1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please help

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ozzie1003, Mar 27, 2005.

1. ozzie1003

ozzie1003 Member

i have 3 nec 3520 16x burners, if I burn one drive it's done in 6 min. all 3 drives do this. if I burn 3 at a time it takes 15 min. when I had 3 nec 2500 4x burners it only took me 14 1/2 min at 4x to do 3. If i do 2 at a time it now takes like 13 min. The green lights on the burners are not staying on all the time either. I thought it might be a memory problem but i put a gig in it and the same thing happens. Please help.

2. Daemon404

Daemon404 Regular member

It takes A LOT of CPU power to burn DVD's. Your burners are figth each other for CPU power and time. Taht is why all of the lights are not on all the time.

By teh way, those are pretty low times. I have a 16x burner, but i only burn at 4x, and taht takes liek 15 mins, so nto sure how you get those times..

3. ozzie1003

ozzie1003 Member

if you use 16x blanks they bust out at 6:02.

4. Daemon404

Daemon404 Regular member

But thats burning at 16x or 8x. It's best to burn at 4x to minimize errors.

5. ozzie1003

ozzie1003 Member

cmon guys why cant i run 3 drives at 16x at once.
    do i need a bigger power supply. They work, all good disks too, just slower than they should be. Thanks

6. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Damn, you must be burning a hell of a lot of movies.

7. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Or a lot of copies.

8. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Gotta make sure you've got two spare backups in case your original melts.

9. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

One can never have too many copies....

10. Molder

Molder Regular member

I can't believe he is concerned over 7 min of his time, (have another couple of mouthfulls of beer or a cigarette) OH that's right it is a full set of copier he is missing out on.

Tisk tisk

M

11. sadsac

sadsac Guest

7 minutes..........that's money in the bank! LOL

12. ozzie1003

ozzie1003 Member

I have to make backups of our server at work each week. It ends up being about 20 disks. Each dept gets a copy. With 5 depts and 20 disks you could see why i would need this to work. If no one has any tech advice please dont post.

13. Daemon404

Daemon404 Regular member

I told you, its the CPU Power. You'de need a hell of a lot of CPU power to run 3 burners at 16x. And even then, there would nost likely bee burnign errors.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  14. ozzie1003

ozzie1003 Member

When you say cpu power do you mean processor speed or power supply. I have a 3.0 ht pentium chip and a 400 watt power supply now.

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If speed is what you are after for 3 burners then you need to make sure you have the following..

1. Good processor - Yours should be fine
    2. Power Supply - Again yours should be good
    3. DMA settings - Make sure all your drives are set up in ultra DMA mode. Connected to properly on the IDE cables (80 wire). If you are looking for the best speed consider getting some SATA drives (Plextor).
    4. Make sure all Drivers and Firmware are up to date.

The thing is everything on your computer needs to be up to date and running smoothly in order to accomplish writing on three burners at once with some reliability and speed. Also the media you use plays a big factor in your burning speed as well.

16. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Oh. We thought you were burning 3 copies of the same MOVIE at the same time........we were wondering why you would need that many copies.......unless of course, you were selling bootlegs.

He means CPU power. The power to the drives shouldn't be a problem. Your CPU works overtime to run just one drive, much less 3 at the same time. Your CPU is supplying the information that's getting burned on the drives.

When you burn at 16x, if I'm not mistaken, you're sending 21 megabytes per second down the pipe. When you're running 3 of them, you're trying to send 63 megabytes per second down the bus. Your hard drive is probably limiting you more than the CPU speed. Your hard drive can only supply so much data at once to the bus and the bus can carry only so much data across its bandwidth.

17. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

if backing up your data is the problem, you really need something more robust than dvd burning, even if you're only backing up non-important Windows servers..

Sorry, i'm from the Mainframe world, crosstrained to Unix, so don't see any Windows server as truly business critical :)

18. vike

vike Member

Check your hard drive speed and your cables to and from the mobo. They can only put out and carry x amount of data. Also, check your software. I use SATA 150 cables and Primo to burn to 2 drives at once with no notable decrease in speeed.

19. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

ozzie1003

First I am assuming that just a full Tape Backup nightly is not going to work for your needs since it sounds like each department wants to view their prior work.

How big of an HDD are you using currently in your server?
    What brand and model also out of curiosity, built for speed or built to last like most server HDD’s?
    Do you have or have you tried a Windows based ghosting program which allows complete HDD backups to another HDD, including external HDD's which can be placed in a fire safe or distributed without the aid of ANY DVD burning?

These programs can run in the background while your server is also running, never missing a beat! Extreme overkill either way but if each department MUST have there own copies weekly, then 5 Externals can do the trick instead of you having to do anything really since once plugged into any PC, and once the main program is loaded in each departments PC, they can access the external HDD and view each and every file to their hearts content. If need be, the entire HDD can be remounted back the way it was or even a partial of the HDD can be replaced since this is a full backup. If you only need each department’s data per backup, then this too can be setup to be done. The time for a FULL backup runs less then 1 minute per gig of data, not per gig of HD. So if I read you correctly, if your HDD has 90 or so gigs of actual data, figure 90 minutes of un-supervised time needed to load into external HDD. Again, this can be done in the background while other programs are running as well.

Once again, the normal way is just a tape backup nightly, switching out the tapes each day. But if your company must have their very own copies of actual data, then why not just use something like the original source, another HDD. At least this way no more “burning time” required on your part.

I forgot one other thing. Each department can have this complete or partial backup placed on their PC directly, through the network, providing their PC has the space to handle it, so no need for an external HD.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005