1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with DVD burning

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Matroskin, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Matroskin

Matroskin Member

Hi guys! Last week i bought DVD burner, its IOmagic or benQ 16x, dvd burner with double layer technology or something like that. So, now i thought that burning dvds would be as easy as burning cds..........BIG MISTAKE! :)
    Can someone PLEASE help me to understand how it works and how to burn movies that i got from internet to DVD-R or DVD+R disks, so they would play in a regular house DVD player(not the 1 in computer)
    On my side i offer any help with software or hardware( i am a pc dealer) in return.
    THANKS VERY MUCH, ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

2. vossy

vossy Guest

two programs to keep in mind dvd santa,you can get it for free of any p2p program..ie limewire etc and dvd shrink for direct backups,very simple programs but i only have a single layer burner i can only assume they work as well for dual layer dvd burners

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Matroskin,
    Hi and welcome to AD. First you will need some software to break css encryption, compress, and encode the original dvd. Most people around here prefer dvd shrink because its free :) and easy to use. You will also need a burning engine. Most people prefer nero but you can also use dvd decryptor (also free). And very important, you need to use good quality blank media, some recommend a dvd+-rw till you get things going. Taiyo Yuden is best. Maxell, TDK, Verbatum datalife, Ricohjpn, branded Ritek Ridata, and any media coded MCC is good. Stay away from Memorex and any retail store brand name media eg: Comp USA Staples.
    Click on this blue dvd shrink to download the software. Here is a link to a guide. Good luck and let us know if you need further help. http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

A couple more things to keep in mind it is generally recommended that you don't burn over 4x (with a few exceptions) to cut down on the chance of burn errors. Also step away from your pc while shrink and nero do their thing. No multi-tasking.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I just reread your thread and realized you said "from the internet". Vossy gave you 2 good programs for that and i'll let someone else explain the details for that as I have not done much of it. The media and burning speed still apply.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  5. Matroskin

Matroskin Member

Guys, Thanks for such a fast reply. But......under normal conditions i'd ask u to speak english :)
    CSS encryption? encoding? LOL
    Mort81, Forgive my lack of knowledge in this area and please explain what is CSS encryption and what is decoding? I got the programms that u have mentioned and also i have "latest and greatest" NERO AND EASY CD CREATOR6. Which 1 is better? I do apprecciate ur help very much but, i am affraid i am gonna need alot more explanation and do some reading as well. :)
    So, PEOPLE....i could use any help, any ideas and suggestions. THANKS TO EVERYONE.

6. Matroskin

Matroskin Member

MORT81. When i said from internet i ment that i use kazaa lite and also i use programm called bittorent. I download and watch movies , no problems but, when it comes to burn them to DVD disk - then its a pain.
    And about VOSSY - yes dvd shrink is a great programm but , limewire.........its buggy and very unstable. Try kazaa lite. U can not get a copy of it anymore because of copy rights and because its spyware free. If u need a copy - just give me ur email and i will send it to u.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Matroskin,
    CSS encryption is basically the copyright protection put on dvds. The best way to get definitions of terms is to use the glossary tab at the top of the page.

I have a question for you. I have Kazaa Lite but have not figured out how to download any movies or vidios only mp3s. No email addresses on the forum so I will send you a pm. Any pointers will be appreciated.

8. Matroskin

Matroskin Member

Mort81. When u open kazaa lite, on the left there is a search option, u can choose what to look for - its either videos, audio, software or documents. Just choose video and type in search criteria. And what's PM?

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Private message. I've tried that but will try again. Thx.