1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by rachellew, Apr 15, 2005.

1. rachellew

rachellew Member

I have been trying to make back up copies of my son's ps2 games and i am having no luck. Here's the situation. I am far from expert and i am stuck!!! I have swap magic and slide tool. I have figured all that out. When i get to insert disk i slide swap slide press x and......NOTHING!! i get a red boreder which i discovered means didn't work. I am using alcohol 120 i think i have a pretty good burner, I have tried sony dvd-r maxell dvd-r could this be problem?/ Please help any input is great

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

you use the slide card to open AND close the tray, right?

3. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/tisinc99/ps2scinst.htm <----Slide card instructions

Use Quality Media I use
    Verbatim dvd+r

***** BURN AT NO MORE THAN 2X****** <-----------(IMPORTANT)
    TURN OFF ANY BACKGROUND APPLICATIONS

1. Take the ps2 game put it in the dvd rom or dvd burner, your choice.

2. open the dvd decryptor program then go to to tool bar and hit MODE>ISO>READ. Then choose the correct dvd drive that the game is in as the "source". Also choose where you want the files to be stored on the pc hdd. THEN CLICK DECRYPT , or the huge graphical picture at the bottom of the program which makes it run. The game is now copying to your HDD. Take the game out when finished (it might take a while).

3. Go to the same tab in dvd decryptor and choose MODE>ISO>WRITE. This will then let you look for the files you just created in step 2. Select the file that you just created. (There is only 2 files creadted so pick the .mds) (The smaller file)Then click WRITE, make sure there is blank DVD in the drive

4. rachellew

rachellew Member

First yes i use the slide to oen but i push closed then i slide the switch back over. is this right Second what is the dvd decrypter? Is that burning software? I use alcohol. Is this not good?

5. Atom_224

Atom_224 Member

The flip top is very easy compared to the slide tool. May want to consider that one of these days. All you need is a screwdriver to install it. Try this, power up your ps2 without a dvd in it. Slide swap a known original. If it works you know your slide tool technique is fine. Then check your burning.

dvd decryptor is the easiest software & free.
    You simply read and image,
    then burn the image. Set the speed to as SLOW as your drive can go. Then use quality media. I like TDK. Other people love Verbatim. Stick with a good name brand. Most ps2 like dvd-r, so you're ok there.

ALSO, some of my games turn the border red briefly before they load. I think it depends on the version of swap magic. AND, some games need an additional loader or a patch to work. It is highly unlikely that every game you have copied is one of those games though.

Give it another try and post your results. Also the version of swap magic, ps2 and the titles of the games might help us out.

good luck

Atom

6. rachellew

rachellew Member

THANK YOU for answering me i am going to try swap with original right now i never thought of that!!!! My swap magic is dvd version 2.0 cd version 3.0 or 3.2 it says both? i'll reply after i try original

7. rachellew

rachellew Member

okay this is what i just tried i booted ps2 with nothing put swap magic dvd in use slide from l to r pulled tray uot with slide tool tried swapping with a known original pushed closed used slide tool from l to r felt thingy grab then slid back to left push x nothing again!!!!

8. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

clean lens on ps2.might or might not solve problem but it doesnt hurt and good to do anyway.

9. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Use Better Media
    BURN AT 2X SPEED

If you are doing the steps right it HAS to be your media
    or your burn speed.
    Not all media works well with the ps2,or
    you burnt your backups too fast.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

The following list is in preference order. The best discs are near the top of the list.
    Almost flawless burns with 95-100% reliable results:

MCC = Mitsubishi Chemicals = (-R)<-----------------VERBATIM MY CHOICE #1
    TDKG02 = TDK Corp = (-R) ... be aware of unbranded fakes
    TAIYOYUDEN or YUDEN = Taiyo Yuden = (-R)<--------------FUJIFILM (made in japan) MY CHOICE #2

10. rachellew

rachellew Member

Should my ps 2 be able to play burt movies? Without swap disks?

11. hursty

hursty Active member

12. hursty

hursty Active member

what games are you trying to boot?
    and with which of the 2 disc's are you using?

13. rachellew

rachellew Member

Well my ps 2 wont the version is 390001. I have tried spyro year of the dragon crash playboy mansion nothing works. I can play original dvd's in it but won't read burnt copys. Maybe i will try +r's all mine r -r's. I have swap magic 2.0 dvd version 3.0(or3.2) cd version. I really wish i could get this damn thing to work. I am sooooooooooooooo fustrated

14. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

have you cleaned your lens yet?my ps2 didnt play anything but ps2 games(not even the ps2 cd games).i cleaned my lens with alcohol.it plays everything now.

alcohol works best to get caked on dust and scuff marks from when you dropped the ps2 while playing a game and the disc rubbed up against the lens(more people than you think have done this before)

also try your copied dvd movie in a dvd player.if it works then your media cant be the fault.seeing as though your swap magic didnt boot an orginal game(very important)it might be your lens.

15. Atom_224

Atom_224 Member

it must be the slide tool that isn't working right.

also you are using the swap dvd right? the swap cd wont work for dvd games. If you still are having trouble I would recommend a flip top. Much easier than the slide tool. let me know if you need any help with that (installation).

good luck

Atom

16. rachellew

rachellew Member

Well i am sure leery of buying a flip top or anything else when i can't get this thing to work. I am pretty sure i am using slide tool right. Like I said i can't even play burnt movies... won't read. Maybe does my ps2 version does not work with this? If anyone knows any hint i read on some site that some version 3 you have to change your lens biase (not the little white dial) they were some sort of screws but i really don't want to fusk around too much inside. I already broke the power eject ribbion once and the controller ribbion. It is my son's ps and he was pissed!! He is 6 which is why i wanted to back up my games. Grubby little fingers!!! Well i guess i am going to have to throw in the towel for this one. Please if you have any ideas help me out

17. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

sounds like your ps2 doesn't like the blank dvd's your using.

18. Atom_224

Atom_224 Member

if it can't read burnt movies then something is wrong. Your ps2 either cant read burnt media or the media is faulty. I am guessing since you have tried more than one kind of media you are ok there. Do some searching to see what model you have and what its potential is. Some early ps2 may not read recordable media. Best to check the ps2 sites for info.

Atom

19. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

your problem is too broad and confusing at that(no offense).why dont you try narrowing your problem down first by:

1.see if your dvd movie backups play on a regular dvd player
    2.see if your ps2 backups plays on someone elses ps2 w/swap magic

if all work then it is ps2 prob.if they dont then its not your ps2 a prob then.by the way, sony dvd is a very good media i doubt that is your problem.

20. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

its a v7.i have the exact same model(390001) and it plays backups(both games and movies)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2005