1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with mod. My Dad is going to kill me

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by gersrt, Oct 26, 2007.

1. gersrt

gersrt Member

Ok thinking I knew it all I decided to install my wi-key myself.

I have the one with clipped legs.

Couldn't solder to points on chip so I grinded back on the chip.

Still couldn't solder to the traces so decided to lift them up to make it easier.

Now whats happened is I moved them a little bit too much back and forth and two broke.

Question is. can i grind back more more of the chip to expose more of the traces
    and then lift them again to make it easier to solder on to. (does it matter how much of the chip u grind away.

Also I seem to have excess solder on the 2 or 3 pins beside the 3 I'm working on. Can't seem to cleanly remove it all.

Any Ideas much appriciate.

Thanks

An Idiot

2. Sagadon

Sagadon Guest

I'd stay stop while your Wii will still function.

Those cut legs aren't used, and your Wii will still work. The further back on the chip you go, the smaller the traces will become, and the greater chance of shorting out some connections.

Your mistake was 'lifting' the traces. Just remember The heat goes from the soldering iron to the elements through solder. You need to tin the soldering iron, or even have a very tiny bead of solder on the iron to transfer heat to your component and get a good solder connection. Not only that, but the grey material that makes up most of the chip is a heat-sink, so it'll take longer than a pad would to heat up.

Two options:
    1) stop now with a functioning Wii and get some games for Christmas (or get a job to buy some)
    2) stop now and sell it as a 'functional Wii after a failed mod', and buy a new wii to try again. (you may get a d2c Wii)

3. thor77777

thor77777 Member

Another option is (if you're desperate to get it modded) to take it to a professional modder and see if he/she can fix/mod it. It might be a long shot after your description of the traces being broken off.....

I agree with Sagadon......if I were you I'd stop here and have a functioning Wii.......

4. yupyup77

yupyup77 Member

hey man check out uexboxmods.com he helped me a ton!! i didnt mess mine up that bad! but i thought mine was un modable, he not only fixed it but was able to mod it perfectly with no problems! no extra costs!!!

5. bass_hit

bass_hit Regular member

Sell it and get a new Wii and mod that (D2Ckey).

I miss the days where wiikey installs were as easy as open solder close. Now it's checking to see if you have cut legs, checking to see if you have D2B or D2C, soldering 30 wires, finding out Nintendo has a new form of copy protection, updating the chip....