1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help, this is driving me mad

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by george7, Dec 30, 2004.

1. george7

george7 Member

My computer is about 6 months old. It has one cd drive (which is working fine), and one dvd r which i was previously only using to burn music cds from itunes and copying cds using a quick burn program.

This last 2 months though it (DVD R) wont even read a cd. If i put a music cd in there, (or a blank cd) it wont show up that there is even a cd in there. as soon as i put a dvd in there it is fine and starts playing the dvd.

I have completed all the troubleshooter ideas, I.e deleting the driver and restarting the computer so it installs it again. Tried to update the driver, etc. It shows that the driver is working fine.

Any ideas please?

2. john179

john179 Active member

You could check to see if there is any good firmware updates for the drive which will make it more compatible to cd's.Try web site of the maker or as a alternative try the link below.

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

3. george7

george7 Member

thank you very much John i will try that. The thing is it used to work fine before so why all of a sudden it has stopped?

4. WiteWizrd

WiteWizrd Regular member

ya firmware is probably what you need also though. look at your media. if you have changed the brand or anything that might be your problem, go back to that media that worked for you.
    if you are still using the same media then the only thing i can think off is the firmware.

5. george7

george7 Member

thank you both very much for suggestions and i am about to try thr firmware site. Sorry to be a pain but i am new to this. My DVD RW is a NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A. Do i look for firmware that corisponds to this particular device or another nec download?

6. hursty

hursty Active member

updating firmware is not easy?or is it?
    p.s ROONEY is a animal called shrek

7. george7

george7 Member

also how do i change my media?

8. hursty

hursty Active member

ADVICE....if you dont know how to change your media,DONT attempt to update your firmware,that is for advanced users
    the term media refers to the type of disc you are using,for example tdk,memorex,ritek,infiniti etc etc etc.that is all..
    regards hursty