1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with backups.... A new protection scheme?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Spark427, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Spark427

Spark427 Member

I have a SCPH 39001 PS2 (v7) with a Magic 3.6 clip kit installed, both are less than a week old. I am having a problem with Spongebob Sqaurepants: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman and Simpsons Skateboarding. Both boot every time, but go to Red Screen Of Death eary in the game. Simpsons Skateboarding loads and plays the intro movie, but goes RSOD before the main title screen, and Spongebob works until you go out leave to enter Bikini Bottom, at which point instead of loading the level it goes RSOD.
    The thing that puzzles me is that every other backup I have tried works flawlessly ( they are all over a year old) and the original discs go RSOD at the same point as the backups unless I disable the Magic chip with the reset button. It is almost as if the game recognizes the chip and stops working at some point other than the initial boot. Is this some new protection scheme? Has anyone else had similar problems? I have done a search and people have had problems with Simpsons and Spongebob, but there doesn't seem to be an answer. Any help would be appreciated.

2. shopchris

shopchris Member

We got some problem with V7 magic 3.1. We try with V4 magic 3.1 it work. So, problem is on V7 version not the chip or backups.

3. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

Sponge bob works ok for me, V7 magic 3.1.

4. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

--wcpir8 -- how did you back up spongebob? i have the same problem described above. I've done over 100 PS2 DVD and CD games just fine, but I am having the same trouble with spongebob. Are you making it past the main menu in to the game?

5. jr_

jr_ Guest

Either
    1. He really has a 3.0
    Not unusual for people to have a 3.0 when they thought they bought a 3.1
    2. He did not play past the intro
    3. His 3.1 is not shuting down.
    4. There is more than 1 version of games (doubt it)

That is interesting about the PS2 version. I would argue that it is the chip since the Messiah does not have this problem regardless of PS2 version.
    The Magic 3.1 is advertized to work with all versions not 1-6 and most games on version 7.
    If indeed the problem is version sensitive.

6. newbee101

newbee101 Regular member

make sure you are burning to HD and then to CD, not cd to cd. also make sure you burn at 2x read and write max....so I have read in other post

7. Spark427

Spark427 Member

I have a Magic 3.6 chip, red board with v1-v7 on the chip and it has the built-in connectors for the clips that attatch to the BIOS and the pionts on the back of the mainboard. I use CloneCD 4.x with the "Game CD" burning option. I also rip to my HD before burning to disc, rather than on the fly.
    In Spongebob, I am able to load, go to the main menu and select new game. The game works totally fine while I am in Spongebob's house, but then goes RSOD when it should load the Bikini Bottom level when I attempt to leave. I have similar problems with Simpsons Skateboarding (Anyone else?)
    The fact that the originals exhibit the same problems leads me to believe that, as jr_ suggested, the Magic mod is able to be detected by the game and cease operation at some other point rather than at boot up, because when the mod chip is disabled with the reset button, the originals work flawlessly. Also I suspect that this problem only occurs on certain versions of the PS2 in conjunction with the Magic mod.
    Does anyone else have any input on this matter? Any more info would help me get to the bottom of this. Thanks.

8. jr_

jr_ Guest

Interesting Spark
    I had orginally thought that Magic 3.1 was just shutting down after 4 seconds and these games were seeking boot code info or whatever it is that Sony impresses on the disk.
    I had thought this because Dues Ex and Max Payne would work on a Magic 3.0 and not a 3.1
    Since they did work on a Magic 3.0 it is hard to believe it's a new form of copy protection or chip detection.
    I was told also that Duex Ex works on a flip top which if true really blows my orginal theory out the door.
    I don't have Sponge Bob or Simpsons so I can't tell you what happens with a Messiah 2. My guess is they work fine.
    With Hitman 2 and a Magic 3.1 if you just let it play the intro and don't start a game for a while it will go to the red screen. It did not do this with a 3.0 which again makes me believe it is not a copy protection scheme, since just going ahead and playing the game would defeat it.
    It's like some action taken by the PS2 in response to a command by the game will trigger a response in the Magic 3.1 that results in the RSOD.
    It seems to happen with a major transistion in the game like in Hitman 2 when it should just play the intro again after a time out.

It's sounds like the Magic 3.1 like the Magic 3.0 has some design flaws. The 3.1 has fixed some and created new ones.

9. Spark427

Spark427 Member

Thanks jr_, that was some good advice. I guess I should have gotten a Messiah2. I thought I getting the "latest and greatest" with Magic 3.6, but I guess not.