1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with my PS3 display

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by MUNEYG, Feb 6, 2008.

1. MUNEYG

MUNEYG Member

I got the 40gb PS3. I have a 42" panasonic plasma 720p. I watch TV perfectly, play games perfectly. But, when I play dvd's or blu-ray's I get the black bars at the top and bottom. my previous dvd player played in widescreen and filled the screen. My TV has Just, H-Fill, and Full...and they all show the bars when I use the PS3. The movies are widescreen versions. Never had black bars til the PS3. It's got to be a setting somewhere, but I'm setting up everything like I think I should. Any suggestions? Oh yeah, I am using HDMI cable.

2. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

I think that is the way it is with the PS3,i dont think there is any way of changing it.

3. Mossey

Mossey Member

@ MUNEYG

i just watched the movie WAR last night on my PS3 and had full screen on my Philips 42"-settings are 4:3, Movie Expand, Movie Expand 14:9,Superzoom and Widescreen. Im sure if you play around with your TV settings you can sort this out, its Definatley not a PS3 problem.

Sorry, i have the PS3 60GB version, and i know the 40Gb lost a few features buy i doubt this would be one of them. Hopefully you can sort the Panny out!

4. yimmmy

yimmmy Regular member

just redo the display set up and let it do it automaticly and you should be fine

5. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

If your previous DVD player filled the screen with the same films instead of giving black bars then it was actually displaying in fullscreen not widescreen. The blackbars are used to retain the correct widescreen aspect ratio for a film.

6. yimmmy

yimmmy Regular member

i have a wide screen tv and i still get black bars every time i play my widescreen dvds

7. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

It also depends on the aspect ratio as said before. I'm not sure at the ratios numbers but I do know that some DVDs fill the screen and some don not. I believe that using the DVD upscaler at 720p reduces the size of the screen significantly meany more black bars. Play around with the display settings a little bit.