1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Please insert a blank or rewriteable DVD 9."

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ansezantz, Oct 21, 2004.

1. ansezantz

ansezantz Member

Sorry if my questions are stupid.
    I have an internal Philips DVD+RW 9 drive. It can also do CD+RW. I bought some DVD blanks. Memorex DVD-R. I guess DVD- cannot be used/burnt on DVD+?? I get an error message "Please insert a blank or rewriteable DVD 9." I read through some of the messages on this forum, and I figured DVD 9 blank DVDs aren't even out yet?

Anyways, I just want to burn movie DVDs, so that I may watch them (on a computer mostly).

Another thing, I realised that the forum is about making backup DVDs of ones that you already possess. I want to rent DVDs, and make a copy for myself. I don't really possess it, so would that be illegal in the United States?

2. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Yes, plus(+) and dash (-) are different formats. A burner has to be both to burn both. Memorex is not a very good brand. Check out the media forum here for a good brand. I use Ritek Ridata from NewEgg.com. You might also download a DVD ID from http://media.fastclick.net/w/get.media?sid=9388&m=5&url=http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Next, there are DVD 9 disc but dual layered blank discs are not cheap. I have a DL bruner and for now I am just using DVD Shrink to compress to a DVD 5. Shrink is free and a great program.

Last, it is illegal to copy a disc, but it happens and if you are not selling the copies. Well it is your chioce.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Illegal yes, ours to judge you, no.

Philips DVDR824P DVD+RW

Supported Disc Formats

DVD: DVD single layer / Dual layer, DVD+R (Ver.1.0), DVD+RW (Ver.1.1), DVD-R (Read Only), DVD-RW (Read Only)

CD: CD-DA, CD-ROM XA (m1, m2f1/m2f2), CD-R CD-RW, Bootable CD, Photo CD (single & multi-session), Video CD, Super Video CD, CD-Extra, Mixed-mode CD, CD-Text, CD-Graphics

If your drive is the one listed above or has the same format support, then you can only burn the +R/RW media. These drives burn the 4.7 DVD5 discs as well as the DVD9 dual layer media. For DVD5 you have to have a transcoder program and a decryption program if one isn't included and a burner program. The basic formula is Rip + Encode + Burn. There is the free DVD Decrypter that will decrypt and rip to the hard drive. DVD Shrink decrypts and encodes, but needs the Nero burning ROM or the burner part of the DVD Decrypter program.

For the DL DVD9 media all you need to do is decrypt and record with the appropriate burner software. You may have it and the reason your PC asks for the DVD9 is because that is where it is set. It probably has a setting for the smaller 4.7 as well, or should. If you have trouble with what you have, download the 30 day Nero trial (don't install InCD portion, interference problems for DVD recording). Trial downloads are unlimited in number. Most people buy it to keep from having to download monthly.

Media can be bought from Meritline and others online.

It would be helpful if you include the complete model info if you have any further questions.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG]

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

[bold]Et tu, Brute![/bold][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2004
  4. ansezantz

ansezantz Member

Wow thanks for the help, replied within an hour! I don't think even paid help can be that fast.
    I have a Dell Dimension8400, almost like the one rroettger has. My burning drive is
    Philips DVD+RW DVD8601 (and it's my E drive if that helps)
    It also states:
    Type: DVD+RW9 Firmware revision: 6D11 Double Layer

I use the pre-installed "Sonic RecordNow! version7.10 DLX Deluxe for Dell", it's for both Cds and DVDs. I burnt a Cd a few days ago, and it's perfect, and I tried to burn a DVD today, and I had this problem. It's my first time trying to burn a DVD, so I am a newbie at this.

I tried searching for an option that will allow me to switch to DVD5 but wasn't able to find it. I guess my burning drive only burns DVD 9s? I guess it was a bad buy then?

Ritek Ridata is expensive stuff. 10 for 90$! Are there cheaper DVD 9s?

If copying DVDs is illegal then does it matter if it was rent or that you possess another copy of it? I always think that if I made a VHS copy and kept it to myself it wouldn't be illegal, but yet DVD is?

Successful! I used my friend's disc, it automatically changed to DVD5. I thank your wonderful help.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  5. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

I have Sonic Record Now also, but I have never used it. It is not going to copy DVDs for you. DVDs have copyright protection.
    That is where DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter come in or there are other programs. Just do some reading here at the different formus or guides. I use Shrink for now. Shrink will allow you to decrypt the movie then either compress and/or edit the menus, extras, audio streams and the main movie. I use the deep analysis which helps the picture quality when encoding. In the preferences you can select the target file size of DVD 5 or 9. Then I use Decrypter to burn the movie. You can download both DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter for free, just follow the links. I have not done a dual layer disc yet, but these program will do the job.
    As for the Ritek, I bought 100 DVD-R 4.7 G for $46 and the shipping was free at NewEgg. The dual layer is going to cost. Here is the thread for some sites, but 10 for $90 is the best price. Remember a few months ago you could not even buy DVD 9 blanks. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/112600

Is it legal. No copying copyrighted material without permission is not legal. If you own a copy and are just backing it up, well the argument rages on. You can also read all about this here at afterdawn.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    DELL Dimension 8300 XP Pro SP2
    Pentium 4 3.2GHz HT 1GB DDR SDRAM
    2x160GB RAID 0 SATA HDD
    16xDVD-ROM 8xDVD DL+R/+R/+RW
    19" LCD. Dolby 5.1[/small]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  6. brobear

brobear Guest

Sounds like you need a good recording suite. Nero is one of the best. Buy the top line package and you get Recode2 which is one of the better DVD recording programs. You also get a burning ROM and a multitude of other programs and utilities. Go to the Nero website and you can check it out. You can get a free 30 day trial download, no limit on the times it can be downloaded. You'll need the free DVD Decrypter to decode the factory DVDs. Nero also has user guides you can download from the site. A word of warning, don't install the InCD portion, it causes DVD recording problems.

I forgot to mention, Nero works with DVD 5 and DVD 9 DL.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG]

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

[bold]Et tu, Brute![/bold][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2004