1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please rate. buying blank dvd's today.

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by fishbulb, Nov 20, 2004.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

okay, i know there's no shortage of posts saying which brand is best/worst, etc. but i plan on buying my first somewhat large spindle today and will probably be between the following brands. please rate them from best to worst. no explanations needed as to why u do or don't like them. just rate them on your own experience or word of mouth...
    -verbatim
    -tdk
    -maxell
    -sony
    -fuji
    also, is there a noticeable quality difference or none at all between +/-R and +/-RW? because if i can afford to keep using RW i will. i figure if i screw one or more up i'd rather be able to redo that disc rather than lose it.
    thanx again.

2. qetuo

qetuo Member

You should know the media codes, if you want a safe judgement.

In my opinion all are very good, except the TDKs (if its the new 8X, I had problems with them)

3. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

is this an example of a media code:MXLRG01, MXLRG02= MAXELL= (-R)(-RW)? will this be on the pkg somewhere or will i have to buy the discs and then check the codes with my computer and take my chances?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  4. MrSpeed

MrSpeed Guest

Maybe this link will help you. I found it to be quite accurate.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Beware of RitekG04 fakes. Ritek disc should have the Ridata logo in the center of the disc. I found this to be a good indication of telling a fake from the real thing. And yes I receive some fakes.

5. qetuo

qetuo Member

Yes you should first buy the discs and then you can see the media code, unfortunately... ;)

But they are all generally very good discs, unless you get a bad batch, your not gonna have a problem...

6. DogOThndr

DogOThndr Member

I'm relatively new to this, but I recently bought 2 25pk's of TDK 4X DVD-R's (DVD-R47CCB25) and they work great. They record fast, and so far, I've not had to throw any away because of bad burns... The were inexpensive, $12.99/25 at Best Buy a month ago.
    <p>
    Just my .02 worth.

7. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

You should check your DVD burner manufacturers website first to see what your particular burner likes. People have been touting Ritek and Verbatim media here for as long as I can remember, but I knew my NEC 1100A loved anything by RICOHJPN, and I rarely have a bad burn with them.
    Also, you should know that name brands don't tell you much about who actually manufacturers the DVD. TDK, Memorex, and Fuji sometimes have RICOHJPN. But for example, Taiyo Yuden also makes disks for Fuji. Taiyo Yudens are the best next to MCC (Mitsubishi, not CMC Mag crap), and for me, RICOH and then Ritek. But since you ask:

Verbatim
    Fuji
    Sony
    Maxell
    TDK
    BTW, DogOThndr, I'm almost sure those Fuji 8X in the 25-pack are Taiyo Yuden.

8. vatsim5

vatsim5 Member

TY's are the best next to MCC? Sorry most on here would
    disagree. MCC is good quality but most will tell you that
    you can't match TY for reliability, quality and longevity
    for archiving material. Zeide.

9. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

have a sony dru 710a...use...verbatim +R....burn nicely...no probs

10. ERA2000

ERA2000 Regular member

Taiyo Yuden's Are very good.
    The best media I've tried.

11. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... The Maxell discs are also excellent ...

12. DVMaster

DVMaster Member

I just bought some FUJIFILM. Looked at the manufacturer ID and it said TYG01 which I think means Taiyo Yuden.

I also bought some Sony 8x. ID is SONY08D1. Don't know if these are good.

13. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

Looked at the manufacturer ID and it said TYG01

was that on the packaging or did u have to open them and use one of those programs to find out. i bought some maxells today and no manufacturer on pkg.

14. DVMaster

DVMaster Member

I used Nero InfoTool.

15. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Been using Maxell yellow tops, 15 pk, up to 4x speed,DVD-R. All are MXL RG02 and TY G04. I have 4 different players and not one skip,stutter,pixalate or freeze among them. Search: dvd info pro, and get the free version. It will tell you the media ID. Also if you use dvd decrypter it will tell you the ID in the log.Stay away from cmc mag. Nothing but junk.

PS: Been buying the maxell's at WAL-Mart.

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hello all just thought I would post a little info on this subject.. :)
    The Fuji Film DVDR's that say made in Japan are manufactured by TaiyoYuden. The other's they have I think made in Taiwan are no good, but if you find the Fuji Films made in japan i would grab up as many as I could get my hands on because Fuji is trying to get rid of those so they are dirt cheap right now. Taiyo Yuden will not be manufacturing DVD's for Fuji anymore they went with the cheaper manufaturer CMC which is one of the worst quality disk's on the market. OK Now I will rate those disk's you listed... This is just from personal experance and nothing ele
    1. Taiyo Yuden
    2. Taiyo Yuden
    3. Taiy.... ohhh opps sorry LOL
    OK Here ya go
    1.Fuji Film (If made in Japan as these are Taiyo Yuden)
    2. TDK
    3. Verbatim (Only used the "Data Life Plus")
    4. Maxell
    5. I can't comment on the Sony's because I have never used them.. I have used both Ritek, & Prodisc. Both worked fine...
    Happy disk hunting, and if you get lucky and your local Best Buy still has the Fuji Film's made in Japan (Mine ran out) :-( then grab some of those cause they are going for a really good price right now..