1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help, still can't flash my drive, I've tried everything.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by epa2k7, Sep 26, 2007.

1. epa2k7

epa2k7 Member

First things first, I have read the guides and I'm still stuck. I'm trying to flash a Hitachi 78 and I'm trying to use my Hp m8120n computer to do the flashing.

First I tried using a Sata to Usb adapter and I was able to get my computer to detect the drive but then I couldn't dump the firmware with the firmware toolbox because it would hang up.

Then I tried my on board SATA port on my Pc and I would get the drive to mode b but then when I tried to restart my computer it would start up but then not load Windows and just give me a black screen.

Then I tried using the SATA port on my pci express card, and it detected the drive, but when I tried to dump the firmware I discovered that it only detected the drive as a Cdrom drive and not as a Dvd drive.

Finally I bought the SYBA SY-VIA-150 PCI SATA / IDE Combo Controller Card, Non Raid card that everyone says works, and I installed it in my computer and what do you know my computer won't even detect the card .

I'm completely stuck and have no idea what to do. I have been trying to flash my drive for weeks and it seems that every time I think I'm close to getting it there is something that holds it up. I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance.

2. yzrider22

yzrider22 Regular member

Are You doing this with windows Vista,I have had nothing but probs with my v78 drive in vista,I couldnt get it to work so i just took my pci card to a buddies xp pc in flashed it first time.My on board sata card flashed a ms28 really easy.But the 78 hung up and never dumped no matter how many times I tried it,Also Im using the DOS Cd plus Iprep.One thing also when you get to the part to select the drive. You are turning your xbox off right, then selecting xtreme then waiting few secs.Power back on and letting it dump or flash right.Just a few thought to help ya out.

3. epa2k7

epa2k7 Member

I am using Vista, maybe that could be the problem. Thanks for the help.

4. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

Your 78 drive hung only because you were trying to flash it like a Samsung.

VIA chipset SATA card and FWtoolbox, and Slax 2 is all you need to flash a 78Fk drive. If windows doesn't boot after slax has put the drive into modeB, then unplug the SATA cable from the 78 until windows loads :)

5. yzrider22

yzrider22 Regular member

I didnt know you could flash the hitachi from windows.Like the samsung .I have both a onboard chipset plus a via 6421 non raid,using the 6421 on my hitachi,and the on board for the ms28.You wouldnt have a link with a updated guide for flashing these would ya?Or pm it to me maybe.

6. epa2k7

epa2k7 Member

I still am getting nowhere with flashing my 360. I think the pci card might be the answer but the SYBA SY-VIA-150 PCI SATA / IDE Combo Controller Card, Non Raid card I bought is still not being detected by my computer in either one of my pci slots. Any ideas on how to get it to be detected so I can see if that will help me flash my drive? Or any idea on how else I can try to get my on board SATA to work? By the way I have a Intel P965 chipset. Does anybody know if that is compatible? Thanks for any information you can give me.

7. mperagine

mperagine Regular member

Do you have access to a Windows XP computer? If so, try to install the card there and flash. Also, if you try the SATA to USB adapter again and it hangs up, try ejecting and closing the tray, this helped me when FW toolbox hung up on my machine during a flash. What version of toolbox are you using? You could always try a different version with the SATA to USB and see if that will work better on your machine.

8. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

Not sure on vista's compatibility with flashing these drives but it could be your problem.
    First thing i would try is flashing with XP on a PC with a intel ICH* chipset. The ICH chipsets are the most compatible controller to use for flashing hitachi's.
    I have a via chipset and did not have any luck with it but use a ICH6 chipset with XP and works fine.

9. epa2k7

epa2k7 Member

Thanks for all your help. I finally got it to work. While I couldn't get it to work for the life of me in my new computer, I put the controller card in my 5 year old computer with xp and everything runs smoothly. Only with Microsoft could doing something become more difficult as they "improve" their operating system. Thanks again for your help.

10. mperagine

mperagine Regular member

Glad to see you got it working!

11. mperagine

mperagine Regular member

Sorry for the double post office internet is hanging bad today...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007