1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with Blindwrite Prob (Not typical prob either)

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by .X., Mar 9, 2003.

1. .X.

.X. Member

Hey guys, I snagged BW 4.25 and started reading up on it. So when I'm finally ready to try it out I start following the steps from this site that someone else posted here. (http://www.geocities.com/mikk999/blindwrite.html)

Anywho, everything is fine and dandy until I get to the "Physical CD characteristic dumper"

Here's the problem, I "cannot" get to nor even "see" the "max sectors" box, to change the value to 50000. Like I mean literally all I can see is "max sect" at the edge of the screen. I tried maximizing, sliding the window manually. I don't get it. And frankly it's really starting to burn me up...Is it my monitor? I tried different refresh rates and resolutions and there is still no change. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it big time.

Thanx.

P.S. I have a 17 inch Cicero Perfect Flat High Resolution Monitor (FL-170B)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2003
  2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I'm not sure, but last version of the BWA Builder might set the maximum value according to the image size. So changing it is no really necessary. Just check that the number is consistent with the size f the image (in sectors, I mean: some 300,000 sectors more or less)

3. .X.

.X. Member

Thx for the reply aldaco12. Man it's sure annoying though, when there's a little problem that basically defies reason and kicks "explanation" in the ass, heh. Oh well, moving on, since I can't seem to get at that "max sectors" box no matter what. I've been ripping and burning (still with BW) and trying different methods etc. The burns aren't working b/c the cd just hangs and I actually am forced to restart at that point. On my last burn log, it did indeed use the bwa file that I made (graph was "somewhat" to similar to the pic in the ^^ above link) however, it also said something about expected subcodes missing. Darn, I wished I had saved the log now, but it was something like that. Does that tell you guys anything in particular? I'm obviously doing something wrong, just trying to narrow it down. Thanks again.

4. .X.

.X. Member

>_>

<--Looks at fast increasing pile of coasters...

DOH!!!!!!!!!

lol

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

You can also try dumping a .MDS file (full image with subchannel) with Alcohol and convert .MDS to .BWA to use with the BW image (there is a menu in the BWA Builder). But I'm not sure this is the problem... more likely your burner is not capable to correctly extract/burn subchannel data info (because you use THE BURNER to read, do you?).

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

What game are you trying to backup?
    What brand name burner do you own?
    Use BlindWrite 4.25 for SecuROM 4.8.x
    Use Alcohol 120% for Safedisc 2.8.x

If your backing up SecuROM 4.8.x and your bwa file that you created are failing you, go to this link and download what you need. My LiteON& Polaroid bwa files failed me, and I used ViRuS2k's bwa file for backing up Unreal Tournament 2003 and backup worked on the 1st try.

Shoey

Shoey

7. .X.

.X. Member

Ya I guess I didn't include all the info for my second post. Sorry 'bout that there Shoey.

Anyways, tis all ok, because *drum roll* I finally did it. Produced a perfect backup copy of Master Of Orion 3. So I'm happy.

I guess my LG GCE-8481B can do the trick.

Next Project: "Splinter Cell"....>_>

Time to download clonyxx(sp?) off here so I can find out what sort of protection I am dealing with.

8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Splinter Cell is Safedisc 2.8.x cd protected (disc 3). Use Alcohol 120% with Safedisc 2 profile enabled. DON'T enable "enhance, amplify weak sectors" in the write process.

Shoey

9. .X.

.X. Member

I really wish I was at the burn process with Splinter Cell and alcohol Shoey. Seems I've run into a snag. Ok here's the deal: I used BlindWrite and made a SC3 (Play Disc) image and then burned using BW as well. The strange thing was, it "didn't" work in my cd-rom, but it "did" work in my cd-rewriter". I found that kinda weird.

So I decided to try and make another with alcohol. Except I cannot for the life of me seem to create a cd image from it. I tried various combinations of "safedisc 2" options in alcohol, and I even tried using both my drives, but errors come up, or it can't finish the DPM (if I have it enabled)

So I've been searching and reading through threads on here, but haven't had much luck as of yet. Is it that maybe I "don't" have a "2-sheep burner"? Perhaps I'm just not going through the image creating process properly.

I mean we know I can handle securom 4.8 (since I did a successful Master Of Orion 3 play disc burn)...but.....I just don't know...I'll keep reading and maybe hopefully you might have some advice or tips for me.

Thanks again Shoey.

10. Shoey

Shoey Guest

.X.: posts\I really wish I was at the burn process with Splinter Cell and alcohol Shoey. Seems I've run into a snag. Ok here's the deal: I used BlindWrite and made a SC3 (Play Disc) image and then burned using BW as well. The strange thing was, it "didn't" work in my cd-rom, but it "did" work in my cd-rewriter". I found that kinda weird.
    A) Your cd-rom can't bypass the "twin sector" cd scheme of SecUROM 4.8.x. You need to remove the bwa file and burn the image again and name it "install disc" and DON'T check "enable bwa file". If you backup cd ptotection I highly recommend the LiteON LTD 163/165/166 DVD-Rom. This bad boy bypasses SecuROM 4.8.x(Twin sectors)& Safedisc 2.8.x.(bypasses ATIP), excellent dae accuracy& speed for audio and after updating firmware, can read ALL media at present. If you backed up Safedisc 2.8.x and played the backup with "no additional measures" (hide cd-r, emulation), then the LG 48x rom is a 2 sheep burner using Alcohol 120%.
    Using CloneCD backing up Safedisc 2.8.x with a 2 sheep burner is a "hit& miss". Some burners succeed (Polaroid BurnMAX48), some fail ("Some" LiteON burners).

