1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with DVD writer

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by coolchica, Feb 22, 2007.

1. coolchica

coolchica Guest

Hello,
    I am so sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place. I am new here. My name is Amy! Nice to meet yall!
    I bought a samsung dvd writer just yesterday. I am having a problem with it. I hope you guys can help.
    When I set it up, pretty basic stuff. I put in a dvd. Now, on this computer I do not have a dvd drive period. But when I put it in. It showed up as an open folder having folders in it. One saying jacket, the other saying video ts. I wasnt sure why it wouldnt play but anyway, I dont know what happen. My DVD writer just started not recognizing any dvds or any other cds I put in it. The E drive would say please insert disk, and I do but it still says nothing is in it.
    I even tried to put the dvd writer on my laptop to see what would happen because it was a dif computer, and it still said no disk please insert a disk.
    I hope this explains it well. Does anybody know why this is happeening? Thank you!

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well hello Amy and welcome to AD,

What brand of DVD Writer is this? I am assuming it is a USB external type? Did it come with a disk to load? It should have you need to load the disk (drivers and software) The reason it won't play a DVD movie is because you have to have a DVD playing software installed on your system (like Power DVD or WinDVD). Most drives you buy will come with this software. Does your computer recognize the drive at all when you plug in your USB cable? If so does windows load it properly?

3. coolchica

coolchica Guest

Thank you so much for getting back to me.
    It is a samsung external dvd writer. The directions told me to have my computer off and to hook it up and to turn it on and turn my comp on as i did. When I first put in the dvd it showed up as a foler with two folders in it jacket and video ts. but I wasn't sure how to play it, anyway I tried to do a dvd shrink btu it said there was a problem. But I didnt look into it.
    Then I am not sure what happened. It just from then on when I put a disk into the drive in which it shows the drive is there. But it says there is no disk in the drive. Thats all
    I did get software but there was nothing to download. IT was a user guide then a few websites like downloading firmware and something about nero i was confused.

4. coolchica

coolchica Guest

I am sorry,
    It did come with nero software which I just installed, but it still says the same message "please insert disk into E drive" but the disk is in there.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

OK what program are you using when it tells you to please insert the disc into E drive? can you just browse to your E:\ drive and see the disc there?

Try unpluging the USB cable from the computer and then plug it back in (without shutting down the PC) Does windows recognize the drive? I am trying to see if Windows is seeing your drive at all. If it does then that is good and we can go from there on getting it to recognize your DVD.

6. coolchica

coolchica Guest

Thanks,
    It does 100% recognize that there is an E drive when I plug in the cable. It show in my computer the E: drive its self. My problem is, when I put in any dvd or cd, anything. It is not showing that there is a disk in the drive. It says please insert disk into E drive