CDit. This is not my main computer but a real old one. So, for now the problem is solved, though I am baffled about what may have caused the originally problem.