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2003
  11. .X.

.X. Member

Shoey posts: Your cd-rom can't bypass the "twin sector" cd scheme of SecUROM 4.8.x

Err well, I "did" make a copy of Master Of Orion 3 play disc. (SecuROM 4.8x) So now I'm a little confuzzled....

Umm, The problem that I am having is creating an image file, using alcohol, from the Splinter Cell CD3 (Play disc)

It seems like clone cd might get the job done though, (from a link I just read)...Hmm now to find out if it does and if then I can burn that using alcohol.

This stuff can get really complicated o_O!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2003
  12. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I understand you made a backup of SecuROM 4.8.x. You posted that the the SecuROM 4.8.x protected backup won't play in your cd-rom, but will play in your LG. If you use the "live internet assisant" (Blindwtite), the team tells you to create 2 discs of the SecuROM 4.8.x protected cd. 1 disc you burn with bwa file (play disc), the other without the bwa file (install disc). Why? because if your LG couldn't bypass the twin sector scheme of SecuROM 4.8.x, you couldn't have installed the game m8.You would need the aid of emulation and then the backup(s) become "software compliant). Use the Safedisc 2 profile to read the image Splinter Cell (Disc 3), you shouldn't encounter any errors? You don't create a "play disc or install disc" when baking up Safedisc 2.8.x. This only applies to SecuROM 4.8.x.

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2003
  13. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I'm in error when I say "twin sectors. It is "twinpeaks", part of Tages.
    Sorry for any confusion.

Shoey

14. .X.

.X. Member

I don't know what time it is where you are, but it's damn late here and I think that's why I'm getting all messed up bud.....ok to restate.

"I really wish I was at the burn process with Splinter Cell and alcohol Shoey. Seems I've run into a snag. Ok here's the deal: I used BlindWrite and made a SC3 (Play Disc) image and then burned using BW as well. The strange thing was, it "didn't" work in my cd-rom, but it "did" work in my cd-rewriter". I found that kinda weird."

Ok, I "have" a burned backup copy of Splinter Cell Play Disc and it works only in my writer, not my rom. (Both my drives are actually LG) As for Master of Orion 3 Play Disc, the opposite is true. It does "not" work in my writer, but rather works in my rom.

So, I am only assuming that my Splinter Cell backup CD that I created is not perfectly done? Considering it won't read in just a normal cd-rom. Well, not mine at least. Hence my problems with not being able to create a image in alcohol. (As opposed to using blindwrite like I did the first time)

Phew.....ok.....I think that covers it now...o_O

15. Shoey

Shoey Guest

"I really wish I was at the burn process with Splinter Cell and alcohol Shoey. Seems I've run into a snag. Ok here's the deal: I used BlindWrite and made a SC3 (Play Disc) image and then burned using BW as well. The strange thing was, it "didn't" work in my cd-rom, but it "did" work in my cd-rewriter". I found that kinda weird."
    A) You DON'T use BlindWrite to backup Safedisc 2.8.x (Splinter Cell), you use Alcohol 120% using the Safedisc 2.8.0 profile.
    --------------------------------------------
    Ok, I "have" a burned backup copy of Splinter Cell Play Disc and it works only in my writer, not my rom. (Both my drives are actually LG) As for Master of Orion 3 Play Disc, the opposite is true. It does "not" work in my writer, but rather works in my rom.
    A) Were you running Alcohol 120 in system tray (startup)? If so, exit Alcohol 120%, reload the disc and see if it will install& play.
    Your LG can't bypass the "twinpeak" cd sheme of SecUROM 4.8.x, so if you created an "install disc", the game would install& play using the LG 48x.
    Safedisc 2.8.x: Use Alcohol 120
    SecuROM 4.8.x: Use BlindWrite and create an "play disc"(bwa file in folder and enabled in the write process). Now create an "install disc", NO bwa file in the folder where you saved the image AND DON'T check enable bwa file in the write process. I know it sounds confusing, lol.

Shoey

16. .X.

.X. Member

LOL...yes it sure can be confusing, but it's damn fun though. I haven't spent this much time on the internet in ages..

OK OK....I think I got the majority of what you are saying now. And yes I made sure alcohol was totally not running and also that no emulation options were selected when I ran the MoO3 disk from my rom.

Anyways, I am going to tackle SC tomorrow, with a fresh and untired mind, hah.

Again, thanks very much man.

And last question of the night...I wanted to put my comp and drive info into my sig like you have. How do you get the nice small font??

Or is it a secret? >_> <_<

lol, g'night Shoey.