1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with new PC builder. cpu fan trouble I think.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Ksan01, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Ksan01

Ksan01 Member

Hi guys, need a little info here please. I am building my first PC, I have a cpu fan that had me put bolts through the motherboard with rubber washers on each side, then tighten them down with nuts. I think the bolts might be touching the motherboard tray i am not 100% sure but I do think they are.

My question is this, if they are touching the motherboard tray won't this short out the motherboard or is this the way it was meant to be? Their are rubber washers on each side but the bolt goes through them and the end is exposed. There is no other way to mount this fan without those bolts through the motherboard and I think they will touch no matter what. So should I not start up my computer for the first time until I take it back apart and put on another fan and junk this one? Thank you all for your help.

2. techguy26

techguy26 Regular member

It's the way it's suppose to be, it has rubber on the bottm plate, Is it a socket 939 by chance? where the holes are, that part is grounded. so boot her up.

3. Ksan01

Ksan01 Member

I am sorry for not giving more info in my first post. I just ordered this stuff and recieved it all Friday. I spent all day yesterday on my old computer reading and looking at how to build it. First build and I spent $1400 on the parts so I am more than a little worried. It is a asus motherboard and a socket 775 2.4ghz core 2 duo cpu, the fan is a coolmaster vortex. There are rubber incerts on both sides of the motherboard fan holes where the bolts go through. but the ends of the bolts stick out and are touching the motherboard tray so i wanted to see if this was right before I fried it. Thank you, very, very much for any and all help.

4. techguy26

techguy26 Regular member

the holes the bolts go through are grounded and if anything them touching the tray will make the heatsink more stable, you will probably get some vibration but to be 100 percent safe buy a roll of double sided tape or something similar, and put it between the bolts and the tray. pretty much use anythind nonconductive and you will be fine!

5. Ksan01

Ksan01 Member

Thank you, very kind to help.